Potential 2011 Compass owner... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Red face Potential 2011 Compass owner...

Hi - I am in the process of researching, as i am getting ready to buy my first NEW car.

I have had two used Jeep Grand Cherokees in the past - my first one was taken too soon when an Expedition decided to not pay attention to my brake lights and crush me in between him and the CRV in front of me. Those who saw my car said i shouldn't have been able to walk away (looked like a giant accordion - the back seat was in the front seat and the engine came through the floorboard - but i did (with not one injury) - i give all the credit to my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee for keeping me safe in that accident, and that is one of the reason's why i want to stay true to the Jeep brand. I just feel safe in them.

My current Grand Cherokee is a 2003, and although it has low miles, it isn't being as good to me as the 2001 was. It's in the shop constantly and i think it may have just been a lemon from the start. It hasn't shaken my trust in the brand, though, and i really want to get another Jeep.

I am looking at the Compass mainly because of the price tag and the size (the new Grand Cherokees seem a little big for me), and even though i have read some negatives, i actually really do like the look of it. Speaking of negatives, i have seen some other reviews out there that go into more than just the look. I have read some things about blind spots and bad pick up on the highway. I really WANT to like this car and i am posting on this board to see if anyone can convince me that these reviews are only a few of the opinions out there. And i do have faith, a lot of the posters i have seen out there really do seem to love their cars.

I am going back to the Jeep dealership this weekend to take another look.

So sorry for the very long first post - i promise i wont be so wordy if i end up becoming a permanent member (with a new 2011 compass).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! What I can say is when I first researched the Compass in '06, it had been given a lot of bad press/reviews. I liked it because, obviously it fit the budget, but the styling, gas mileage among other things really sold me on it and I'm one to test drive a vehicle myself before I will give credence to popular reviews/opinions. It's a great car, fun to drive and you will feel safe in it, not to mention the look of the 2011 is awesome! It is true about the blind spots, but you do get used to that. To me, the Compass has plenty of pick up and go, but good luck in your purchase and be sure to keep us posted! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the site and post as often and long as ya want!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome!

That is true about test driving for myself before taking the reviews/opinions to heart.
I'm looking forward to forming my own opinion as I continue my research and visit more dealerships. I really WANT to like this car, I fell in love with the look of it as soon as I saw it.

Looking forward to using this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Garage
take reviews with a grain of salt. it doesn't matter what someone else thinks of a car. it only matters what YOU think.

where are you located?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

very true, IRSmart - good advice.
I look forward to forming my own opinions on the Compass as i shop around and take a few rides. I am located in the Boston area, so i have a list of dealerships to stop at to see what styles they have available to view.

I'm pretty excited to start the shopping around phase of my car research - so far it's only been looking at pictures and reading write ups.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Garage
i have a very good friend of mine that lives in the worcester area (and i can prove it, because i know it's actually pronounced wuss-tah!). i realize i'm not a hop skip and jump around the corner, but if i can be of any assistance please let me know. i currently have over a dozen compasses in stock, along with a few patriots. let me know if i can be of any help!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 AM

2011 Jeep Compass

Hi,

I'll try my best to be as objective as I can, but I do own a 2011 Jeep Compass (see my sig).

I came from a 2003 Ford Escape V6 FWD (just to set a little background) and my wife owns a 2008 Ford Escape FWD 2.5 XLT.

I looked at all the vehicles in the Compass class (RAV, CRV, Escape, Tucson, Sportage, Forester) and read as much as I could about the vehicle before I bought one.

Most new vehicles have some level of blind spots, and when they don't have them , the make _me_ feel as if I am in a fishbowl. I have adjusted my mirrors and I am getting used to using them and then doing a quick shoulder check before changing lanes.

The pillars (A-Pillars I think they are referred to) are large, but for me I have adjusted my driving habits to them by approaching intersections and stopping further back when possible so everything stays in view thru the windshield.

I am getting used to the CVT, and found that if I get the RPMs into the right spot, the car moves fast (remember I am coming from a V6). While it is no rocket, I have not found myself feeling underpowered as the car writers. While I have not done any official comparisons, the 0-60 times of the cars I mentioned above with a 2.x size motor have approximately the same times. I wish that info existed on some website so potential owners could compare.

Take a test drive, if you have not already and see what you think.

Hope this helps,

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)

Last edited by gbridge; 07-02-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the responses!

I'll definitely let you know what i think after i go out and do a few test drives this weekend!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from my second Jeep Compass test drive.
I have to admit, i really liked the way it drove -- very smooth and seemed to be easy to control and i was expecting to notice the smaller engine more than I did. I really didn't notice a huge difference in terms of pick up speed, etc (although, i didn't get on the highway at all...). There was one moment during my test drive, though, where the car stops accelerating all together and it almost came to a complete stop (almost felt like it had run out of gas, although it had a full tank). The sales rep that i was with convinced me that he knew exactly what was wrong and made one little switch, which seemed to remedy the issue..........

All in all, though, you all were right - i definitely should have allowed myself to judge the car BEFORE reading the reviews because i am now able to form my own opinion.

I did notice the blind spots and i am still a little nervous (although, that may have just been the negative comments that i had read sticking around in my subconscious...). I noticed myself being VERY hesitant when backing out of the parking space because i felt like i couldn't see what i was doing. But then again, it may also be that i am just not used to it. I'm used to my grand cherokee and all the back window real estate and the low back seat headrests (i took my headrests off a while ago so i could put the seats down and never put them back on for some reason).

ANYWAY, long story short, still in the decision making stage. Still really want to like this car because i love/have faith in jeeps and really don't think I can make a new grand cherokee work. There is always the Patriot, I guess, but I just like the overall look of the Compass.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Garage
you may have bumped the car into autostick by mistake. when the sales person did the change, what did he do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in