Introduction - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Introduction

My name is Mike and last week I bought a 2019 Jeep Compass Sport. This is the first Jeep I have ever owned and so far I am happy with the way it drives and handles. This vehicle replaces a Saturn VUE which I had for 16 years and ran well, but being from Northeast PA, undercarriage rust ruined the vehicle. I was a Saturn owner for 26 years.

I like the fact that this vehicle is capable of light towing, this week I will have the tow package installed by U Haul. I tried to get it from the dealer but the parts were not available and not known when they would become available. For my heavier towing needs I have a Chevrolet Tahoe, but the Jeep is going to be my daily running vehicle.

To be honest I went for the Jeep mainly because it was available with a manual transmission. I have driven a manual all my life and did not want to give that up. The Tahoe is an automatic, but its not my daily running vehicle, and I needed a towing vehicle with a decent capacity, so in that case I had no choice.

The only thing I was taken back by was the lack of a spare tire, I do understand that some vehicles don't include one but there is space for one and when I asked about the spare tire package, it came up as not available with no known date of when it would become available for purchase. That surprised me as I would think they would have that as a stock item. I would rather carry a spare as our roads are known for potholes with the thaw & freeze cycles we get here in the Northeast.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Welcome! Yeah, I agree about the spare. In my life about half the flat tires I've had were catastrophic, e.g., blowout, tread separation, cut sidewall. Most of the other flats were nails in the tread that made for slow leaks. Having a flat just happen, then pumping it up, has not been my experience. I guess I should get a spare.

What's with this kit? Isn't a mounted spare all we need?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
From looking online for this kit, it includes not only the spare tire, but a replacement for the mounting tray where the compressor is placed to hold the spare and also the jack and lug nut tool. The jack fits inside the tire mount. Picture attached from the website.

The best lead time I could find so far is 2 to 3 months out.

In the meantime, I bought a plug kit and put that in the trunk area.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp-compass-spare-tire-kit-24.jpg (129.5 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Thanks Mike. As I said, I may look into that. I do kinda like the extra storage space without it, but a spare is something only needed every couple years, but when you need it, you need it.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Our area is known for potholes, a sidewall hole would make the compressor and slime kit useless. The extra storage space is nice, but I would rather have the spare tire.

Mike
post #6 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is a picture of my new Jeep, today I had the tow package installed by U Haul since I couldn't get one from the dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0409191327_HDR (Medium).jpg (72.5 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 01:17 AM

I put my stock 18" in the spare well when i changed my wheels. Now my wife has a full spare. She'll have to make do without the extra space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0207190122~2_1555118256310.jpg (54.3 KB, 4 views)

Currently in garage/driveway

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1981 Chevy El Camino
1974 Pontiac Catalina
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What did you do for a jack and lug nut tool?

Mike
post #9 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Had the hitch installed by U haul this week. I was using one of those tri-ball drawbars with the Saturn (basically a zero drop) Ill have to hook the trailer up to see if its level with this setup, it might be a little lower then it was with the Saturn.

Worst case, I have some 2 inch drop drawbars and I can just flip the balls around to make it 2 inch rise.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0412191334 (Medium).jpg (82.9 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer View Post
What did you do for a jack and lug nut tool?

Mike

Nothing yet. but at least roadside assistance can change the tire instead of having to tow it.

Currently in garage/driveway

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1981 Chevy El Camino
1974 Pontiac Catalina
post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yesterday I wanted to see how level the trailer would be with the hitch. It appeared like this hitch setup was slightly lower then was with my Saturn. I was using one of those tri-ball draw bars, basically a zero drop draw bar. This one is handy since I need both 1-7/8" and 2" ball at times. Looks to be pretty level, maybe a slight rise, so it isn't much different then the Saturn.

I do have two 2 inch drop units, one already has the 2" ball, went out and bought the 1-7/8" ball for the other and will see how that looks. I do realize that the towing capacity of this Compass is 2,000 lbs. It is nice to have a towing vehicle for light duty. I have the Tahoe for pulling our ATV trailer / tent combination.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0413191008_HDR (Medium).jpg (87.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0413191008a_HDR (Medium).jpg (87.7 KB, 2 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in