New Member to the Forum, Long-time Lurker - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Member to the Forum, Long-time Lurker

Hi All;

1st time Jeep owner since 2-2007 when we purchased our 2007 Compass Sport 4WD. I have been lurking here intermittently for the last six months, mostly looking for technical information.

The Compass replaced our 1990 Chevy Astrovan as the family truckster. It was up for inspection, had been "nickle and diming" us to death with repairs, hemorrhaged "some kinda fluid" copiously, and just needed to be outright replaced. At 185,000 miles and purchased used at 110,000 miles with a blown motor for $700, it had served us well. We moved two households with it, traveled around the country, and it was the every day "Griswald-mobile". Replacement had been apparent to us for a while and we had been making trips to dealers over a period of months.

Living in the Pittsburgh area, the winters weren't horrific but challenging at times. We helped the Astrovan by placing our entire weight set over the rear axel for traction, every winter. At times though, it just wasn't cutting it.

We wanted 4 wheel drive, better fuel economy, and still had to have a degree of cargo capacity at times. The Compass seemed to be what we wanted and we haven't regretted the purchase yet.

Just hit 37,000 miles and made what seems to be the obligatory tie rod end repair last year at 25,500 miles. That appears to be a little earlier than what a lot of people report for it, but I credit that to Pennsylvania roads which can really chew up vehicles.

Otherwise it has been great and very dependable.

Boscovec
++++++++++++++++
Stock 2007 Compass Sport 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM

HI Boscovec,

Welcome to the forum !!!!!

Sorry to hear about the front end repair work at such a low mileage......

I am glad to hear that you are still happy with the Compass overall. I am waiting (patiently) for my 2011 Compass and this is my first time with any Chrysler product.

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey G;

Although I mentioned the tie rod repair, there are pluses I didn't mention. I have had several other Chrysler products and they all consistently went through a complete set of brake pads every 12-18 months. My father (a conservative driver) said he'd had the same experiences with the Chrysler's he'd owned. I had transmissions go on 2 of them (high mileage) and engines seize on 2 as well.

I have multiple each Hyundai, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota vehicles. All had their high points and low points. Chrysler was the least likely to be a repeat purchase based on experiences. We had better hopes from Jeep but weren't sure if it would be a simple badging that would separate it from the other Chrysler products vs how much "actual Jeep" would still be there.

I'm not trying to bash any manufacturer. Over the years, I have had quite a few mostly higher mileage vehicles, maintained and repaired them myself, and have had mostly good fortune with that approach. I have been able to pay about $1,000 per vehicle and sunk another $500 to $1,000 each in repairs. With two exceptions, I managed to get 50,000 to 60,000 miles out of each one. I drive 'em till they drop.

When we first got it, my wife drove at every opportunity. She loves it and still takes the opportunity to drive it whenever she can. We have been tempted to get another. The plans are to keep the Compass until it drops.

The CVT transmission doesn't glide as much as a normal automatic which is a pro in my book as it allows me to somewhat use the transmission to slow the vehicle like I have been accustomed to with the stick shifts I've had (and prefer).

I think you'll like it. Until we saw it at the dealer's, we didn't even know it existed. The salesman knew the product well, we took it for a drive, and we were sold on it!

Boscovec
++++++++++++++++
Stock 2007 Compass Sport 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us ....great folks in here ready to help.....you'll be able to post pics once you reach 15 posts.......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the site Boscovec!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Boscovec, glad you found us and joined up! Good to hear you're enjoying your Compass as well, look forward to seeing some pics when you can! Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 04-21-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in