new member - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By gutman21
  • 1 Post By zoner99
  • 1 Post By zoner99

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 11-02-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm from Hamilton, Ontario Canada. Picture of my Compass attached. It is a 2014 with the six speed auto and four wheel drive. I bought it used recently from a FCA dealer. In the pic it has old steel jeep rims with new General Altimax Arctics 225/70/16s. It came with 17" alloys and the original Kumho all seasons in 225/60/17, however they are fairly worn and would be rather sketchy for winter use here. It's a "North" model which I believe is approximately like a Latitude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3829.jpg (81.9 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-12-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

Just reading some of the posts by our friend 'tripplec' who continually bitches about his wife's 2007 Compass. First point, if all you ever do is bitch, people will think you ARE a bitch. Just say'in. Second point, "Jeep" corporately as a part of the huge mess now known as FCA, has been subjected to the same corporate issues through the years. If you recall it was taken over by Daimler, then by a financial entity Cerebus, before being "rescued" by Fiat and its idiotic CEO Sergio. In the 2007 time period the company was teetering on the verge of bankruptcy and - after cutting corners for years - was having trouble paying their suppliers. There was also a complete lack of direction or vision IMO; the Compass / Patriot originally being marketed as some weird sort of urban hipster vehicle. It's never a good move to buy the first years of a new model, particularly so from the former Chrysler, even more so when the corporation is so shaky. If you REALLY wanted to get yourself a lemon then yes, a 2007 Compass would be a very good bet. The 2007 - 2009 models were essentially customer financed test models.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-12-2016, 10:10 PM

Garage
Welcome! Get used to tripplec hijacking your posts to complain about his wife's car. Seems to be standard procedure. I'm here to embrace the awesomeness of the Compass, not to complain about it.

On a happier note, I really like the color of your Compass! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-13-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

The color is "Winter Chill Pearl" in marketing speak; I used to call it "Baby Blue". I don't particularly like it but I think the less popular color helped keep the price down. I bought it for only a few hundred above wholesale.
Driving the vehicle I have found that other drivers are a lot more polite. I'll signal a lane change, say, and people will let me in. That was a little odd at first then I realized they thought the 'nice' color meant I was a 'nice' person. So now I call it "Social Camouflage Blue".

I like the Compass and it is a really good fit for my needs (and wants). I test drove Jeep Cherokees, Patriots, and some other SUVs that don't have the word "Jeep" on them. I also rented a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee for a few days each. Initially I had assumed I would get a Wrangler but it was a little awkward on the road and the interior seems small for the size of the vehicle. It seemed like a bit of a clown car to me, it has a jeep name or symbol on practically every surface - is that for people with Alzheimers or what, so they can remember what they are driving?
The JGC was great but, seemed like a lot of money to spend for what I actually need. I really don't use the back seats at all and almost always have them folded down and covered - for tools, parts, or tailwaggers.
Really the only specific complaint I have against the Compass is that I'd like stiffer rear springs for load capacity.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2016, 10:54 PM

Garage
Yeah, the Compass really isn't made for towing. Jeep doesn't even make a lower rear bumper with a cutout for a receiver hitch that I've seen. You have to cut the existing one. That's actually not that uncommon for smaller vehicles as the manufacturer didn't really intend them to haul stuff. They didn't intend me to take my compass off roading in the Rocky Mountains either...... -
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: 230 Route 206, Suite 307, Flanders, New Jersey 07836

LemonLawCases is one of the best place to learn lemon law, car, automobile and others. This blog is very useful for all. Howard A. Gutman is a writter of this blog. He is a lawyer and this area of practice is called lemon law. He has successfully handled over 500 lemon law and automobile breach of warranty cases.
zoner99 and lmh1 like this.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

In my mind at least, a "jeep" isn't a normal vehicle. I'm assuming I'm going to break things and spend time working on it. For a typical vehicle owner though, who will be paying a mechanic say $90 an hour plus inflated parts prices, a 2007-09 Compass/Patriot would be a bad choice financially.
Standard practice for Chrysler - FCA it seems has always been to build a vehicle for a few years just to see how it goes, then either drop the model or start fixing the flaws. They hit average reliability somewhere around the 5th model year. Personally I considered buying as old as 2012 (but manuals only, no CVTs!). I came across a really, really well maintained and optioned 2012 Compass with the 5 speed and was very tempted by it. However, it and every similar model year I drove seemed really slow. I'm not expecting these to be quick, but these seemed like they would have no reserve power for merging on to freeways etc.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Possible Compass owner

Deciding between 2011, 2013, or 2014 compass. Which compass would be less of an expense and a bother? I love jeeps but have heard what a cost the compass can become.. Just looking for a jeep that is decently priced and reliable. Any advice on the three years listed? Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh1 View Post
Deciding between 2011, 2013, or 2014 compass. Which compass would be less of an expense and a bother? I love jeeps but have heard what a cost the compass can become.. Just looking for a jeep that is decently priced and reliable. Any advice on the three years listed? Thanks in advance!
For whatever my opinion is worth, I would pass on 2011. Personally I wouldn't buy any Compass with the CVT. The 6 speed auto became available in 2013. The manual transmissions have had some problems as well (fixable, but still). Not much difference between a 2013 and a 2014.
lmh1 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 05:51 AM

Garage
I agree. Cvts are good in some cars, I just don't trust them in an SUV type setup. I have the 6 speed and like it a lot.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 PM

I have heard some horror stories about the CVTS so I think I will be steering clear of them. I was unaware that the automatic trans was an option in the 13's...
post #12 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

And the CVTs still come with the 'freedom drive II' package to this day. I often wonder if Chrysler signed on to some contract that they had to take a large number of the CVTs or pay a penalty, so they keep putting them in vehicles to get rid of them? Regardless, the six speed auto is a big improvement and is worth paying extra for.
So, when you look at a 2013 with an 'auto' trans, it could be either a CVT or a six speed auto. Originally the six speed was an expensive option so fleet buyers / rental companies would take the CVTs; dealers would order them also simply because they were cheaper. The vehicle and shifter looks the same so it is not immediately obvious which trans is in it. You can type the VIN into vindecoderz which gives you a lot of good info beside just the transmission type. You can also go on a test drive - while at highway speed push the shifter to the left to manually select gears, a CVT will only have four 'gears' while a six speed will have six
lmh1 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 PM

Zoner99 i appreciate it a ton! I found a 13 I like, test drove it and was able to shift it in to 6 gears!! Thank god. lol Im thinking Chrysler or fiat must have signed some agreement, CVTS are just not meant for SUVs.. and people have hopefully started to figure that out. Can you tell by just looking at the transmission if it is a CVT or not?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in