2017 2nd gen Compass Limited Tires - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 2nd gen Compass Limited Tires

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. Just traded in my 16 sport for a 17 limited. I am looking for all terrain tires so I can get to my cabin this winter. Any suggestions? Also, any problems reported with the 2nd gen? My 16 had transmission and fuel line issues but I loved her from day 1. So far, I love the new one even more but I havent played with her too much. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep 1.jpg (110.5 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Garage
as i have posted before my all time favorite AT tire is the bridgestone dueler revo

2018 Compass Latitude
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you but I do not think it comes in the size I need. 225/55R18. The Yokohama Geolander is all I can find online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM

Welcome and congrats on your new ride!

I can't quite make it out from the picture but I'm guessing you got the same crappy continental brand tires I did on my 2nd gen limited. They are a lame tire but I am trying to get at least a few useful miles out of them before I go to the geolandars.

These are what I am ultimately going to switch to: Geolandar A/T G015 225/55/R18

As you've seen the selection of tires that come in the right size for the 18 inch rim are very slim pickings. The G015 is a well reviewed good all-around tire it looks like and lucky it is good since there are almost no other alternatives out there. The only other (fringe) options would be dedicated snow tires you have put on and take off every season or maybe you could go to your local dealer and cut a deal to swap rims with another Compass on that lot that has the 17 inch rim so you could get a bunch more tire options.

I love the 18 inch rims and I'm not willing to trade them so it will be the geolandars for me. The continentals got me through one winter so far and at first I thought they were SUPER bad but it turned out my alignment was way out from the vehicle being strapped down hard on the transport. Once the alignment was fixed it was alright for the rest of winter, did everything I needed to do in the flatlands of Minnesota but I would not have been willing to drive through the mountains of Washington with them (which is where we have to go to visit family) so before the next winter mountain trip I will get them swapped out. The continentals are okay for most other intents and purposes. I don't like how lumpy they are, two shops have taken turns trying to balance them and they still shake a little at high speeds and every morning they have this flat-spot feeling until they heat up and round out, but they do roll and for the moment they are good enough just annoying that jeep would build a nice vehicle and cheap out on the tires (they are not the only ones though, many manufactures use bottom-of-the-barrel tires).

What tires did you have on your old Compass and how much did it struggle to get to the cabin with them? If that is more or less the only time you run into problems with traction you might also consider getting one or two (you did get the 4 wheel drive version, right?) sets of tire chains and just using them as needed. Cheaper than a set of new tires and then even when you do eventually get better tires its still nice to have the chains if you end up in a really bad situation.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 PM

Garage
fyi not all new ones come with continentals, mine have firestone, but they are 17"

2018 Compass Latitude
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I live in North Central West Virginia and my cabin is 45 minutes away from general civilization. The road is not what I call treacherous but does have a few steep inclines, rough patches, and is mostly gravel/dirt. The continentals on my 17 did fine for the most part but I doubt they will get the job done come winter. My 16 came with kumho whatevers and I quickly swapped them out for Firestone Firehawks, which were awesome.

The Geolanders are what I will probably switch to before the first snowfall but may also look into the 17" rim for more options.

Thanks for your response!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 PM

Ah! I was just in West Virginia this weekend! I even passed an olive green Compass going the other direction somewhere around Logan/Man at one point and made note of it to my fiance in the car with me (Ok, I excitedly point out every 2nd gen Compass I see on the highway, luckily she puts up with me!)

You didn't happen to notice a billet silver Compass towing a twin axle uhaul trailer, did you? Believe it or not (and there will be a detailed post about this later), I went from MN to WV this weekend and hauled back an entire rare suzuki parts car in a 6x12 uhaul box trailer. Pulling that combination through your mountains with the little Compass to get home was an interesting job! I can see why you would not want to roll on the mediocre stock tires come winter.

When we've been in the mountains around Washington there are always all these signs about when snow chains are required and special areas set up to put snow chains on and take them off. I just realized I didn't see anything like that in WV, do people not do the whole snow chains thing out there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in