7Likes
  • 3 Post By Nick Kaminski
  • 2 Post By Nick Kaminski
  • 2 Post By Nick Kaminski

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Getting my Compass Thursday - Off Road Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited to announce I'll be getting my fully detailed and serviced 2013 Jeep Compass on Thursday. I can't wait to start driving off road and saving lots of time getting to work and back.
I have a question about google maps... I can't find the "off road" setting. It still shows me routes that involve taking the roads instead of going direct cross-country. What setting do you use in google maps, or do you just use a compass and follow a bearing to your destination?

Thanks,
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM

LOL
Good Luck with it!!!

I wonder why Google doesn't have off road routes. I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

I see your tagline recomments NOT buying a Jeep Compass. So why would you be on a jeep compass forum? Is this some sort of troll post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 PM

No but you see I own one and it my wifes.

Reliability was extremely poor and parts failure early in life. Maybe better luck with newer builds and generation like yours but you need to have some level of power train warranty with the purchase a least. Test drive it long and well. If the CVT is or becomes a problem the cost would likely floor you. I asked dealer once and they said you don't want to know...LOL

There isn't a lot original in the 2009 you see in the signature. Also this is NOT a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee JEEP. Its built on a car chassis starting in 2007 (Calibre) as was the Patriot. Go back and read threads in key areas for some history.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Totally different vehicle for 2013 vs 2008
post #6 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 06:21 PM

True but there are similarities in the power train. Parts quality on OEM parts were the biggest issue for years. Make sure the Chrysler dealer has patched the latest software releases for both the Transmission and Engine as they release them as required!!! This fixes many problems!!! You want it done while you're there as they'll charge you to do it later. A lot depends also on the dealer. Test everything on the lot. Stereo, CD and MP3 playing to be sure all options are working as best you can.

this is just a heads up and if its not a jeep/chrysler dealer you had better check and recheck everything including road test it. Many issues with CVT exhibiting problems when heated under load not detected in basic driving which could be near a 10,000$ dealer bill.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM

OH and see the Forbes link in a post here - http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...html#post81090

It makes the list every year!! Actual Chrysler is the winner with 5 vehicles in this list. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

It doesn't have CVT it has the regular 4x4 6-speed automatic transmission.

Last edited by Neil; 10-25-2016 at 06:30 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Ok, I not current with the new changes. You're ahead of that game then but still likely a software update for shifting etc on electron controlled trannys. Have then check all the firmware while you wait. You want a work order indicating its done ideally. If the sales man says it was. Don't believe him it doesn't take them long once the computer it hooked up to do it.

A lot of vehicles are going CVT now. Compass went backwards likely due to all the problems with them and expense!!!
You're lucky on that point!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 17 Old 10-30-2016, 11:44 AM

Garage
Just a head's up...there will be a software update coming out sometime in or around December, according to what I've been told by FCA. They told me they aren't sure yet if the update will come out as a TSB or as a recall, but it's coming. They told me that it possibly could repair the Bluetooth connectivity issues I'm having on my 2016, as well as update a number of other systems on the vehicle.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

post #11 of 17 Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 PM

Garage
Not sure why tripplec is on here if he's such a negative nancy about the Compass..... I have a 2015 that I made into the True North and LOVE it. I live in Colorado and hit up the off road trails every weekend and my Compass never disappoints. I go out with my buddy who has a 2011 Toyota 4 Runner Trail Edition (which is an awesome trail vehicle) and have never run into anything that I couldn't keep up with. The true fun in having a vehicle is modifying it to do what you want it to do. If your wife's Compass is a piece of junk, maybe you should have recognized it's downfalls before buying, or after buying and something went wrong. My Compass is a beast and will continue being one. COMPASS ON FRIENDS!

Here's my Compass at 12,000 feet on a moderate rated trail in Colorado. I made it to the top without ever putting it in 4 wheel drive.
asakaze, Neil and hotvak123 like this.

Last edited by Nick Kaminski; 11-10-2016 at 05:21 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-10-2016, 04:47 PM

2007-2010 are a totally different build than newer years. 2007-2008 were wearing out huge numbers of parts by 50k-70k with front ends falling apart. I have very little left new as its been replaced. Engine, rear diff and some rear arms still original. Oh and body but pretty much everything else had to be replaced including the TIPM 5 times and 2 dash's, gas tank, all re and re'd

Buy one of the early generations and you're in trouble.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 17 Old 11-10-2016, 05:19 PM

Garage
Why are you on here sir? Neil started the thread talking about how excited he is about his new purchase and you're telling him about your lemon.... Start your own complaint thread.

Neil, congrats on your buy! The Compass is underrated for sure. Check out the website trailsoffroad.com. They have awesome off road maps that you can download to gps devices, including your phone. You have to get an offline map app. I use Avenza Maps on my iphone and then copy the gps coordinates from the website and it works great. I take my compass to the mountains every weekend and this system works great for me!
Neil and hotvak123 like this.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM

2015 compass

Nick, I also have the 2015 with 6 speed auto. fd1. I researched for months and found the negativity about the compass was referring to the prior to 2011 models or the CVT. You did well with your choice.
The overland part of the post made me a little nervous. I have read that some will put on the tow set up for boats and use for towing the car if needed. Everyone says that good all terrain tires are important if you do off road a lot.

I would like to lift, put skids and under protection on but my compass is too pretty to scratch and dent up

Let us know how thing go.

Greg,
post #15 of 17 Old 11-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdd View Post
Nick, I also have the 2015 with 6 speed auto. fd1. I researched for months and found the negativity about the compass was referring to the prior to 2011 models or the CVT. You did well with your choice.
The overland part of the post made me a little nervous. I have read that some will put on the tow set up for boats and use for towing the car if needed. Everyone says that good all terrain tires are important if you do off road a lot.

I would like to lift, put skids and under protection on but my compass is too pretty to scratch and dent up

Let us know how thing go.

Greg,
You are correct the early years and all with CVT are a big $$$ headache and I guess Jeep finally changed that. Although some other vehicles have switch to CVT including Suburu. LOL Ruining a good vehicle there. A good normal tranny with a good tranny cooler will outlast the vehicle as I have found out over the years. Keep a sharp ear out for suspension and other problems while you have warranty and get it reported at any dealer. Maybe the suspension is improved and/or changed in design after 5-6 years later than mine. My era was quite bad.

Yes as tires are the key point of contact a good aggressive thread pattern will help more than activating AWD to compensate for slipping due to highway touring tires which have no off road or snow bite. I am not talking about have Dueller or the like but there is a balance to be found for riding different terrains successfully. The ones I am running strike a great balance in all condition and very quite. FYI in my signature.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 17 Old 11-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Garage
The lift and slightly bigger tires are well worth the money.

The first time I went over this curb I scraped bottom. Now I go over it and barely feel a bump. Rock sliders and push bars are in the near future.

zoner99 and Neil like this.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-20-2016, 07:38 PM

Garage
Hello everyone! I just got my brand new 2016 Compass just a few months ago and I'm loving it so far, it's a fantastic vehicle. I got mine with a 5 speed manual and although it is very quick shifting and revs high at 65 mph, I still get better mileage than my old Honda. I can't wait for winter to try out the 4x4 system to see how well it does in snow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in