Perfect Tow vehicle - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 1 Old 12-24-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Perfect Tow vehicle

Didn't even know the Jeep Compass existed Until about 3 weeks ago. I deliver vehicles for a living so I'm always looking for the perfect vehicle to tow behind whatever I'm delivering whether it's A RV or a truck at cetera.There are 5 or 6 criteria for the perfect Tow vehicle and I've never been able to Find a vehicle that meets All criteria. 1st is to have a little bit taller hatchback so that you can get stuff in-and-out easily and carry more cargo. There are very few Automatic cars you can tow with all 4 Wheels on the ground so you usually have to get a vehicle with a manual transmission. For my industry it helps if you can get a vehicle with 4 wheel drive but a lot of those vehicles are classified as all wheel drive and therefore can't be towed. The hardest criteria to meet, is if you can find a taller hatchback with a standard transmission and 4 wheel drive capability, there is only a few whose weight come out below most States recommended towing weight without using a brake assist device. At about a curb weight of 3500 pounds the compass is the only one besides the Patriot that meets this criteria. Even the Wrangler is heavier. The last important criteria for the perfect tow vehicle is one with at least a decent gas mileage. Other Taller hatchback 4 wheel drive models ( Which are still heavier) That I looked at have at best a "listed" highway mileage of 23 to 24 mpg. As I've already said the only 2 vehicles I found that meet all criteria are the Compass and the Patriot. I bought a 2009 Compass which is the 1st year that they were made which you can tow with all 4 wheels On the ground. So far am absolutely loving it. The various tow bar manufacturers do have a bracket for making this Jeep towable but in looking at the hardware it looks a little too flimsy for me to trust. I usually have my hitch custom made and welded to the best part of the Frame. Before having a hitch put on to this Jeep, I had noticed A couple companies make a Winch bracket in which the winch can actually go behind the bumper between the cover and the radiator. It appears there's only a couple Winches that are compact enough(expensive) to be hidden behind the bumper with a special bracket, but these don't allow for a better tow bar hook up. The picture I have included is what my Hitch guy was able to come up with to hide the majority of the winch behing the bumper( Some cutting modifications were necessary) so as to include a much sturdier tow bar. One of the things I was trying to accomplish is to make the winch serve a dual purpose. When towing a vehicle you must have safety chains or cables attached to the vehicle you're driving. Often these chains or cables are too long or too short and you have to wrap them or tie them up to make them work especially if you're moving a different vehicle each week. So esensually I ran the cable wire all the way out And where the cable goes through the drum, I pulled it all the way through until both sides were approximately the same distance so I ended up with 2 separate cables coming out from the winch. Wrapped the other end of the cable into a loop using cable Clamps and put another hook on the second end. We then put 2 "D rings" on the outer edge of the hitch bracket so that the cables can go through both ends and come out to be used as safety cables. Using the winch motor, I can make the cable lengths as long or short as Is needed and the D rings and the cut out we put in the tow bar bracket will take most of the force of any jerk that might happen should the hitch become detached from the towing vehicle. You have any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181222_163242_1545666746952.jpg (42.9 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in