Compass vs Patriot Prices? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Compass vs Patriot Prices?

Why is a new Patriot about $1,000 less then a new Compass? Shouldnt they be around the same price? I though the only difference between them was the tire size and the external body.

Is it because women are willing to pay more for an item then men and who the demographics the Compass is aimed at?

What are your thoughts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Garage
Re: Compass vs Patriot Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNamesLeft
Why is a new Patriot about $1,000 less then a new Compass? Shouldnt they be around the same price? I though the only difference between them was the tire size and the external body.

Is it because women are willing to pay more for an item then men and who the demographics the Compass is aimed at?

What are your thoughts..
Albeit Compass sales slightly favour the ladies, but from what I see on the Patroit Forums sites is that there are plenty of lady 'Riot drivers as well.
A thousand bucks is a huge diff for essentially the same mechanics. 'Riots already are out selling our 'Passes, I worry that if economics forces narrowing the Jeep line again, is that the bigger seller will prevail

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
Quote:

What are your thoughts..
Albeit Compass sales slightly favour the ladies, but from what I see on the Patroit Forums sites is that there are plenty of lady 'Riot drivers as well.
A thousand bucks is a huge diff for essentially the same mechanics. 'Riots already are out selling our 'Passes, I worry that if economics forces narrowing the Jeep line again, is that the bigger seller will prevail
Compass has sold more Overall and more This year:

http://www.rrstar.com/business/x1429061040

"So far this year, workers have built 119,986 Calibers and dealers have sold 94,488 or 78.8 percent.
The Compass, easily the least liked by analysts, is even holding its own with dealers selling 38,764 of the 51,562 that have been built this year — 75.2 percent.
Dealers have only moved 24,496 of the 66,899 Patriots built in 2007. That’s just 36.6 percent."

That's interesting since the media generally trashed the Compass and generally gave good reviews to the Patriot. The Caliber was somewhere in between in media treatment.

However the Compass came out first and the Patriot has been selling more in the last few months.

:!:

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Neely, I believe you are referencing my original post on the stats Anyways I know that the compass has sold more units but why the $1000 price tag difference? it makes no sense to me.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005

"The Compass, easily the least liked by analysts, is even holding its own with dealers selling 38,764 of the 51,562 that have been built this year — 75.2 percent.
Dealers have only moved 24,496 of the 66,899 Patriots built in 2007. That’s just 36.6 percent."

That's interesting since the media generally trashed the Compass and generally gave good reviews to the Patriot. The Caliber was somewhere in between in media treatment.

Wow - with only 36.6% sell through and all the hype that this was more of a "real" Jeep than our 'Passes somebody's but must be on the line to make it happen for the 'Riots.

Loved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #6 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 AM

Down here the Pat base price has always been between a thousand and 15 hundred less than the Compass since the Pats intro. I suspect it is mostly just marketing.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 AM
ACX

they stated originally the level of options and features is less on a base patriot than a base compass..

as discussed here months ago, I think it is a BAD move on chrysler's part - idiotic move to be honest.

1 thing is wheels, the patriot has cheap base wheels, they look like crap, and the uplevel ones are 17 inchers.

the compass has 17s on the base, and 18s on the limited. this doesn't account for all of it but indeed some of it.

edit - on a quick pricing of a similarly loaded compass and patriot in canada the price difference is 500, which I could say is largely covered by the wheels.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

I was doing a bit of research and it appears that the Patriot's rear breaks are drum while the compass' are disc. This, the wheels and additional cup holds see to be the only differences. Do you guys think the rear disc breaks and the alloy wheels are worth $1,000?
post #9 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM

patriot brakes

The patriot has four wheel disc brakes as far as I know.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 PM
ACX

from jeep's website..

2008 patriot limited 4x4 base price = 22,505
2008 compass limited 4x4 base price = 22,815

so look deeper into the differences in optioning on the cheaper ones. Power windows versus crank up maybe? Who knows.

