New member with a few questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
wbw

New member with a few questions

Hello all, new guy to this forum. I currently have a recently purchased 2002 Liberty with 97,xxx miles and am considering the Compass as my next daily driver. The Liberty is not a daily driver.

Below is a thread that I started in the '2nd Generation Jeep Compass General Forum" and got no response so far. So if you want to contribute you can do so here or in the "2nd Generation" forum thread. The tread is titled "New guy with a few questions and concerns". Thanks for any input.

I went to the auto show in Harrisburg Pa. over the weekend (I actually went twice) and came away thinking the Compass might be my next vehicle. I like the way it looks and felt very comfortable inside. It's a good size for me too. Not too small and not too large. I have not driven one yet as I'm not really ready to purchase and don't want to be hassled by sales guys yet.

First a question; can the oil and filter be changed without removing the skid plate?

Next, I'm concerned about the engine and transmission. Every magazine review I've read about the compass says the engine is anemic or lethargic. That nine speed auto is also a concern. It sounds like it has been improved over the last few years, but I've never read anything good about that trans. I almost bought a Renegade when they first came out (around 2013, I think) but didn't like the transmission at all when I test drove one. Recent articles I've read about the Compass say that it hesitates to downshift for passing. Where I live in York Pa. I need to get on I83 often and some of the entrance ramps are almost nonexistent. You really have to get it up to speed very quickly or bring it to a stop and wait for a huge opening.

I know that the real answer is to test drive one but I'm not ready to buy yet. But any feedback from you folks will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-01-2018, 10:46 PM

Garage
I thought I saw somewhere mentioning access panels for drain and filter on the skid plate. But I cannot confirm it as its like -3 below here and I am not crawling under there to check atm. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in