Ordered one today - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jasleth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Ordered one today

Bought a Renegade in August and it just wasn't the right fit for me. I'm hoping moving up to a Compass - as small as the changes may be - will help me love the compact SUV's more. Previous to the Renegade, I have only ever had 4runners. It has been a big adjustment but 4runners price is far beyond my capabilities or what I'm comfortable financing (even though I'd drive it forever)

I'm looking for any advice, recommended upgrades to look at? Do yall love it? Is the small size a problem? Any storage solutions such as CUP HOLDER storage. God, worst design ever lining em up like that. We liked the Cherokee design better there but couldn't make the add ons and price work for a Cherokee.

The order will be placed in the AM so it's not too late quite yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 04:20 AM

We went to the dealer to look at a Renegade at the same time, and ended up with our Compass. You must have got in on the $5,000 rebate for your rene? Thats what lured us in there but they had this Compass on the lot and once we saw that there was no going for the Renegade anymore. We pointed at the Compass and said "that one" then we pointed at the Renegade and said "we'll pay the same price as we would for that Renegade." They didn't like that much (the Compass was a 3/4 loaded limited trim) but a couple days later we had our deal sealed and we've been happy as clams ever since.

I will say, the Compass does not punch in the same weight class as a 4runner. More or less the Cherokee is Jeep's direct answer to the 4Runner, if not the Grand Cherokee perhaps. You are talking about a significant drop in cargo capacity, towing capacity, power, etc. The Compass is more in competition with the RAV4 and maybe the lower-end Highlanders to a small extent.

That doesn't mean the Compass isn't totally [email protected]$$, the smaller size is a plus in many aspects and the smaller amount of power to tap into is a part of getting better overall fuel economy. Pretty much getting the best of all worlds for my purposes. Its just big enough for four people to take a weekend road trip, per my testing so far, and plenty big enough for two people to adventure in. Nicest thing I've ever owned to drive to work and back on the weekdays, lot of bells and whistles in ours.

I think the Compass looks a lot better than the Cherokee (can't get over the Cherokee hood design). The interior is holding up great even though sometimes I use it like a work truck. Today I barreled right past a "road closed" sign and had fun cruising through the muddy bed of a road that is being rebuilt, easy as pie. Was good all winter too.

Overall I think its a really sharp looking, capable vehicle and I plan to drive mine for a long time. Part of me would also like to have a Grand Cherokee, but the price of the Compass is right and it can do everything I want it to do.

Test drive one thoroughly and spend some time making sure you like it space and power-wise, use the radio and all that good stuff, and if it still seems good then go for it!
post #3 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it could just have been a trim issue too. We went with the trailhawk this time from the altitude. The rene was 2wd and this one 4x4. Looking at the specs, its virtually identical but it felt different. Higher. Longer. Bigger. But minor. Hope it ends up being the right decision
The dealership is amazing and is ordering it custom without any money commitment. So I get it exactly how I want it. The only thing I wasn't sure id want was the lift gate so I left it off. Im fully capable of opening it manually lol. How spoiled we are. Got everything else.
Im not a heavy footed driver so gradual get up and go is fine by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM

The trailhawks are the sharpest looking of the bunch, no doubt. I like the limited with the 18 inch wheels and its chrome accents, it looks very classy on the road (where I spend 99% of my time) but there are times when I wish I had the aggressive look of the TH bumpers and fascia.

We are going camping next week and I am very excited to load it up and take it on that adventure (even though our destination is a regular organized campground...) I definitely *can* fit everything in the back with the rear seats folded down, but I have one of those hitch-mounted cargo racks and I'm thinking the large tent roll may end up riding on that instead as thats pretty much the one item that tips the scales from "being able to fit everything behind the rear seats" to "must fold down at least one rear seat". We'll see, it also depends on how much extras I bring such as cornhole and ladder golf, etc. One case of beer or two...

Eventually I want a roof-mounted cargo box for the tent but thats a steeper price compared to the $49 I gave for my hitch rack.

I hauled home a bunch of 6' boards the other day, they only fit diagonally across the cargo area with the seats down but they do fit and thats what counts. For all other large items I just hook up my 4x8 utility trailer. I pulled a full yard of wet black dirt home the other week to fill in some low spots in the yard and I could feel it was there but no trouble scooting right along with that for 25 miles. This thing handles all the dirty jobs, and then cleans up nice to take a couple friends out to dinner to boot.

I have a feeling in a couple years they are going to tempt me with a more powerful engine offering but so far thats really the only thing you could dangle in front of me to catch my interest. My last compact SUV I drove for 10 years, alongside a couple econo cars for commuting. This Compass I may drive for 10 years also but with the gas mileage it gets I no longer have or need a second car for efficiency.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2018, 06:23 PM

Garage
Compass and Cherokee vs Rav4
Grand is the closest to a 4Runner and not all that close

if price was no object I might have done a 4Runner over my Cherokee
that said the only option the better half would take over her Compass was a Wrangler

=P
arudlang likes this.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in