To buy or not to buy..... - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

To buy or not to buy.....

Greetings to all and best wishes for 2017!

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Jeep brand has my respect generally yet I admit to never having owned any in its stable. I'm considering buying a 2013 Jeep Compass - the upgrade with the smaller engine.

The comment some critics make are off-putting yet I've also heard good things said.

I'm 65yrs old and will retire from working life in 5yrs time. Current situation is that I am prepared to try this entry level model since I can't afford top range models. Long trips of 2000kms (total) will be done to visit my son at university possibly 3 times a year for the next four years. Add to this an annual holiday in the African bush and daily travel of 30kms to cover work and back distance.

I service my own vehicles and do limited repairs like brakes. What are the running costs of this vehicle and has anyone encountered trouble eg sensors packing up of other costly repairs popping up unexpectedly from 2013 models?

Should I buy this model or not? Your advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM

Maybe you should check some Auto Sites Such as Edmonds.com on vehicle ratings, problems etc There are other sites as well of course JDPower I believe.

I can't say that was one of their better years and it likely have the CVT transmission which can be a money pit. The Compass used a TIPM which is not your typical Power Distribution box. Few relay and fuses as its mostly electronic. Few can trouble shoot the electronic when it goes wrong on these and the Chilton manual I have looked at online are almost useless as well. Mechanically its hard to get at pretty much everything escept for brakes. Alternators fail on these almost guaranteed. Mine did a few months back. If you looking for this model go for one still within warranty or new and have it fully covered. The 6 speed automatic will be a much safer bet with the 2.4L engine.

As for the used one the more miles it has the more likely you're goiing to have a key item fail as longevity is not proven on these vehicles. At least no the earlier years and some of the newer generation. Getting better but ... you takes your chances with it new. Especially without though testing/driving it and maintenance history.
Stevovo likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Tripplec,

Thank you for this response. The Jeep brand, like other premium brands, attracts a fairly unique following: affluence and faithfulness, in the main. My scenario is different. I am nearing retirement age and presently an average-income earner. I cannot afford a new Jeep and, from my various enquiries, fear the potential cost of entering this arena. This cost in exchange for the thrill of owning a respected brand, like Jeep, is not a proposition for me.

My present vehicle is a 2005 Mazda Drifter Double Cab 4x2 2.5 litre Tdi (with difflock). I have had good service from this vehicle and it tows my camper trailer with ease, just about anywhere I wish to go. The small engined Compass will probably not offer the same towing capability or maintenance regime. I think I'll stay with what I know...for now.

That said, I wish you and the Jeep fraternity well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in