Brand Spankin' New Jeep Owner! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Brand Spankin' New Jeep Owner!

Hello everyone!

As of late last month (March), my wife and I are proud owners of a brand new 2011 Jeep Compass Sport! It is the first jeep that either of us has ever had the pleasure of owning. Neither of us are off-roaders or adventurer's of the sort, but we have always liked the Jeep brand and especially the styling of the new Compass.

We previously owned 2 vehicles, a 2007 Ford Focus SES and 2007 Ford Escape XLS. We were going to trade both in for a newer Escape, but the local lot was also a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership where the new Compass caught our eye (as did the commercials). We loved it and chose it as our family vehicle.

Now, I realize that many think it is a mini-me Grand Cherokee, and it is in some aspects, but we love the style without having the larger frame to drive. It has been a terrific vehicle from the start, great handling, comfortable ride, great interior, and good-looking stance. I would highly recommend the new Compass.

I have a few goals in mind in joining this website. I love customizing looks (particularly lighting, ie LED's), adding performance and efficiency, and not only learning from other members on the forum, but also interjecting some of what I learn to help others.

I am very excited to be a part of this forum and hope to learn some things as I go. I hope everyone is having a good day and thank you all for setting up a great resource for those that have chosen the right direction...the Jeep Compass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 PM

Hi,

Congratulations and welcome !!!!!

I'm just waiting delivery of a 2011 Jeep Compass (see my sig) and am driving my 2003 Ford Escape XLS (with over 222,0000 kms). I was going to replace it with another Escape but when I first saw the new Compass, I had a similar reaction to yours, and ultimately bought one.

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
post #3 of 15 Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbridge View Post
Hi,

Congratulations and welcome !!!!!

I'm just waiting delivery of a 2011 Jeep Compass (see my sig) and am driving my 2003 Ford Escape XLS (with over 222,0000 kms). I was going to replace it with another Escape but when I first saw the new Compass, I had a similar reaction to yours, and ultimately bought one.

"G"
Thanks so much gbridge for the welcome! We have the basic edition 2x4 stock, except it has the CVT. I must say that it has a ton of standard features as it is (the heated side mirrors will be a huge plus when it gets icy here during the winter, and it does a lot), much more than our old Escape! The black is very nice looking! I will get a pic up soon.

Don't get me wrong though, our Escape was a great vehicle. It got us through a move from SW Missouri up to Oregon, then back to the midwest, plus numerous trips up to Nebraska. When we moved, we sold all of our stuff and packed everything else we owned into the back of the Escape, we did it twice cross-country.

It was a nice SUV, but our Compass feels like several steps up in terms of looks and feel. We love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 PM

Garage
Welcome to the Compass family bud!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the site!
post #6 of 15 Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us and congrats on your Compass, look forward to seeing some pics when you can! So what do you have in mind for it in the performance aspect? There's a few avenues available there. Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 15 Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us and congrats on your Compass, look forward to seeing some pics when you can! So what do you have in mind for it in the performance aspect? There's a few avenues available there. Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee
Thanks Cherokee!

I would like to add more high end torque. When I accelerate, it does pretty good. However, when I am at higher speeds on the highway and head up hill a little bit, it goes into higher rpm's pretty easily. I know that it has a lot to do with the CVT, but was hoping for a little more push. I would think an upgraded air filter and cat-back exhaust would be the main things, but maybe you guys have some suggestions as well. Would the aftermarket exhaust systems for the older style Compass fit the new?
post #8 of 15 Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Administrator

I think a good CAI and freer flowing exhaust would definitely help. I'm not all that sure on what may have changed between model years as far as the exhaust goes, though one would think it wouldn't be much.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #9 of 15 Old 04-22-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I think a good CAI and freer flowing exhaust would definitely help. I'm not all that sure on what may have changed between model years as far as the exhaust goes, though one would think it wouldn't be much.

- Cherokee
Thanks Cherokee! Where would you suggest would be the best place to find those parts for a good price?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Welcome

Congrats on your new Compass. My daughter-in-law and I each have a 2011. We've had them a month and really like them.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 PM

Garage
Well Congrats. Im also a new owner of a jeep compass. i bought her last year in october. I kn ow your wondering why she has a gender. Its because i Just installed Carlashes on to her with rinestone eyeliner. Im the only person in town sporting car lashes on there vehicle. Im recommending them im not a dealer of them just wanted to let you all know its beautiful.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator

brawleyman, I'm going to have to look around and see, but you can always do a DIY intake for not much money other than a filter and a few parts you can find at your local hardware store. As for exhaust on the 2011's, that's something I'm going to research since I'm not sure what, if any changes have been made there from previous models.

nm7864, we'd definitely like to see some pics when you can, there's another member on here who mentioned these carlashes.

- Cherokee

post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
brawleyman, I'm going to have to look around and see, but you can always do a DIY intake for not much money other than a filter and a few parts you can find at your local hardware store. As for exhaust on the 2011's, that's something I'm going to research since I'm not sure what, if any changes have been made there from previous models.

nm7864, we'd definitely like to see some pics when you can, there's another member on here who mentioned these carlashes.

- Cherokee
I wonder, is there anything I have to worry about as far as sensors or anything on the intake housing that will make the engine light come on if I do anything with the intake system?

Also, I found out that in our state, we don't have emission laws, so you can take off your muffler, cat converter, or even the whole dang thing! I wonder how much power that would add without the cat converter?
post #14 of 15 Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

You shouldn't get a CEL from modding your intake, not so long as everything is installed correctly. Have you checked to see what Mopar offers for CAI's for the Compass? Nice to know you don't have to worry about emissions, we don't either, here but it does free you up to do what you want.

- Cherokee

post #15 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 AM

Taking off exhaust etc are not necessarily going to help in many of the new engines are tuned and designed with the back pressure in mind. Going to straight pipe or equivalent will give a lot of noise but not necessarily more HP although it may sound like you're going fast until pulled over for a noise violation and not speeding. LOL

I ride snowmobiles and they have had tuned exhausts for decades. the combinaltion of muffler, CAT, resonators are not just thrown in there for looks or to take up space.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in