2018 Jeep Compass Sport - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

2018 Jeep Compass Sport

Just bought a 2018 Jeep Compass for my daughter to travel to/from school and work and to come home to visit. Had to get a mid sized SUV that would not kill the wallet yet was still dependable. Figures we would buy her a Jeep as we also have a 2016 Grand Cherokee and a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. Maybe we should do a Jeep commercial.....lol
Want to get on here to learn more about this model of Jeep and help prevent any issues down the road. Already experienced the joy of replacing the cabin air filter....UUGGHH.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-07-2019, 12:47 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Welcome!

Like yours, ours is a multi-Jeep family. Presently we have two, a 2014 Patriot and a 2019 Compass.
These replaced a 2008 Patriot (almost 300,000 miles ) and a 2018 Compass (totaled ).

As for problems, my 2018 Compass used a lot of motor oil. I was getting 3000/quart and that was a vast improvement over the first 20,000 miles when I was only getting 1000/quart. So make sure your daughter knows how to find the dipstick and checks it frequently. If it runs low on oil it will quit right where she is without warning -- middle of an intersection or the back side of a mountain -- and she's staying right there until its gets more oil. Might be smart to keep a quart in the trunk. If you bought this used, high oil consumption might be the reason the previous owner parted with it. Other than a nuisance, its not a problem if you're willing to put out a couple extra bucks to keep the oil level where it should be.

The other problem I had was a grumbling noise around 25-35MPH. My dealer did a software update and it moved the noise up to 45-50MPH where it was not nearly as noticeable. My 2019 makes the same noise but only below 25MPH so again, its hardly noticeable at that speed. Apparently it is a normal function and not a defect, but it has gotten a lot of people worried.

On the bright side, these get excellent fuel economy. I'm getting low 30sMPG overall, and mid-30s on a long trip. The Compass rides and handles great and is quite comfortable on long trips. Overall I'm very happy with my Compass. I liked it enough to replace my 2018 with a 2019. She should be the envy of the dormitory!

Nor should she ever have to worry about getting stuck in the snow, just give her a good set of snow tires if she's going to be driving in northern latitudes. IHMO the OEM tires are great on the highway but not so good in winter conditions.

Last edited by Jasmine; 08-07-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in