New Compass owner Intro + 2 quick questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

New Compass owner Intro + 2 quick questions

Hello all,

I just purchased a new to me 2014 jeep compass. It's a sport model with the 5 speed manual. I like it so far but had two quick questions.

I purchased a factory styled roof rack off of Amazon. I installed the bars but am not sure if the are installed correctly. The front bar mounts screw on just fine and the cross bar is oriented properly (arrows pointing forward and teardrop shaped bars facing with the blunt end facing forward). The rear bars have the arrows pointing rearward and the teardrop shaped bars are facing so that the narrow end is facing forward (180* from the front bars). The rear bar also seems to be tilted slightly (toward the rear hatch spoiler) a little bit compared to the front. Is this correct? (If pictures are needed, I can go snap a few and attach).

It's first weekend voyage had me driving almost 800 miles this last weekend. It's gas mileage is great and idles as smooth as I had expected it would. I did notice a slight and momentary drop in power every time when under heavy load (hard acceleration). It's almost as if it misses once in a while. It's sporadic when I'm on it, and stops 'missing' when I lower the load (only lightly accelerating or maintaining speed). It is very RPM specific but not speed specific.
I've put in high octane gas and dry gas additive prior to the trip. I've run nearly 4 tanks of gas through it as well.

Sorry for the book and thank for any advise in advance.
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Welcome!

I'm not sure on the crossbars, but I think the arrows should all be pointing forward. They are on my Patriot which is a sibling to the Compass and a cousin to the Caliber. Since I used to carry a canoe on the roof I did not put the locking pins into the crossbars; that way I could take the crossbars off and my canoe would fit snugly between the side rails.

As for the hesitation under load, the most obvious possibility is that you need new plugs. Patriot plugs are only good for 30,000 miles which isn't very long by 21st Century standards. Changing plugs is an easy project on these engines but you'll probably need an extension to reach them down there. My favorite hint is to use the coil pack to get the new plugs started to avoid cross-threading.

Misfire under load is a classic symptom of a failing coil and each cylinder has its own coil pack. If it is a bad coil pack you don't have to replace all four, just get one and try it in each cylinder till the problem goes away. That said, I've had two Jeep Patriots with a total of 400,000 miles and never had to replace a coil pack on either. Try the plugs first, they're a heck of a lot cheaper.

If those guesses don't help, here's a long shot. Uneven tire wear or odd sized tires can confuse the ECM. This happened on my first Patriot. Never from a stop, but any time I was moving and put a load on it, like an entrance ramp or climbing a hill at speed, I would get a strong stutter as if the engine quit for an entire RPM -- more than just one cylinder misfiring. It was only for an instant and it would go away immediately, like I said, just like a single RPM, but if it was a long climb it might happen again. In my case I had different sized tires front to rear. Once I got new tires it ran smooth as silk.

I hope one of those ideas works. Good luck!

Last edited by Jasmine; 07-17-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
I bought some crossbars off of amazon too and ran into the same problem. The holes didn’t match up on the rear bars. Like it requires a different rear mount. I ended up drilling my own hole through the rack mount and it works fine. I tested the strength by adding a cargo basket and a light bar onto that and loaded the basket with gear and it help up on a long trip up the dragons tail in south western North Carolina if you’re familiar with that area. I think that will count as withstanding the test. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
You do realize the Jeep is tuned to run 87 octane. Using a higher octane rated gas is not beneficial and wastes money. Might even be what’s causing your miss/ hesitation. Try 2-3 tanks of 87 octane gas n see if it goes away..

2019 Limited
Only limited by which laws I take seriously.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in