Jeep Compass hits milestone for Belvidere plant - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Post Jeep Compass hits milestone for Belvidere plant

Jeep Compass hits milestone for Belvidere plant

For the first time since it was put into production, the Jeep Compass has became the best selling vehicle of the three assembled at Chrysler’s Belvidere assembly plant.

Thanks to a big April in markets outside North America, the Compass, with 7,170 sales, outsold the Jeep Patriot (6,582) and the Dodge Caliber (5,733).

The Compass, with its more rounded look than traditional Jeeps, has long been the most maligned of the three Belvidere vehicles introduced in 2006. It reached its nadir in September 2009 when just 1,267 were sold worldwide.

But Chrysler Group LLC, now under the management of Italian automaker Fiat SpA, redesigned the 2011 Compass exterior to resemble a smaller version of its popular Jeep Grand Cherokee. The company also beefed up its marketing campaign, launching a commercial calling the small SUV the “evolution of a legendary bloodline.”

The changes seem to be working so far. Although the automotive industry as a whole is on an upswing, Jeep Compass sales worldwide are running 67 percent ahead of 2010’s pace, when Chrysler dealers sold just 35,119 Compasses.

“The redesign is the No. 1 reason you are seeing more interest in the Compass,” said Pierre LaFranca, sales manager of Jack Wolf Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Belvidere. “The customers and our employees call it the ‘Baby Grand’ now because it really does look like a baby Jeep Grand Cherokee.”

The Compass, Patriot and Caliber are scheduled to be phased out in 2012 to make way at the plant for new vehicles built on Fiat architecture.

Nearly 2,400 people work at the Belvidere assembly plant and an additional 1,700 work at supplier operations nearby. Last week, United Auto Workers officials said Chrysler may add a third shift to the plant and another 1,000 workers if demand for the Caliber, Compass and Patriot continues to grow. The company is building a $600 million, more than 500,000-square-foot addition to the landmark plant. When completed, the facility will be more than 4.8 million square feet.

Article Found At: Jeep Compass hits milestone for Belvidere plant - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Garage
I sure hope that Fiat sees this and decides to at least keep the Compass, even if it does drop the Patriot. What is the sense in doing a really nice facelift on a vehicle and just sell it for one or two years, especially if it has started really raking in some dough and creating jobs?

I think the new Compass has the chops to be around for a few more years as the "Baby Grand"

Can I get an "Uh Huh!!!"

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Garage
i'm not surprised. the people that have hated the compass's looks in the past saying it looked too girly have actually come back after the redesign. the compass is flying off the lots right now, followed by the patriot, and we can't give a caliber away to save our life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNightling View Post
I sure hope that Fiat sees this and decides to at least keep the Compass, even if it does drop the Patriot. What is the sense in doing a really nice facelift on a vehicle and just sell it for one or two years, especially if it has started really raking in some dough and creating jobs?

I think the new Compass has the chops to be around for a few more years as the "Baby Grand"

Can I get an "Uh Huh!!!"
don't forget, chrysler has been known to drop vehicles right after a refresh in the past

post #5 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
don't forget, chrysler has been known to drop vehicles right after a refresh in the past

Seriously? A wagon though! Sorry, but there is nothing cool or worth noting about wagon's...

post #6 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Seriously? A wagon though! Sorry, but there is nothing cool or worth noting about wagon's...
really.....nothing?

Last edited by IRSmart; 05-25-2011 at 04:35 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
really.....nothing?

Too bad your link didn't work...

post #8 of 14 Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Too bad your link didn't work...
apparently allpar doesn't allow hotlinking. edited my post
post #9 of 14 Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
apparently allpar doesn't allow hotlinking. edited my post
Eh, you can find that in other vehicles too. Besides, that is inside, not outside where looks matter.

post #10 of 14 Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Eh, you can find that in other vehicles too. Besides, that is inside, not outside where looks matter.
Doesn't matter?? You do realize your on a Jeep forum and not a knitting one!
post #11 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I personally really like the Compass redesign. I know, I know, I can hear the comments already lol, and glad to hear it's finally picking up in sales, but I liked the Magnum's, too, and with the HEMI, it didn't feel like a "wagon."

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #12 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
Doesn't matter?? You do realize your on a Jeep forum and not a knitting one!
I know! I am just giving IRSMart a hard time about the wagon. He is a salesman afterall...

post #13 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I know! I am just giving IRSMart a hard time about the wagon. He is a salesman afterall...
oh.. ok then!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM

Maggies Rock!!!. i like the Face lift Compass 10K times better....Would a never bought an old one, my personal choice is newer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in