Jeep Enthusiast - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Enthusiast

Hello people. I'm a huge Jeep enthusiast and after some considerations about my next Jeep car for my wife I managed to find myself here
To be honest, I don't have a lot knowledge about Compass line, that's probably the main reason why I'm here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Hey welcome! I don't think you can go wrong with the new compass. Its incredible value really, I feel like its my "poor man's land rover"

Its impressively well composed on the highway, excellent handling compared to my previous SUV, but I know when the bad winter weather hits here in northern Minnesota in just a couple months here the 4x4 system will have my back. What a comfy and well equipped daily driver though, I am loving satellite radio on the huge 8.4 inch touchscreen. Factory remote start, heated seats, heated STEERING WHEEL, these things just amaze me because of how big a leap it was from my previous vehicle and its basic features.

Its been awesome to have just one vehicle that does everything I need. For simply cruising to work and back I can top out around 30 MPG which is quite respectable for a vehicle this size. Now there are some other AWD small SUVs out there from other brands and while they may crank out a HANDFUL more miles per gallon, I think the increase in quality and capability that the Jeep Compass gives over the competition is more than worth the few extra pennies at the pump in gas.

The Honda HRV may be a decent AWD commuter but we own a 2016 Honda Civic (her daily driver) and there is no doubt the infotainment system is simply better done in the Jeep. It works better, the controls are more intuitive, etc. But for us the big thing that put the Compass over the HRV was the superior 4x4 system and the towing capacity. The HRV has no advertised towing capability and they don't want you to pull even one little 4 wheeler behind it. Meanwhile the Compass can pull a very nice little payload with ease. We made a lake trip one weekend using the Compass, pulled our old fiberglass boat and 5 people in the cabin with no issue at all and got surprisingly good mileage too. I'm thinking pop up camper or small travel trailer is in our near future and we are going to explore the united states with this little trooper. I'm also looking at making a run a few states over to tow back a parts car I need for my project car and I don't think there is any cheaper way you could do it than with this thing. I got better mileage towing my boat than my buddy gets in his pickup unloaded.

For day to day driving it doesn't get much easier than the compass. For me its actually a little sad because I kind got a kick out of manual locking hubs and manual shifting transfer case and such on my old buggy, those interactions were fun for me but I have to admit its nice that you just put the Compass in drive and go. 4x4 will kick in automatically if needed. It will stay in a lower gear while towing if needed. It needs no input from you, no need to switch into 4x4 or press a button for towing. Heck, it automatically turns on my heated seat when its cold out (I love that!).

Yes I just can't say enough good things about it since we got it. Dollar for dollar we got much more than I had hoped for and its my do-everything vehicle. I went home for lunch, put our recycling bins in the back and dropped them off on my way back into the office. Piece of cake. We needed some pine boards the other day for a home improvement project so I folded down the seats and put a bunch of 6 foot boards in the back, no issue. My Dad's lawnmower crapped out right before a family get together so I popped a little utility trailer on back and ran over to his house with my lawn mower. No problem. I just go and go and go with this thing, getting stuff done.

Then on the flip side, we had her grandparents staying from out of state with us for a week and the four of us went and did all kinds of driving around for shopping and dining. They loved the legroom in the back seats, rear AC vents, fancy leather interior, quiet smooth ride. They were looking at getting another subaru but I think after seeing our Compass up close they may be making a visit to their local Jeep dealer instead.

My advice on specifics is to go for the Limited trim package. Its just really nicely equipped, that big beautiful touch screen is worth it. So are the big beautiful 18 inch rims, and the leather seats, etc. There are some Latitude trims with enough options piled on to come close and that might be fine as well all I'm saying is if you are going to get one, get a good one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in