Hey everyone - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone

Hey guys,

New to the forum and currently exploring my options for a compact SUV. I've owned various Jeeps throughout my lifetime but never a Compass. So I've come to see what exactly you guys are experiencing with the truck and whether or not it lives up to the Jeep name. I'm definitely interested in the Trailhawk trim and I'm looking forward to reading your experiences with the truck so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Welcome!

I don't think "truck" is the word I would use... more like a glorified over-sized all-wheel-drive car in most respects... but its still a great machine!

Whether it lives up to the Jeep name... thats a tough one. In Trailhawk trim maybe... kinda... Otherwise it might as well be badged as a nice Chrysler. Its a nice road buggy and if it were sold under the Chrysler name it would be considered fantastic for what it is. As a Jeep its a bit like a weird first cousin that you are required to invite to family gatherings but doesn't exactly fit in with the others.

When someone asks what you drive and you say "A Dodge!" They instantly go "Ram Truck?! Nice!" and then you have to tell them ".. no... Dodge Dart..." --- "Oh..."

Same thing with the Compass.
"I drive a Jeep!" --- "Oh nice! Is it the two door wrangler or the four?" --- "Uymmm.... Neither..." --- "Ohhh a Grand Cherokee? those are sweet!" --- "Yeah.. not that either..."

Don't get me wrong, its an amazing vehicle overall and with the Trailhawk package its close enough to be considered a basic intermittent off-roader but it doesn't hold a candle to the wranglers and it doesn't have the power and clout of the grand cherokee. A real Jeep I would say it is not, and I say that because mainly you have to look at the lowlyst base model to understand what any particular vehicle is or is not. Any cool extra stuff tacked on in the form of trim upgrades is smoke and mirrors, they all are the base model at heart.

Its an excellent CUV that came about when Chrysler and Fiat decided to build something together and said "Hey, we want to be better than Subaru and smoke Toyota and Honda, lets call our buddy Jeep over here and take some pointers from him." and when it was done Jeep said "Hey that little guy turned out pretty good" and FC said "Glad you think so, we named him after you!"

I don't know how else to put it. I bought one, love it, feel great driving it, but I have no delusions that I am a member of the real "Jeep Guys" club. The Renegade owners seem to live in that fantasy world, as if their Jeep club membership card is simply "lost in the mail somewhere"..

All that being said, the new Compass is still so, so great. Excellent advanced technology AWD system, quality interior, great tech options, spot-on exterior styling, all at a great price. Its everything I had wished the Honda HRV would be back when it was first announced and looks so much better than any of subaru's offerings, I would have bought the Compass no matter which of their stickers FCA put on it. (I am really glad it doesn't have a Fiat sticker, tho)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 PM

I have had my jeep compass since Nov. 17 and love it! I don't use it for off roading just a nice looking road buggy cruiser. I have a 2015 latitude. Good luck on whatever you decide on.The compass is a great vehicle for the money.

2015 compass latitude, billet metalic, 6sp auto, 2.4L. oem slush mats, s/s exhaust tip, classII hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 PM

welcome to the forum!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Welcome!

I don't think "truck" is the word I would use... more like a glorified over-sized all-wheel-drive car in most respects... but its still a great machine!

Whether it lives up to the Jeep name... thats a tough one. In Trailhawk trim maybe... kinda... Otherwise it might as well be badged as a nice Chrysler. Its a nice road buggy and if it were sold under the Chrysler name it would be considered fantastic for what it is. As a Jeep its a bit like a weird first cousin that you are required to invite to family gatherings but doesn't exactly fit in with the others.

When someone asks what you drive and you say "A Dodge!" They instantly go "Ram Truck?! Nice!" and then you have to tell them ".. no... Dodge Dart..." --- "Oh..."

Same thing with the Compass.
"I drive a Jeep!" --- "Oh nice! Is it the two door wrangler or the four?" --- "Uymmm.... Neither..." --- "Ohhh a Grand Cherokee? those are sweet!" --- "Yeah.. not that either..."

Don't get me wrong, its an amazing vehicle overall and with the Trailhawk package its close enough to be considered a basic intermittent off-roader but it doesn't hold a candle to the wranglers and it doesn't have the power and clout of the grand cherokee. A real Jeep I would say it is not, and I say that because mainly you have to look at the lowlyst base model to understand what any particular vehicle is or is not. Any cool extra stuff tacked on in the form of trim upgrades is smoke and mirrors, they all are the base model at heart.

Its an excellent CUV that came about when Chrysler and Fiat decided to build something together and said "Hey, we want to be better than Subaru and smoke Toyota and Honda, lets call our buddy Jeep over here and take some pointers from him." and when it was done Jeep said "Hey that little guy turned out pretty good" and FC said "Glad you think so, we named him after you!"

I don't know how else to put it. I bought one, love it, feel great driving it, but I have no delusions that I am a member of the real "Jeep Guys" club. The Renegade owners seem to live in that fantasy world, as if their Jeep club membership card is simply "lost in the mail somewhere"..

All that being said, the new Compass is still so, so great. Excellent advanced technology AWD system, quality interior, great tech options, spot-on exterior styling, all at a great price. Its everything I had wished the Honda HRV would be back when it was first announced and looks so much better than any of subaru's offerings, I would have bought the Compass no matter which of their stickers FCA put on it. (I am really glad it doesn't have a Fiat sticker, tho)
This was a fantastic read! Thank you for sharing aha. And yes I completely understand what you are saying in regards to it qualifying as a "Jeep". It really does seem to offer a lot for its price point and that's why of my main reasons for interest. I have no interesting in taking it off-roading, so it lacking in that regard is a non issue. And while originally I was interested in the Trailhawk simply for its styling, it seems from what I've ready that it doesn't really justify the increased price point. Do you guys find the power offering in the base model to be sufficient?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier
Do you guys find the power offering in the base model to be sufficient?
If you are in north america that I know of they are only offering one engine so far, the 2.4L, in any trim level and the vast majority of them have the 9-speed automatic (although it is used slightly differently in trailhawk vs non-trailhawk models along with different final drive ratios), so without splitting hairs they are pretty much all the same or very close no matter if base model or fully loaded.

I would describe the power as "adequate". For all intents and purposes it is fairly slow, with a clear focus on smooth and stable ride. It doesn't have a stoplight hole-shot, and passing people on two-lane roads is only done when you can clearly see a long, long ways ahead. It has no problem running at sustained high speeds, it just doesn't get up there quickly. This is typical of all the competitors in this size-segment, they all have just enough power to get around reasonably well and nothing extra for those days when you leave work hopping mad and you want to burn rubber out of the parking lot.

If they announce and release a larger, more powerful engine in the 250+ HP range in the next couple years for the Compass I will almost certainly trade up, because the only areas I feel it is lacking is in overall power and its also just a bit buggy being the first of a new generation. This Compass replaced a four door Chevy S10 Blazer for our household and the Compass handles much, much better and has way more creature comforts and tech, but the Blazer would blow the doors off the Compass in a race and could pull more than twice as much trailer.

Hard to say for sure, if they do enough updates to work the handful of bugs in the Uconnect out of mine and it came down to JUST lacking power... maybe I would keep this one... long-term it is a much simpler motor to work on (SOHC) than anything that would replace it. If someone comes out with a basic bolt-on turbo kit thats all it would really need and I'd probably continue to drive this thing for 10 years like I did with the Blazer. Given the number of vehicles FCA has jammed this 2.4 into, I don't think an eventual bolt-on or near-bolt-on turbo kit is out of the question. This is all theory for some day way off in the future when the warranty is out, of course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in