By the trime you get to equally equipped limiteds you're in a virtual dead heat.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

i was looking at 4x2 models. Maybe they were just slashing prices on the lower end.
post #12 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Re: patriot brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkeep
On the 4x2 models, the rear brakes are drum on the patriots.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 PM
kwc

Re: patriot brakes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkeep
On the 4x2 models, the rear brakes are drum on the patriots.
I just checked Jeep.com and the base 4X2 Patriot has 4 wheel disc brakes. This applies to both 2007 and 2008 models.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

This thread should shed some light on the patriot rear drum break issue. It looks like its on the 4x2 sport....

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12085
post #15 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM
kwc

I stopped at the local Jeep dealer this afternoon ... they have a 4X2 Patriot on the lot, Sport model with very few options. I looked at the rear brakes - they were DISC brakes.

I double checked the Jeep website, and it lists 4 wheel disc brakes as standard equipment on ALL Patriot models.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 PM

I think that the 2007 Patriots had Standard Disc Brakes on ALL models. But I think that on the 2008 Patriots the Sport Models have Rear Drum Brakes - that's what the people on the Patriot Forum are saying.

post #17 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 AM
kwc

I double-checked the Jeep website ... and I'm not sure how I missed it the first time but here's what the website has to say.

BOTH the base 4x2 Patriot and Compass have front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

When one upgrades to a 4x4 model (doens't matter if it's a Sport or a Limited), standard equipment become four wheel disc brakes.

That's an interesting change, isn't it?
post #18 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
I double-checked the Jeep website ... and I'm not sure how I missed it the first time but here's what the website has to say.

BOTH the base 4x2 Patriot and Compass have front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

When one upgrades to a 4x4 model (doens't matter if it's a Sport or a Limited), standard equipment become four wheel disc brakes.

Can you say cost cutting? Although my mechanic says that Drum Brakes are better in places that get snow as they're well sealed and last longer.

post #19 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Nevermind, i am dumb.
post #20 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

I think this changed just happened. Mine is an 08 sport 4x2 but i have rear disc brakes. This change leaves me kind of baffled. So its for both compass and patriot? Strange....
post #21 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc

Can you say cost cutting? Although my mechanic says that Drum Brakes are better in places that get snow as they're well sealed and last longer.
I grew up in the country and disk brakes are far better than drum. Drum brakes have a greater tendancy to freeze up in the winter. The ice and snow can build up in the drum, when you hit the brakes the drums heat up and melt the snow. You stop the drum cools and the water freezes. If you have your parking breaks set then the pads freeze to the drum, else you can get a block of ice in the drum itself and the brakes don't work.

My 95 Neon had drum brakes and I had them freeze up on me in the middle of winter. I had to put the car warmer under the car pointing at each of the tires to get the brakes to release. When driving semi it is a regular occurance to climb under the trailer and beat the crap out of the brakes to get them to release in the winter.
post #22 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc

I grew up in the country and disk brakes are far better than drum. Drum brakes have a greater tendancy to freeze up in the winter. The ice and snow can build up in the drum, when you hit the brakes the drums heat up and melt the snow. You stop the drum cools and the water freezes. If you have your parking breaks set then the pads freeze to the drum, else you can get a block of ice in the drum itself and the brakes don't work.

My 95 Neon had drum brakes and I had them freeze up on me in the middle of winter. I had to put the car warmer under the car pointing at each of the tires to get the brakes to release. When driving semi it is a regular occurance to climb under the trailer and beat the crap out of the brakes to get them to release in the winter.
Interesting. My mechanic / friend said Drums are better in winter because they're sealed so nothing can get inside them. No salt, no ice, no water, no snow. Maybe the newer drums are better sealed? Beats me.

Another change on the 2008's: for the CVT Models the Gear Shift Knob No longer says "Jeep" on it like it did on the 2007's. It's just blank.

:evil:

post #23 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc

Interesting. My mechanic / friend said Drums are better in winter because they're sealed so nothing can get inside them. No salt, no ice, no water, no snow. Maybe the newer drums are better sealed? Beats me.

