Hello, Fiance is looking at the Compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Hello, Fiance is looking at the Compass

Guess im the newb. My Fiance is in love with the Compass. She is set to get a used one around end of year. I love the idea of adding another Jeep to the family! I found the forum while googling the Compass. Im just trying to do some research for her and then we will go test drive in the next few months. She wants a 2.4L 4x2 auto trans with the usual power locks/windows/cruise. So far ive learned about the Compass:
1. mpg gets better as you put on more miles
2. 2.4L with 4x4 is getting around 25 mpg mixed driving
3. there has been rare occurense of ESP issues (not new to me, i own an 07 wrangler with the same issues)
4. You definitly want the 2.4, the 2.0 would be way to slow
5. there is an intake and exhaust out already for the Compass :twisted:

Anyways, look for my threads, ill be looking for advice and opinions. Im not new to Jeeps, my family has owned several in the past and I have owned a 98 Cherokee that was pretty modified and now I own an 07 Wrangler. Lets hope she gets great mpg in Compass to offset my 13 mpg wrangler. The 35" tires dont help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
ACX

welcome and best of luck with the vehicle search.

Yes your mileage will improve as time goes on.

Point blank the CVT cars are easy to drive where you get poor mileage - the rpms can really float. My 2 cents is a steady foot and cruise wherever possible pays big dividends.

I am looking to get the intake and exhaust for my g/fs compass at some point as well. :lol:
post #3 of 19 Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome. I like the Compass and cant wait to drive one. She is really light on skinny anyways. Right now she has a 97' Saturn SC2 that is somehow still running so she has to take it really easy on it. She said I could do an intake but no exhaust... O well, take what i can get right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM

IMO if you can get her into the standard 5 speed, she would be much happier with it. I test drove about 4 different Compasses that were all automatic but with the same engine. The 5 speed makes a HUGE difference. It feels like it has more power and pick-up.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Garage
Rommel543 has it right :!:
The 5-speed IS the way to go.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

She really wants an Automatic because of Atlanta traffic. We are one of the highest rated worst traffic areas in United States. Its so bad that i even got an automatic wrangler. Its my 4th car but first auto. She drives a manual right now but is so tired of it. I will make sure we both test drive each though to make sure its the right choice
post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM

I used to drive long-haul. I've driven in Atlanta and it does suck. I went through there after a snow storm (6 years ago) and there were cars everywhere in the ditch along the interstate.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
I used to drive long-haul. I've driven in Atlanta and it does suck. I went through there after a snow storm (6 years ago) and there were cars everywhere in the ditch along the interstate.
tell me about it. Last snow/ice we had here people were wrecked everywhere. Good thing i had the XJ all modded with a 12k winch on the front.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-08-2007, 01:14 PM
kwc

Quote:
snowstorm in Atlanta? was it like 2 inches of snow? hehehehehehe ...
my sister lives there and marvels at how everyone freaks out when they see snowflakes (we grew up near Buffalo)!!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
Quote:
snowstorm in Atlanta? was it like 2 inches of snow? hehehehehehe ...
my sister lives there and marvels at how everyone freaks out when they see snowflakes (we grew up near Buffalo)!!
The worst snow I've ever got would have to be a toss up between Estevan Saskatchewan and up in Snoqualmie pass though Washington State. In both cases I was pushing snow with the front of my truck (thats about 2 - 2 1/2 feet of snow). Thank god in both cases I was fully loaded at 80,000 lbs.

The thing about the lower states getting snow is; yes they don't know HOW to drive in the snow, but also because the road is still warm when it starts snowing it melts. Then as the snow storm progresses and the road cools, that water turns to ice, so you have fresh powder on top of glaze ice. Weeeeee...... And of couse because they don't know how to drive in it, people don't slow down and they hit the ditch or each other.

My biggest laugh was driving through Illinois during a snow storm. The road was getting slippery so I slowed down to about 70 (45mph).Some a-hole in a big black peterbuilt flew by me doing about 110 (70mph) making some comment on the C.B. about how Canadians are suppose to know hoe to drive in the snow. About 15 minutes later I passed him because he had jackknifed and slid into the ditch (he was upright and bitching on his CB btw). I couldn't help it, I got on the CB and commented back that apparently Canadians do know how to drive in the snow.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rommel543
The thing about the lower states getting snow is; yes they don't know HOW to drive in the snow,

That and the fact that there is very little use of winter tires . . .

