New Member - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By cannoncino
  • 1 Post By Jasmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Hi all, just picked up my 2018 Limited Compass. Red/Black Top. so far i love it, except that start/stop. Def something I need to get used to. Anyways great to be here.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181016_164807.jpg (71.4 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Oooooh you got the 19 inch rims! Swanky! Welcome to the forum.

Many of us are in the habit of the two-button push-to start. Step 1 press the start button, step 2 press the ESS button to disable autostop for the rest of the drive. Its annoying but nobody has put forth a commercial product to eliminate it yet. Hopefully they will soon.
Jasmine likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Oooooh you got the 19 inch rims! Swanky! Welcome to the forum.

Many of us are in the habit of the two-button push-to start. Step 1 press the start button, step 2 press the ESS button to disable autostop for the rest of the drive. Its annoying but nobody has put forth a commercial product to eliminate it yet. Hopefully they will soon.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I wish I could just turn it off completely, doesn't make much sense to have it on if owners dont want it. Should be a choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 PM

I like the stop start. Had it on this and my last few cars. I like the silence when sitting at the lights and knowing it's saving a bit of fuel and some emissions. Wouldn't even think of turning it off.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-19-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggs View Post
I like the stop start. Had it on this and my last few cars. I like the silence when sitting at the lights and knowing it's saving a bit of fuel and some emissions. Wouldn't even think of turning it off.
Yeah Its something I just need to get used to, Ive never had it on any of my cars before.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Garage
Beautiful car...

I like red and black
scarfa21 likes this.

Jeep Compass 2018 | 2.0 Diesel 140hp 4x4 Manual Transmission | SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, I'M ITALIAN!
post #7 of 11 Old 10-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Welcome to the forum! I'm rather new myself. Nice colors! The ESS will probably only save you a few dollars a year. You can practice stopping without pressing to hard on the break. Doing this will not enable the ESS and you can be completely stopped while holding lightly on the breaks. I have to show my ID to get onto my installation so this is when I mostly use this technique. Again, welcome!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-19-2018, 01:27 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannoncino View Post
Beautiful car...

I like red and black
Its the closest thing to a creative paint scheme that any automaker has come up with in a generation.

Seems now they just offer a dozen varieties of black, gray or white with a red thrown in, and dealers don't even take advantage of the tiny variety offered.

"We don't order that color, it doesn't sell."
Well of course not! You don't have one for me to buy!!!

My Compass is blue, but its so dark it could just as well be black. I remember the two-tone cars of the 1950s and interior colors to match. Much more interesting palette then than now. We'd have several shades of every color and we could choose any combination that we wanted.
arudlang likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-19-2018, 02:48 PM

Garage
Great choice, I like too much bi color.

My preferred bi color are: orange and black coat.

Compass blue are boring, red-black no! ( my compass is grey, boring )

Jeep Compass 2018 | 2.0 Diesel 140hp 4x4 Manual Transmission | SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, I'M ITALIAN!
post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggs
I've had autostop on other cars but it was done properly, unlike this setup. Sure, sitting in silence at the lights is fine but the starter on this one is LOUD and unpleasant, and poor electrical design causes your exterior lights to dim and pulse with the cranking of the starter... it looks and sounds dumb and unintentional. The Honda I had with this feature was so subtle, a guy on his bicycle waiting next to you at a stoplight would not even be able to tell when the car restarted, it was so smooth and quiet.

Based on my rough math, you have to be sitting still for more than 10 seconds in order to be "saving" any fuel. For any stop shorter than that (which is 99% of stops for me out in the rural areas) you are better off for it to stay running. Holding still for more than 10 seconds is really rare in northern MN. Only happens if you hit a train crossing at the wrong time.

I've been working on a couple different designs for modules that would "fix" the ESS system for me, but mostly too busy working on other projects. One of these days though, I'll get around to it. My first choice would be what I believe is the approach used in commercially available modules for other FCA vehicles, via CANBUS integration. My fallback plan is to make a wiring harness to straddle the two legs of the switch in the console with a relay and emulate the pressing of the switch on startup. Crude but it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannoncino
( my compass is grey, boring )
Grey is not boring, grey is a magical color that conveys style and refinement without being to boisterous or drawing too much attention. Grey/Silver slides right by the police's eyes when going a little too fast on the highway
post #11 of 11 Old 10-20-2018, 06:57 AM

I find it just as subtle as on previous cars. Maybe it varies from engine to engine? (I have the 1.6 diesel manual)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in