Greetings & North Special Group Question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Greetings & North Special Group Question

Hello. I'm a newbie to this forum and to Jeep ownership in general. Well... almost. I have put a deposit down on my first Jeep vehicle, a 2008 Compass (in Canada) and am taking delivery tomorrow morning. Due to the excitement of a new vehicle I'm up late, unable to sleep and writing this... thus 'Jacked-Up-On-Jeep'.

I know... some people might say that even after purchasing a Compass I'm not a true 'Jeep' owner. That's okay. I've always loved Jeeps and always wanted one as long as I've been driving (26 years now). But life hasn't given me the circumstances to seriously consider a Jeep as my primary vehicle until now. So I'm excited.

I've pretty impressed with the 08 Compass though its probably my wife's choice more than mine (I only insisted on the 4WD). But I have a question regarding an option ours will be coming with.

Selection was limited where we live due to the popularity of the 4WD + 5 speed manual tranny. It qualifies for the 'Eco-Rebate' of $1000 and was in fact the only one left available anywhere within 500 KMs (give or take). I don't feel like paying the freight to bring one in from thousands of KMs away. So I'm stuck with Jeep Green. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

Anyways, in addition to the 'North Package' (25E), it comes with this 'North Special Group' optional package (listed as equipment number 'AL3' - a $650 option).

- Wheels: 17" x 6.5" Aluminum
- Heated Front Seats
- Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Speed Control
- Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls

So here's my question.... since the standard North Package Compass already comes with 17" x 6.5" Cast Aluminum Painted Sparkle Silver, what are these other wheels like that are listed in the 'North Special Group' ??? The salesperson was unable to tell me what the difference is and just speculated that they would be some sort of upgraded wheel. The website doesn't specify.

Does anyone out there have this 'North Special Group' that can enlighten me? Thanks

PS - Since I'll probably know the answer to this question in meer hours when I pick up my new Compass, and was unable to find it anywhere else online, I'll post back here when I find out.

Leif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Garage
Re: Greetings & North Special Group Question

Welcome and congratulations, I cannot help you regrading the question about wheels, but there are several styles for sure, on the road if they are not the chrome or the Ralley wheels, they all look about the same.

Green Jeeps are great, I almost went that way but again went for black (fourth black vehicle in a row - can't explain it, just like black I guess).
Enjoy your ride - the 5 speed is great.

And your comment about "real" Jeep, well since the company sold out to AMC there have been really no "REAL" Jeeps, but I think Chrysler has really refined the marque and the Compass has a "fun" factor missing since the "1948-Jeepster".

Sure would love to see a rag-top rendition of our Compass.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 11 Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
Sure would love to see a rag-top rendition of our Compass.
Oh, yea! That would be great. I too would love to see that.

Well I picked up my Compass and was extremely happy with the vehicle and loadout, considering I virtually bought it sight unseen.

I'll post some pics below. They don't do the vehicle justice though.

Wow! Such a terrific and fun ride! I put 400 KMs on her the same day I picked it up. I absolutely LOVE the 5 speed manual transmission! The CVT version I test drove sounded too noisy for my taste, despite the decent sound dampening they did on the vehicle. So I figured that with the saved cost of the manual, I could afford more bells & whistles. Boy, does this little buggy have bells & whistles! My wife loves the heated seats that comes with the 'North Plus' special package.

Btw... The North Special Group package I was wondering about is called 'North Plus Group' on the window sticker. The wheels are very nice and accent the vehicle nicely. I think these same style are found on the Patriot, no?

So far I can't say enough about how much I like this vehicle. So many small things that 'fit' just right. For instance... I'm just over six feet tall, and with the tailgate up I can walk under it and not bang my head! Not bad for a little buggy like this.

Leif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Welcome to the family. I love my Compass, in fact my cousin got one as well.

What other options did you go for?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! It's now been several months since we bought our Compass. We haven't had a single issue with it. I put on 1,400 Kms the first weekend we had it and its now heading toward 6,000 kms total.

We went for the North Package (air conditioning, power everything and a tonne of other stuff), with 'North Plus', which I have been told is only offered on the Green colored Compasses with the North Plus Package. The heated seats are great! I'm loving the upgraded wheels and leather wrapped steering wheel also. We also got the 4x4 and Sirius Satellite radio. Lovin it.

We received both a $1000 provincial tax refund (instant) and the $1000 eco-rebate. The eco-rebate arrived about a month and a half after applying for it. There was no problem getting the eco-rebate with the 4x4. I included with our application a multi-VIN report that shows we also have the manual transmission.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked-Up-On-Jeep

We received both a $1000 provincial tax refund (instant) and the $1000 eco-rebate. The eco-rebate arrived about a month and a half after applying for it. There was no problem getting the eco-rebate with the 4x4. I included with our application a multi-VIN report that shows we also have the manual transmission.
What's the provincial tax refund? I don't think I got that on my Compass back in April. I did get the Eco-rebate but didn't hear anything about the provincial one. What province are you in.
Good choice on the 5-speed with AWD. Everyone who rides in mine, loves it.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy
What's the provincial tax refund? I don't think I got that on my Compass back in April. I did get the Eco-rebate but didn't hear anything about the provincial one. What province are you in.
Good choice on the 5-speed with AWD. Everyone who rides in mine, loves it.
I'm in BC. The provincial tax refund/rebate is essentially $1000 reduction of the provincial sales tax at the time you purchase. When I was considering my purchase, I was originally told the promotion was over. Then local Jeep sales team looked further into it for me and realized it applied by model year, not by date.

Here's some info:

http://www.livesmartbc.ca/transportation/t_rebates.html
http://www.livesmartbc.ca/attachments/e ... e_2008.pdf

Leif
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2009, 03:21 AM

Greetings North Special Group Question

Ive recently swapped tranny in my xj, the trans was working fine in old jeep, get it installed in new one and all i have is drive, no reverse and neutral feels like parkalmost unable to push by hand any ideas???
post #9 of 11 Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Greetings North Special Group Question

Being a 67 its probably the closed knuckle front endNot worth its own weight in scrapAs for the truck as a whole why not build it into a camping rigIt would be one of a kind around here id sayMike
post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Garage
A camping rig . . . I like that!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
A camping rig . . . I like that!
At least he didn't call it a bug out rig. What do you do with this? Really?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in