Poor Euro NCAP safety results - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pe8er

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Poor Euro NCAP safety results

Euro NCAP Says Jeep Compass "Disappoints", Honda Civic "Impresses" in Latest Crash Tests - Carscoop

Compass received 2 stars in European crash testing, not good!

From the article:

The facelifted Jeep Compass, on the other hand, achieved only two stars against the 2012 criteria, with the European body stating that it "underachieved" in most areas of Euro NCAPís assessment.

According to the results, the compact SUV showed poor protection levels for passengers, particularly in the side pole test, while in pedestrian protection, it scored a "disappointing" 23 percent.

"Compact SUVs are the most popular sport-utility segment in Europe, but the Jeep Compass did not demonstrate itself as strong contender on safety in comparison to other tested competitors in the same category," Euro NCAP said in a statement.

Commenting on the latest results, Michiel van Ratingen, Euro NCAP Secretary General, said:

"The results published today show clearly that a 5 star these days means a lot more than a 5 star some years ago. Many car makers have moved on and so have we. Cars based on older technology, brushed up and marketed as new are not providing the same levels as safety as the newest models developed against the new targets. Consumers interested in a fair comparison will not be fooled by these results."

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM

Garage
Detailed reports for both Jeep and Honda can be found here:

Jeep: http://www.euroncap.com/files/474_datasheet.pdf
Honda: http://www.euroncap.com/files/475_datasheet.pdf

I noticed a couple interesting facts:

1. Jeep failed miserably in pedestrian tests. I know this might sound downright evil but being inside the car, I'm not too concerned about this score. I've been pretty successful in not driving into people, you know… Note: rating is limited to 2 stars solely because of low score in this test.
2. I don't know why Jeep failed in seatbelt reminder tests — the test doesn't mention why this system doesn't meet the "Europ NCAP's Requirements".

From my perspective, this test is just a reminder to be careful on the road. Honestly, I'm not too worried about it. I'm curious what does everyone else think.
Bruno likes this.

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
2.0l 156bhp
Black
uConnect
Leather Seats
18" Aluminum Rims

Wroclaw, Poland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Theres a good video of the test footage and in it the active head restraints don't trigger, maybe they don't allow these in Europe? Or else they weren't equipped...

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #4 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Garage
According to detailed report:

Quote:
The Compass is equipped with an active head restraint. This senses when the car has been struck and deploys the restraint to reduce the distance between the head and the restraint. However, Jeep did not provide evidence to demonstrate that the system operates robustly over a range of speeds and impact severities specified by Euro NCAP, so the system was tested 'passively', without deployment.
This basically means that it wasn't tested at all. Sounds shady, if you ask me.

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
2.0l 156bhp
Black
uConnect
Leather Seats
18" Aluminum Rims

Wroclaw, Poland

post #5 of 11 Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM

Garage
Don't panic yet!!!

For some added confusion/perspective:

From the site:

JEEP has scored its anticipated four-star crash-test rating in Australia for the recently facelifted Compass SUV – two stars better than it had achieved under the tougher new European test regime.

The Compass gained the higher rating in Australia simply because of differences in the way test results are weighted, with the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) giving more emphasis to rollover protection and less to pedestrian protection than the Euro NCAP regime.

General News - Jeep Compass safety rating boost | GoAuto

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM

There is someone on this forum who posted being hit in an accident and his side airbags DID NOT deploy. Something also that they won't in all situations. I have them in my Compass and figured it was good to have when not driving the much bigger Grand Cherokee I have.

This gives a false sense of additional air bag safety. I would think anyone being hit on the side would expect them to deploy on any impact and not wait for a terminal impact to custon you dead body.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #7 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Garage
it's top rated in the US. what does that tell you about the tests?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 PM

It tells us just like gas millage ratings they can make the number be whatever they want. But in reality never as good as claimed not nearly.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #9 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
it's top rated in the US. what does that tell you about the tests?
It tells you that the other tests are more stringent and consider vehicles of better build quality that aren't available over here, making the outcome lower for the Compass.

It also tells you that the pedestrian rules in UK are probably too strict!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
It tells you that the other tests are more stringent and consider vehicles of better build quality that aren't available over here, making the outcome lower for the Compass.
not neccessarily. they just test different things, and in different environments. for example, they turned the active head restraints off. how can you test a vehicle for safety and turn off the accident response systems?
post #11 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Rok

Garage
I found this interesting if not a little ironic.
True story: Right after purchasing our new Compass last month, we informed our insurance company of the new Compass and removed our old 07 Chevy HHR from the policy.
Our insurance premium went DOWN. Not alot but some.
When my wife inquired why newer vehicle (4WD no less) was less to insure, our agent told her it was "beacause the Jeep has a better safety rating than your HHR did".
We were pleased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in