Loved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

as others have said. Yeah we have NO CLUE how to drive in snow and everyone thinks they can do it. Also, it usually snows/sleet rain during the day but it doesnt stick well because we normally get above freezing in the day time but then the temp dips and all that water becomes ice. We have lots of old, tall pine trees and when they get heavy with ice they fall taking cars, houses, and power lines out.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM

SNOW!!!...Its a comin...

post #14 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Well i test drove a Compass this morning while waiting for the recalls to be on my Jeep. I got to say it was nice. Pretty good pick up, handles great, quite ride, comfortble interior. I had plenty of room in the drive seat but only a little kid could of sat behind me (im 6'5"). The rear cargo room surprised me. There is A LOT without the folded down seats. I was very impressed. I will let her know my review when she gets her lazy butt out of bed.

O yeah, it was a Silver, 08', auto 2.4L, 4x2, and some options on it. Think sticker was $20k
post #15 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm
Well i test drove a Compass this morning while waiting for the recalls to be on my Jeep. I got to say it was nice. Pretty good pick up, handles great, quite ride, comfortble interior. I had plenty of room in the drive seat but only a little kid could of sat behind me (im 6'5"). The rear cargo room surprised me. There is A LOT without the folded down seats. I was very impressed. I will let her know my review when she gets her lazy butt out of bed.

O yeah, it was a Silver, 08', auto 2.4L, 4x2, and some options on it. Think sticker was $20k

Great to get the thumbs up of approval from another owner of a "real" Jeep.
Hope to soon welcome you to our fold.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #16 of 19 Old 12-08-2007, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

alright! tomorrow we set out on our quest. THere are two Compass's that have her eye

One is an 07 Limited, Auto transmission, white, 2.4L, 4x2, full power options, leather with heated seats around 16k miles

The other (my favorite). 07 Sport, black, 4x4, Auto transmission, full power options with 13k miles

I shall post tomorrow night, i hope to add another Jeep to the garage
post #17 of 19 Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Garage
Black is Beautiful!

So the dealmaker will be either 4x4 in the Sport package verses the heated leather seats in the Limited.
Bad weather performance/handling v/s comfort and esthetics.
Tuff choice for sure.

So lets consider for a minute where you live:
The Atlanta region.

OK so you are far enough south that the front wheel drive will suffice in most conditions. In the worst winter snow and ice comes and goes, where as, up here, winter starts in November and stays ‘till May . . .but that’s anther story.
Ditto for the heated leather seats, so nice when cold, but in Georgia, for most of the year, a useless feature. Vented cooled seats would be more appropriate.
The leather seats will resist staining and out-wear cloth seats, which is important, if you like me, like to drive vehicles into their old age. Also important for resale, as a cleaner looking car makes for easier sale.

So finally, lets consider color, Black verses White, and again where you live.
Black cars are warmer in the winter but hotter in the summer, requiring more air conditioning to keep cool. The sun heats them up, so in the winter they are not as cold in the daytime but in the summer, waaayyyy hotter' The white car will be cooler in the summer sun. Air conditioning sometimes has to work overtime in the black car just to keep it bearable on the hottest days, which you get so much more of then we do.
The same factor leads to white cars rusting sooner then black cars. The sun naturally bakes out moisture quicker in the black car, less moisture, less rust. Rust shows more on white cars, so any paint chip or nick will become a more unsightly blemish on a white car, and more difficult to touch up with a paint stick.
All cars look better freshly washed, but there is nothing like the shine of a clean and polished black car stands out more in my eyes then an equally clean and polished white car. Both colors show dirt, but road salts being more apparent on the black car, may make you more inclined to keep it washed, which is a good thing, I think. Those who like to drive a dirty car that does not show the dirt buy grey* cars (I always wonder if they do that with their clothes as well ).

*GREY - aka in dealer’s terms: SILVER.

Hope to have been some help, best luck with what ever you choose, the Compass is a fine ride :!:

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #18 of 19 Old 12-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Just remember, if "SHE" will be the primary driver, let her choose! We bought our '08 khaki Sport for "HER", and the deciding factors for her were the sunroof and light colored interior. I, on the other hand, was looking at all the "HE" stuff that i2canoe mentions, the nature of our beast! But "SHE" is the one who will either "like" or "love" her new Compass. By the way, my wife just loves her Compass! Good luck, and happy shopping!
post #19 of 19 Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Re: Hello, Fiance is looking at the Compass

Welcome, Bigjerm. AWESOME looking Wrangler, by the way!!! After my Cherokee and Compass, that will be my mid-life crisis vehicle, because obviously, my partner has to buy new first, so I have a few years to wait, but beautiful truck, and it seems you are having fun out there.

Definitely agree on the traffic. Lived in Thomasville for a few years, and Atlanta was the place to party, so I usually left the car at the hotel and took cabs. Still have an Uncle that lives in Buckhead whom I go to see every now and again. Really hope you guys enjoy your Compass.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in