2011 latitude - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 05-07-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

2011 latitude

Hey Jeepers,
Just picked up my 2011 jeep compass latitude about a week ago and it's awesome. I don't have a long loved relationship with Jeep or anything, and I definately don't go off road, but the Compass was the only thing in its class that was affordable and didn't look like such a feminine mom-mobile. I wanted something small yet logical, and at the same time big... If that makes any sense.

The first thing I noticed about the compass when I test drove it was that when you sit in it you feel like your in a bigger car. From the outside it looks like the size of a Subaru Outback, but when you sit behind the wheel you think you're in a Cherokee. That's what I wanted in a car! The Kia Sportage felt like driving a van but this thing feels like a small truck. It probably has to do with the seats being elevated so high.

The car is not fast. It's not slow but if I wanted fast I would get a GTI or something, the whole idea was to get a car that wasn't big but I could put stuff in it, snowboard, guitar equipment, friends, etc.. People say this car is bumpy, I think those people bumped their head. The suspension is a little stiff but the car rides smooth like my grandmas Lincoln Towncar, love it.

The exterior is legit* (*that's californian for: cool) the main reason why I bought it. Just look at the pictures, the black pearl coat looks even better in person.

The interior is pretty good. It's no BMW, but the interior is pretty cool for the price. I stuck with the standard stereo, very few features but I like the steering wheel mounted controls, its $2500 to upgrade the deck so I declined, as long as i can plug in my phone/mp3 player that's enough for me. they shoud incorporate an actual compass into the dashboard, that would really tie the whole theme together. I added leather because the cloth seats were kinda ugly, other than that the interior is fly.

Now, if you are a mother of two, or a 64 year old retiree, this post will be absolutely useless to you. I'm a 24 year old single male that drives about 20 miles a day back and fourth to work. I don't have kids and I live in the 10th largest city in the U.S., I would not descirbe the streets of San Jose as treturous terrain. So take my sloppy review for what it's worth.

When I was looking for a car I found very few user reviews or information, so since I bit the bullet feel free to ask any questions about anything. Really, anything, even ask me about the smell of the car. I'm happy to be here and I look forward to contributing to this forum. By the way, the car smells beautiful.

-Jerk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Garage
You are no Jerk-McJeep

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your contribution.
You really HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD in your analysis.
The COMPASS really meets so many needs and is a great ride.
Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Garage
Welcome!

I have a 2011 Compass and I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. We originally had a 2007 Escape, it was a great SUV, but rode a little rough and didn't have much going for it as far as style and standard equipment.

I have several plans for sprucing up the looks of mine. As I get some mods going, I will start posting pics. I am a lighting snob and love lights and driving at night.

I always wondered why if the the vehicle is called a "Compass", why wouldn't it come with a compass...standard? Just a thought.

Hope to hear more from you also! Post pics and comments around here and there and enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNightling View Post
Welcome!

I always wondered why if the the vehicle is called a "Compass", why wouldn't it come with a compass...standard? Just a thought.

Hope to hear more from you also! Post pics and comments around here and there and enjoy!
Ya think?
Somebody in product development is sure missing the boat . . . we wondered the same thing when the Compass first arrived.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 PM

But following that line of thought, wouldn't buying a Cherokee or an Chevrolet Impala be a bit...errr awkward? Would you have to feed them?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Very nice review, welcome to the forum and congrats on your Compass! You described yours pretty much the same as I described mine to people and I bought mine for many of the same reasons. The price was within my limits, but there was just something irresistible about the Compass that I just had to have one! Be sure to post some pics when you can, we'd all love to see it and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Dead on JerkMcJeep! The 4x4 lever is in a crappy spot. I think it's waisting space. Jeep could have put it on the dash or made it a push button. Other that and the location of the main shifter, i'm happy with my 2011 compass.
Stay Safe.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD235NY View Post
Dead on JerkMcJeep! The 4x4 lever is in a crappy spot. I think it's waisting space. Jeep could have put it on the dash or made it a push button. Other that and the location of the main shifter, i'm happy with my 2011 compass.
Stay Safe.
I didn't get 4x4 so I don't have that problem but I do agree with you about the shifter, it doesn't look very sporty but when you are resting your arm on the armrest it's perfectly located for shifting in "manual mode" (or whatever you want to call it) It's been over a month since I pulled off the lot and I still love it.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Garage
welcome! but your dealer was incorrect when they told you it was over two grand to upgrade the radio. the 430 touchscreen media center is just over $600. i should know, look at my sig
post #10 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
welcome! but your dealer was incorrect when they told you it was over two grand to upgrade the radio. the 430 touchscreen media center is just over $600. i should know, look at my sig
When I said upgrade I meant to the touch screen navigation with the 30gig hard drive and uConnect and all the other bells and whistles. I dont recall the model number but it had a price tag of about $2500. The dealer knew I was trying to keep the price low so he suggested I went aftermarket. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that my iPhone (even at full retail) is cheaper than the nav and can do way more. So I figured as long as there is an Aux input, screw the stereo.

The media center 130 though lacking functionality still sounds pretty good. Audio is my profession, I'm a recording engineer with a degree in sound arts, I don't mean to blow my own horn but I sorta know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio. But car audio is a totally different realm.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 PM

Garage
ah, i thought you were talking about the 430, i didn't realize you meant the 430N. yeah, to get that package is pretty significant, with the sun/sound group also. being around these cars all the time and showing the features, i couldn't live without one pretty well loaded. my wife hates leather, so i got a latitude instead. now she loves the fact that she has heated cloth seats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in