2018 Jeep Compass Limited - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Jasmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

2018 Jeep Compass Limited

Created an account to see if anyone has any information on performance tuning and performance upgrades for the 2.4 L Tigershark engine, I love my Compass, but I’m tired of getting cut off Honda Civics with 200+ HP, I need more than 180 HP on my Compass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
more HP?
get a diff vehicle with a bigger engine

unless you throw on a turbo, you may get 5-10 more hp intake/exhaust/computer

maybe an cherokee srt

2018 Compass Latitude
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2019, 12:02 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltran1998 View Post
Created an account to see if anyone has any information on performance tuning and performance upgrades for the 2.4 L Tigershark engine, I love my Compass, but Iím tired of getting cut off Honda Civics with 200+ HP, I need more than 180 HP on my Compass.
Welcome!

As you have discovered the Compass is not a racing car. It is good at what it does--light off-roading and getting through winter snow, but its not going to out-perform cars designed for speeding down the highways. You may find some consolation knowing that in other venues your Compass will outperform their vehicles.

I agree the 9-spd shifts a little sluggishly, but that's because its a 9-speed. It was chosen for the Compass to maximize fuel economy. It is not a performance transmission. This may be the root of your problem. When you demand a downshift it must sequentially go through all the gears to get to where you sent it -- its just the way it works. You can do a web search for ZF 9-speed and find people who know a lot more than I who can explain it far better.

Indeed, 200HP is more than 180HP. Shy of installing a turbo, you're not going to get any more out of your Compass engine. Do the math: it is what it is. Really, doing the math the Tigershark (Kittenfish) engine is already 25% over 1HP/CID. Even NASCAR is only getting 2HP/CID. We are all at the mercy of physics.

If you really don't believe me there are various mods that aftermarket companies sell, but really, do you think that changing the shift points, attaching some gizmo to your engine, or pouring some super-juice into your tank is going to do anything a room full of professional engineers at FCA didn't think of?

If you are deceived by their advertising then go ahead and try their product(s). Then drive more aggressively and <voila!> you've got more power!

I'm sorry if I come off as patronizing. About 15 years ago I had a car that was fully capable of passing 'most anything else on the road -- and I made the decision it just wasn't worth the effort. I still get where I'm going and quite often in city traffic I catch up with the speeder at the next set of lights. On rural roads they can pass me and go as fast as they want but it may be a deer not a 'bear' that they meet around the next curve.

Life is good; smell the roses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltran1998
performance tuning and performance upgrades for the 2.4 L Tigershark engine

This engine is already strung out for all the power its worth, short of a turbo as others have said which to my knowledge has never been satisfactorily done on an FCA 2.4

The 9 speed holds it back a lot and the umpteen overdrives give it a real feeling of gutlessness on the open highway. Not much you can do there but shifting manually can help a little.

You'll get as much as you are going to get by using as small of diameter tires as is practicable and carrying as little extra weight as possible. Otherwise it pretty much is what it is until the warranty is out and more drastic options come onto the table like a custom turbo setup.

In my opinion this car would only need a very mild turbo setup to be much more enjoyable to drive and more competent on the interstate. I don't believe it needs more than 180-200 HP peak, it just needs to make that kind of power earlier in the rev range. Some day when we have it paid for free and clear and the powertrain warranty is shot we may look into that for fun. As long as its not paid for and under warranty though, you are stuck with it as-is and don't expect any manner of intakes or air filters or exhausts or so called "chips" to do anything for you except steal your money and replace it with a placebo effect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in