Soon-to-be new owner - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Soon-to-be new owner

Hey everyone,

My wife and I just put a down payment to order our 2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 in Inferno Red Crystal Perl. We got it almost fully loaded minus the CVT, Rallye package and smokers package.

We have just recently expanded our family to include a baby and my wife's current VW GTI doesn't make life any easier getting the baby in-and-out of the car. After much searching we came upon the Jeep Liberty. After a test drive we weren't all the impressed and realized it wasn't the vehicle for us. However, we saw a Compass on the lot, which we previously dismissed based on it's looks, but in person it looked damn sharp. So we test drove a black on black 2008 5speed Compass and my wife fell in love with it. That was 2 weeks ago. After shopping around dealers we finally settled on someone we liked and got a descent deal on. Also, on a side note, props to Jeep for being the only SUV manufacturer that puts manual transmissions in their vehicles. It was so hard finding a car/SUV that fit our needs and still allowed my wife to enjoy shifting.

So now we patiently wait...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM

Re: Soon-to-be new owner

Hey NickD, welcome to the family. My wife and I have the 5 speed as well and love it. You can tell your wife that it doesn't feel like an SUV when coming off the line :mrgreen:
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 PM

With all the 5-speed posts here I'm kinda feeling left out. Maybe I should have got the 5-speed. Oh well at least I was the 115th person to buy a Compass in Canada!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 02:27 AM

Soon to be congratulations! I love my Compass and I am sure you will too.

I normally never buy automatics. I was raised with manuals and have never had problems with them. In the case of my Compass, I went with the CVTII out of curiosity and because I needed something that I could drive if I threw my back out. My other car is a 6speed manual....
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys My wife and I are really excited. This is also our first new New Car. In fact, my wife's VW she's had for almost 10 years now. She got it when she finished high school!

Manual transmission was the only way to go We've both been driving manual for quite some time and have had an auto car in the past and it's just not... engaging. My wife's VW is auto unfortunately but after we met I taught her stick, which I sometimes regret because she takes my car, which is a 5speed all the time. LoL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Garage

ibidem
We're in the same place.
Get pretty bored driving auto-trans. Hate rentals or loaners when my car is in the shop.
Can never stop myself from putting the auto through it's paces, up and down shifting, get the feeling I am going to break it. Like for sure I would have transmission problems if I every had an automatic of my own. Probably blow it out trying to rock out of a snowbank.
I never, EVER, get stuck with my 5-speed, historically in past BMW's and now with the 4x4 Compass.
- one last thing, I really like the ride and the driving experience of the Compass over the Liberty, at least the 2007. That big roof in the 2008 Liberty is another story though, but the deal breaker, alas 5-speed is N/A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad
Soon to be congratulations! I love my Compass and I am sure you will too. I normally never buy automatics. I was raised with manuals and have never had problems with them. In the case of my Compass, I went with the CVTII out of curiosity and because I needed something that I could drive if I threw my back out. My other car is a 6speed manual....
OnRoad - how are you enjoying the CVTII, any regrets? What if the back was not a worry?

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #7 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD
Thanks guys My wife and I are really excited. This is also our first new New Car. In fact, my wife's VW she's had for almost 10 years now. She got it when she finished high school!

Manual transmission was the only way to go We've both been driving manual for quite some time and have had an auto car in the past and it's just not... engaging. My wife's VW is auto unfortunately but after we met I taught her stick, which I sometimes regret because she takes my car, which is a 5speed all the time. LoL.
I grew up on the farm and the first vechile I learned to drive, a 1957 Chevy 1/2 ton, had a 3 speed standard. Used to be called 3 in the tree, instead of 4 on the floor. I've also driven grain trucks with 10s and 15s. I also drove long haul for 5 years.

I've only ever had one vechile that was automatic, my ex-wife had a Nissan hatchback when we first met. Every vechile since then has been manual.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Actually, the new 2008 Liberty is available with a 6speed manual. We tested one and my wife concluded it shifted like a truck manual. Makes sense...

rommel543: Hah, very nice! My father and I (well mostly him) restored a 1938 Buick Special 3speed manual on the floor. With bias-ply tires, no power steering and 4wheel drum brakes that take control of the direction of the car for you when you hit them was a blast. At the time when I started driving the only manual my parents had was that Buick. So my dad taught me on that. The oddest thing was the shift pattern:

Code:
R  2
|__|
|  |
1  3

post #9 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Yup thats what the Chevy's pattern was. And if you went over rough road it would pop it out of 3rd gear so you rested your arm on the gear shift to make sure it stayed in gear. The 57 was arm-strong stearing but it did have Posi-track, which made it nice for zipping across the lake in winter.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD
Actually, the new 2008 Liberty is available with a 6speed manual. We tested one and my wife concluded it shifted like a truck manual. Makes sense...
Mmmmmmmmm-
6-Speed. . . sounds great.
Only available on the Sport and North editions, not on the Limited, pity. That's why I had to wait three months, they did not seem to want to build my Limited with the 5-speed, even though offered.
I was looking at the '08, much bigger feeling to it then the previous model. I was more fond of the old versions looks and feel. But that roof, wow-weee.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #11 of 12 Old 03-15-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe

OnRoad - how are you enjoying the CVTII, any regrets? What if the back was not a worry?
At first I really did not care for the CVTII. It was weird. I was simply not accustomed to the engine sound not matching the speed increase.

Once the engine got broken in and the CVTII changed its behavior to match my driving style, I grew to like it. If I need to pass, I tip the handle left a couple of times and step on it. It is surprisingly responsive.

I was also impressed with the power transition when shifting on slippery surfaces. There wasn't any. Every automatic I had driven in bad weather, prior to the Compass, got squirrelly when it shifted.
The CVTII just changes very smooth.

If the back were not an issue, I would be driving a 5 speed and would still think the CVT was just another another automatic.

If this were my only vehicle, it would be a manual. I don't mind the CVTII but the tip thing is no substitute for the control of a clutch!
post #12 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

We got a rough delivery date of May 6th... Which is also my wife's birthday. When I brought up "Hey, you're getting a new car for your birthday!" she simply responded "You're not getting out of it that easy." LoL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in