2018 Jeep Compass Limited, not happy - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jasmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

2018 Jeep Compass Limited, not happy

Hi everyone,
My new 2018 Jeep Compass Limited has left me stranded 2 times now. It won't start. First time with about 240 miles on it and the second time the other day with 3600 miles on it. It is at the dealer for the second time right now. I so regret buying this car and letting go of my 2008 VW Jetta that never left me stranded . The mechanic says it is not the battery. He says he is not sure what it is. Battery is not holding a charge. I was so excited to get this car and now just want it to go away. I don't feel safe driving it anywhere for fear it won't start when I turn it off. Has anyone experienced this and if so, were you able to get it fixed. I am thinking I have a lemon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennySue20 View Post
Hi everyone,
My new 2018 Jeep Compass Limited has left me stranded 2 times now. It won't start. First time with about 240 miles on it and the second time the other day with 3600 miles on it. It is at the dealer for the second time right now. I so regret buying this car and letting go of my 2008 VW Jetta that never left me stranded . The mechanic says it is not the battery. He says he is not sure what it is. Battery is not holding a charge. I was so excited to get this car and now just want it to go away. I don't feel safe driving it anywhere for fear it won't start when I turn it off. Has anyone experienced this and if so, were you able to get it fixed. I am thinking I have a lemon..
What happens when it doesn't start? Would it not crank and/or there is no power to any auxiliaries. Do you have any codes or check engine light?
post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Give it a chance.
  • I bought a brand new Oldsmobile with a bad tranny from the start. In fact, on the test drive the dealer said, "I'm not letting you take this car till we replace the transmission." Turned out to be one of my favorite cars of all time.
  • I later had a Pontiac Grand Prix that ate a CD on its maiden voyage. Dealer replaced the radio and next to my '08 Patriot it was the best vehicle I ever owned -- went just shy of 250,000 miles on nothing more than a couple tie-rod ends and a couple wheel bearings.
Give it a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 PM

Review the lemon laws in your state and make sure you receive documentation for each visit with your complaint and what was resolved or not.

You could have something faulty that they can fix or you can have a lemon with something seriously wrong.

Most, if not all of us, have great experiences with our compasses. Your situation is certainly odd, and hopefully your dealer can fix it and make things right. The dealer is a middle man between the manufacturer and you, they want you happy as well but every manufacturer has processes and hassle relating to warranty repairs.

Fingers Crossed and let us know what happens
post #5 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 AM

You said the battery is not holding a charge; isn't the answer right there?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

The check engine light comes on. Last time there was a click, click,click sound. Brake pedal seems stuck. Battery checks out as good by Jeep dealer mechanic. Mechanic thinks something is draining the battery. I always take fob with me,never leave anything on in car. Car lives in a garage. Still at dealer. Now today when he tried to drive it, car did start, but, traction control warning light came on....Glad it is with him. I do have a case file with Customer Service. I have checked out the Lemon Laws in my state and I may have to go that route. This car has put me at risk.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Update: Car is home. The mechanic does not know why the battery does not hold a charge. So, I wait to see how long before it does not start again and call the flatbed and go through this again. Maybe it will be ok...
post #8 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Update: Car is home. The mechanic does not know why the battery does not hold a charge. So, I wait to see how long before it does not start again and call the flatbed and go through this again. Maybe it will be ok...
Try to take a video of the event if it happens again. Maybe someone here, or the dealer might be able to help if they see it.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 AM

One potential suggestion. Check the headlights on the car. They could be turned on and draining the battery. Not saying you left them in the "on" position but there is a possibility of a faulty headlight that maybe draining the battery even when the car is off.

I was looking at a low mileage 17 compass that needed it's battery and headlight replaced with very low mileage. Was told that was very odd, but could be the same situation you are having now.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

It is not the headlight. Remember it first happened with just a little over 200 miles on it and I owned it for just over 1 week. Then it happened at 3,600 miles. It was OK in between. Car has not even had it's first service. I have found a video on YouTube that shows what happens and suggested to the mechanic that he look at it to give him an idea of what I see. He never did... I also mentioned the video to the Sales Manager and he said to me:" you know, you have to be careful what you look at on youtube", I responded in a very angry tone and said "Don't,just don't" and walked away...I am so done ...Customer service gave me a number and a case manager who almost 1 week later I have not spoken too. I will never own another Jeep. I am not the only one with this problem. The issue is that other people don't always take their car into the dealer right away and have documentation to support their complaint. People also need to know to file their complaints on the NHTSA government site. If enough car complaints show up there, they sometimes encourage car manufacturers to issue recalls. I have learned lots this past week that I never really wanted to learn. Maybe if I keep talking about it, it will help someone else. Eventually this car will strand me again because it is not repaired. I was so excited to get this car. Yes, it is Red with the Black top! Really sharp looking. I love the heated steering wheel, the seats get too hot,though. The panoramic sunroof is amazing. Sigh...
post #11 of 11 Old 01-09-2019, 02:39 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
It is not the headlight. Remember it first happened with just a little over 200 miles on it and I owned it for just over 1 week. Then it happened at 3,600 miles. It was OK in between. Car has not even had it's first service. I have found a video on YouTube that shows what happens and suggested to the mechanic that he look at it to give him an idea of what I see. He never did... I also mentioned the video to the Sales Manager and he said to me:" you know, you have to be careful what you look at on youtube", I responded in a very angry tone and said "Don't,just don't" and walked away...I am so done ...Customer service gave me a number and a case manager who almost 1 week later I have not spoken too. I will never own another Jeep. I am not the only one with this problem. The issue is that other people don't always take their car into the dealer right away and have documentation to support their complaint. People also need to know to file their complaints on the NHTSA government site. If enough car complaints show up there, they sometimes encourage car manufacturers to issue recalls. I have learned lots this past week that I never really wanted to learn. Maybe if I keep talking about it, it will help someone else. Eventually this car will strand me again because it is not repaired. I was so excited to get this car. Yes, it is Red with the Black top! Really sharp looking. I love the heated steering wheel, the seats get too hot,though. The panoramic sunroof is amazing. Sigh...
An angry tone, a snarly remark, and walking away. Yup, that must be the way to get them on your side.

So something is causing your battery to run down? That happens. Electrical problems can be tricky to diagnose. Usually a dealer is your best help because they've got access to the dealer network and if anyone else has had the problem, they'll know about it. If your problem is uncommon, your dealer will eventually find the problem. Tracking a power drain is tedious and time-consuming, but its a lot easier on something new than something with a zillion miles on it. Fortunately you are under warranty and its FCA's dime.

However, you get them POed at you and you'll have to go the arbitration route (presently, you're a long way from lemon territory). They tell the arbitrator that, yeah, you had a problem, but blew them off when they were willing to fix it. You won't have a snowball's chance on a summer sidewalk with an arbitrator.

Swallow your pride, apologize, admit your frustration, and if you're lucky they'll again try to work on it.
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Jasmine; 01-09-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in