Another change on the 2008's: for the CVT Models the Gear Shift Knob No longer says "Jeep" on it like it did on the 2007's. It's just blank.

:evil:
I got this email from my Jeep dealer today:

"the 07 knob is 15$, whereas the 08 knob is 90$ ?? I will order the 07 knob to find out if it works but I'm afraid they may be quite different parts."

This is for a Jeep Compass but I would think that the knob should fit on the Patriot too?

It's also in Candian $.

post #24 of 28 Old 10-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACX
they stated originally the level of options and features is less on a base patriot than a base compass..

as discussed here months ago, I think it is a BAD move on chrysler's part - idiotic move to be honest.

1 thing is wheels, the patriot has cheap base wheels, they look like crap, and the uplevel ones are 17 inchers.

the compass has 17s on the base, and 18s on the limited. this doesn't account for all of it but indeed some of it.

edit - on a quick pricing of a similarly loaded compass and patriot in canada the price difference is 500, which I could say is largely covered by the wheels.
That's probably it. The Compass has 17 or 18 Inch Wheels & Tires. The Patriot has 16 or 17 Inch Wheels & Tires. The Compass also has nicer Rims.

post #25 of 28 Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM

I was talking to my dealer on the weekend regarding the pricing differences in the Patriot and Compass. What he told me was the Compass comes with alot more standard features than the Patriot, and thus the higher BASE price. If you take all the base features from the Compass and add them to the Patriot, the price for the Patriot goes up quite quickly. As well he stated that once you get into the high end options for the Patriot, you may as well start looking into the Liberty were, like the Compass, alot of the options are standard.
post #26 of 28 Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 PM

I don't know why they are cheaper but where i live in canada there are 10 compasses on the dealers lot to every 1 patriot.I tried both out and liked the patriot more but got a better deal on the compass.There must be somthing to the looks though because my wife liked the looks of the compass,while i liked the patriot more.Just my two cents.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-14-2007, 10:27 PM

The Compass comes standard with fog lights, the Patriot does not. That's a $115 option.

Base prices in Canada:
2008 Compass
Compass Sport 4dr Front-wheel Drive - $17,995 MSRP
Compass Sport 4dr 4x4 - $19,995 MSRP
Compass North Edition 4dr Front-wheel Drive - $20,495 MSRP
Compass North Edition 4dr 4x4 - $22,495 MSRP
Compass Limited 4dr Front-wheel Drive - $22,995 MSRP
Compass Limited 4dr 4x4 - $24,995 MSRP

2008 Patriot
Patriot Sport 4dr Front-wheel Drive - $16,995 MSRP ($1,000 less)
Patriot Sport 4dr 4x4 - $18,995 MSRP ($1,000 less)
Patriot North Edition 4dr Front-wheel Drive - $19,595 MSRP ($900 less)
Patriot North Edition 4dr 4x4 - $21,595 MSRP ($900 less)
Patriot Limited 4dr Front-wheel Drive - $22,695 MSRP ($300 less)
Patriot Limited 4dr 4x4 - $24,695 MSRP ($300 less)

Really, how many people buy a base model with VINYL seats and NO AIR CONDITIONING? C'mon, really here Jeep. I'd like to see sales figures because I would bet that 80%+ of Compasses and Patriots are North or Limited 4x4 (in Canada anyway). The price difference is then either $300 or $900. The Patriot's "Tire & Wheel Group" option is $600, that gives you basically the same rims that are standard on the Compass. Let's not forget to mention the CVT in the Patriot with the Crawl Ratio option is an extra $400 more than the regular CVT. So in the end they're pretty much going to cost the same as long as you get aluminum rims, Air Conditioning, etc.

Personally I think they should have called the Patriot a Cherokee because that's such a well-known nameplate. I guess they didn't want to confuse buyers because they already have the Grand Cherokee. Outside North America the Cherokee name is still used.
post #28 of 28 Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Garage
If it looks like a duck?

Well, if it looks like a duck and waddles it must be a duck . . . so . . . If it looks and drives like a CHEROKEE . . . call it what?

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in