Starter Failures with limp home and ETC code - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Starter Failures with limp home and ETC code

Hi,
I own a 2007 Jeep Compass with about 80K mileage. I purchased it used a year ago and have replaced the starter 3 times now. I think the dealer is fixing the symptom (result) not the root cause. Luckily I have not had to pay for these repairs but it is still a pain.
Situation: Driving at highway speeds always in snowy / cold conditions; car will suddenly go into limp home mode and the ETC (electronic throttle control) light comes on. Once car is shut off and keyed on, the lights go away but car with not start. You do get a burnt electrical smell. Since it is a manual, the last two times, I pushed started the car and drove it back to the dealer without issue (no lights or performance issues). The dealer says he only replaces the starter and it works again.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshlema View Post
Hi,
I own a 2007 Jeep Compass with about 80K mileage. I purchased it used a year ago and have replaced the starter 3 times now. I think the dealer is fixing the symptom (result) not the root cause. Luckily I have not had to pay for these repairs but it is still a pain.
Situation: Driving at highway speeds always in snowy / cold conditions; car will suddenly go into limp home mode and the ETC (electronic throttle control) light comes on. Once car is shut off and keyed on, the lights go away but car with not start. You do get a burnt electrical smell. Since it is a manual, the last two times, I pushed started the car and drove it back to the dealer without issue (no lights or performance issues). The dealer says he only replaces the starter and it works again.
Any suggestions?
Hey beshlema,

TSB 18-018-08 REV. A may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Flash: DTC P2110 / Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Lamp Flashes at Speeds Greater
Than 95 Miles Per Hour
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM).
NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a CVT transmission must have the transmission
control module (TCM) checked for the latest software level whenever the
PCM software is updated. If newer TCM software is available, it must be
installed. Failure to maintain software coordination may result in MIL
illumination or driveability concerns.
MODELS:
**2007** - 2008 (MK74) Patriot
NOTE: This Bulletin applies to models equipped with a 2.4L engine & automatic
CVT2L (Off Road) transmission (Sales Code ED3 with DAW) built prior to
April 2, 2008 (MDH 0402XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience the electronic throttle control (ETC) lamp flashing in the
instrument panel if the vehicle is driven over 95 miles per hour. Vehicles equipped with a
CVT2L (Off Road) transmission are not designed to be driven at excess speeds. To
protect the transmission, vehicle systems will “torque limit” at speeds greater than 95 miles
per hour and will prevent the vehicle from going faster. The ETC lamp flashing may cause
customer concern, especially when the vehicle torque limits and prevents the vehicle from
going faster.
NOTE: It is normal for vehicles equipped with a CVT2L transmission to torque limit
and prevent vehicle speeds above 95 MPH.
Further investigation by the technician may find DTC 2110 - Electronic Throttle Control -
Forced Limited RPM.
It is important that the customer understands the operating characteristics of the vehicle.
The software available with this Service Bulletin will eliminate ETC lamp flashing but will
not change the torque limits associated with vehicle operation.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM

I doubt too there is still an issue that toasting the starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM

I had similar problems with the throttle body. I ended up having to replace the throttle body and haven't had any problems out of it since. You could try calibrating it first to see if that fixes the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in