😩 oil issues - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

😩 oil issues

Hello , I’m new to this group.
This is my second jeep, 2017 compass.
So far dealer has replaced the engine at 32000 miles. Oil issues began at 11000.
Struts replaced and an “hose clamp” that was defective and broke causing all coolant to leak out! Needless to say I’m not a happy Jeep owner at the moment .
Tonight the oil light is on and the oil stick is DRY . And was confirmed DRY by AAA driver.
I’m in contact with Jeep and we are on a first name basis ...
good luck with oil consumption issues !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

While many of the 2.4 Kittenfish engines are fine, many are oil suckers. Mine is middle of the road. I'm now at 28,000 and I'm getting about 2500/quart -- that's an improvement from about 1200/quart when new.

Oil consumption is a problem for many manufacturers these days, not just FCA. You can read other auto blogs. Tolerances are intentionally looser to reduce internal friction and the oils are thinner (who ever heard of 0w-20 until now?) for the same reason. Putting thinner oil in an engine with looser tolerances pretty well explains why oil is disappearing from our engines.

Unfortunately FCA hasn't installed a low oil level light which would be a smart idea. We have so many unnecessary gizmos on these things, but here they design an obvious pitfall and fail to warn us. The good news is the engine will shut down if the oil gets too low. The bad news is where might you be when that happens: Boston's "Combat Zone"? Middle of the desert? Mountain pass in a blizzard? On the way to the hospital with your wife in labor? Even making a left turn could be a crisis cuz it will quit when it feels like quitting.

Failing to install a low oil warning light is a MAJOR blunder on their part. When they knowingly build a vehicle with such a weakness it would have been prudent to at least give us a warning light. My 2001 Pontiac had a low oil warning light 17 years ago, so we know the technology exists. Heck, my 1929 Hupmobile had a float so I didn't even need to pull a dipstick. That was almost a century ago. (No, I was not the original owner!)

The only practical solution is to check your oil at every fill-up just like you would do if you were driving a vehicle with 200,000+ miles on it. Sure you'll have to add oil, but it beats ruining your engine. FYI, FCA will tell you anything better than 1000/qt is "normal."

As I said at the start, your consumption may improve with time and miles. Warning, don't try to outfox them by using thicker oil because the oil system in these engines sprays the oil in a mist, it doesn't squirt like engines always did. If it can't mist the oil, it won't get where it needs to and with the wrong oil in the crankcase, you may as well use your warranty to start your woodstove.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 PM

Garage
I took delivery on our 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude on 1/15/18, in the dead of winter and one of the Polar Vortexes we had that year. I have used the dealer I purchased it from for service on our PT Cruisers for 8 years and have always felt safe and comfortable with their service. So I assumed the oil level was correct when I took delivery and the first time I checked the oil level was at 1738 miles and was down about ¾ of a quart and topped it off. I next checked it at 2555 miles AND in a level parking lot and after the engine was shut down for 5 minutes as per the manual. The level was down 1 quart.

At 4038 miles I changed the oil and filter myself and filled it with exactly 5-1/2 quarts of oil. I also ran the engine for 5-10 minutes and shut it down and waited 5 minutes before checking the oil. Since my driveway has a bit of a slope, the level on the dipstick was about ¼ inch below the Full line. I scored a line at the actual level as my “Full” mark in the driveway since that’s where I am going to check it the most. I measured the distance between the factory full and add range and scored another line as my “ADD” mark.

Since my oil change and knowing exactly how much oil I started with, I checked the oil at the following mileages…5276, 6600,7845 and 9200 miles and each check showed it was about ½ quart low and I topped it off. So bottom line right now at 9000+ miles, I am averaging 2600 miles/Quart. Big improvement from when I first got it.

Compared to my PT Cruiser which is about the same weight (yes, they are a heavy car) and same engine size, I am getting 30 more HP and 5-6 miles more per gallon doing the same kind of driving in the Compass. I can live with this, just have to get in the habit of checking the oil more often.
Jasmine likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in