Refreshed 2019 Jeep Cherokee is No Longer Ugly and Gets New Turbo Engine - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 37 Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99
Ideally, you would be able to provide more explanation when questioned. Some sort of logical comment, perhaps a link or a reference. For example you say the 'bearings can't take it'. Why can't they?
I think the real problem you are referring to is a group of people are having a discussion online and none of them know what background knowledge the others do or don't have, and they start making assumptions about what the others know.

That is a real problem, but the entire onerous is not on me or any one person to do all the explaining and linking and so on. If I had to explain EVERYTHING to you guys, first off you wouldn't necessarily believe me because I'm just some random guy on the internet who obviously can't know everything, secondly I just don't have the time it would take if we have to go all the way down to explaining how bearings work and why they fail and so on. At that point you are subjecting me to the raw end of Brandolini's Law and its no fun anymore. Sorry, here's a link to that if you aren't familiar with Brandolini: (fixed URL to google search to avoid forum censor) https://www.google.com/search?q=bran...&oq=brandolini

@Tyler-98-W68 what transmission does that red compass have? 4000 RPMs seems too high for just pulling 3500 pounds but if its the CVT then you were crazy to even attempt it in the first place. Also I'm sure having to turn those mud swamper tires did not help in the slightest. I don't know why pulling that load was so high RPMs and so poor gas mileage for you. It would seem the second gens do much better based on my experience with our boat. For both of us though, its only anecdotal evidence, I should point out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-13-2018, 01:12 AM

Garage
I've been driving the 2019 Cherokee FWD for almost a week and here are my 2 cents comparison between the 2nd Gen Compass and the Cherokee.

1. For some reason this base Cherokee comes with HID headlights and LED tail lamps. They are nice. Not sure if this was standard equipment or a weird a-la-cart option the dealer ordered in a base front drive Cherokee but it is certainly better equipment than standard halogen on the Limited Compass.

2. The Cherokee feels more snug on the inside even if it is bigger on the outside. It has less cargo space than the Compass in the back too. (54.9 for the Cherokee vs. 59.8 on the Compass)

3. The Cherokee seating position is higher. With the seat all the way down to the floor, you sit on a perch just higher than the dash panel. This is especially nice when going through a bank ATM. The side window is a lot lower than the Compass.

4. NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) The two are are relatively equal when it comes to noise but the Cherokee is better dampened when it comes to rough roads. The jolt doesn't come through the cabin as much. Somehow the same engine and transmission doesn't feel as harsh either.

5. Personally, I think the Compass looks better than the new re-vised Cherokee and there are less Compass in a sea of Cherokee. At least in my area.

6. The center console of the Compass is useless for storage. It's too small and too oddly shape to fit anything. I ended up putting my RFID parking lot and security keys in the cup holder most of the time. There's also a sunglasses holder in the Cherokee roof liner. It's a very handy storage to have.

What's upsetting me is that you can get a 2019 V6 4WD Cherokee Latitude for the same price as the Compass Limited. I would give up all the toys, the leather seating, smaller view screen and push button start for a V6 any day.
post #33 of 37 Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Thanks JJ. Informative post. I had a Cherokee briefly as a loaner months before I bought my Compass, and I definitely agree about the NVH. My Compass really has a bounce on a rough road like the one I live on. The mud and ruts have now frozen into a primitive form of asphalt so ya better have a lid on your coffee mug! Comparing before I bought my Compass, I really couldn't see a difference in the cargo space and your post bears that out. I even think the Renegade had a tad more cargo space, and I liked that nifty cargo space down below.

There's no place to stash anything in my Compass' front seat area, so I flip the rear seat divider down and use those cup holders. I'm thinking about some sort of organizer to sit on that divider.

What's the Cherokee V6 like on fuel economy? My Compass really impresses me: 31MPG overall so far, and it was higher before winter arrived, plus I've got snow tires on -- they really increased my fuel consumption.

I'm curious. Does the Cherokee make the grinding noise our Compasses make in the 30-50MPG range?
And how about oil consumption? Our Compasses seem to use a lot. Is the Cherokee is any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 12-13-2018, 01:53 AM

I had a Cherokee (Liberty) for many years before having a 2nd gen Compass and my conclusion is that the Compass is a Fiat Toro that looks like a Jeep on the outside. The interior is just an exact copy of the Fiat Toro. The Dashboard is exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 37 Old 12-13-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HernĂ¡n Grimberg View Post
I. The interior is just an exact copy of the Fiat Toro. The Dashboard is exactly the same.

Is it? Just googled fiat toro interior and it doesn't look like anything like Compass. Dashboard is also not same. Location of speed and rev gauges are not the same. And aside from those gauges, cherokee and compass also have the same dashboard.
post #36 of 37 Old 12-13-2018, 03:00 PM

Refreshed 2019 Jeep Cherokee is No Longer Ugly and Gets New Turbo Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Is it? Just googled fiat toro interior and it doesn't look like anything like Compass. Dashboard is also not same. Location of speed and rev gauges are not the same. And aside from those gauges, cherokee and compass also have the same dashboard.

Oh, let me tell you, I was in front of the dashboard of the Fiat Toro and also the owner of it was also impressed seeing the two dashboards and all gauges design were exactly the same. Also the steering wheel, many other details...
This is a Fiat Toro from Brazil the one I saw.

post #37 of 37 Old 12-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I've been driving the 2019 Cherokee FWD for almost a week and here are my 2 cents comparison between the 2nd Gen Compass and the Cherokee.

1. For some reason this base Cherokee comes with HID headlights and LED tail lamps. They are nice. Not sure if this was standard equipment or a weird a-la-cart option the dealer ordered in a base front drive Cherokee but it is certainly better equipment than standard halogen on the Limited Compass.

2. The Cherokee feels more snug on the inside even if it is bigger on the outside. It has less cargo space than the Compass in the back too. (54.9 for the Cherokee vs. 59.8 on the Compass)

3. The Cherokee seating position is higher. With the seat all the way down to the floor, you sit on a perch just higher than the dash panel. This is especially nice when going through a bank ATM. The side window is a lot lower than the Compass.

4. NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) The two are are relatively equal when it comes to noise but the Cherokee is better dampened when it comes to rough roads. The jolt doesn't come through the cabin as much. Somehow the same engine and transmission doesn't feel as harsh either.

5. Personally, I think the Compass looks better than the new re-vised Cherokee and there are less Compass in a sea of Cherokee. At least in my area.

6. The center console of the Compass is useless for storage. It's too small and too oddly shape to fit anything. I ended up putting my RFID parking lot and security keys in the cup holder most of the time. There's also a sunglasses holder in the Cherokee roof liner. It's a very handy storage to have.

What's upsetting me is that you can get a 2019 V6 4WD Cherokee Latitude for the same price as the Compass Limited. I would give up all the toys, the leather seating, smaller view screen and push button start for a V6 any day.

Funny reading this and made a thread about the differences, I would only get the Cherokee if they were a decent price with the V6. Since the Compass and Cherokee are relatively the same I opted for the Compass and saved alot of money. You cant touch a V6 Cherokee around here for less than 30k and thats because there's $5000 worth of rebates right now

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...-cherokee.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in