Anyone notice issues on the body of the compass? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Anyone notice issues on the body of the compass?

Purchased my 2018 Jeep Compass Limited 11/2017 and started to notice the side panels next to the windows on all 4 doors are starting to peel back and there is an obvious gap between the panel and the door itself. I brought it in to get it looked at and the guy at the service department said ďOh Iíve never seen this before.Ē So we ordered parts and made an appointment. After 3 days of being in the shop they returned the car to me. With only 1 panel fixed. What the heck? I call back and another service attendant picks up and tells me that is how the Compass was made. I drove back and checked another 2018 Jeep Compass similar in body style but different in color and it had the same issues too. Why would the manufacturers think that is ok? Why would they want the panels creeping up like that? What is the purpose of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA18EFFC-5798-4D3F-934F-A47B15972D9F_1519668560461.jpg (29.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 5EC6AE98-E165-448C-A4E8-F9D1E6A349C1_1519668581365.jpg (41.1 KB, 119 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 PM

Weird, so far so good with mine. Are you in an area of extreme heat/desert?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Well not constant heat or cold. Iím located in California, where the weather fluctuates with the season. Our highest high is around 110 degrees and our lowest low is maybe 27 degrees. I plan to visit other dealerships to take a look but I am not quit convinced that this is ďnormalĒ. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-01-2018, 10:59 PM

You made me look! I just ran out and looked at mine (built in 10/2017) and it looks ok... Flush with everything except at the very top, it sits out just a hair compared to the chrome trim strip... But no gaps. We're in Michigan, so the temps here fluctuate more than normal. But my Jeep was the showroom display for it's first several months, so it led a sheltered life until I bought it at the end of February. So I panicked and looked at my wife's. Hers was built last November, purchased the same day as mine. Hers are the same as mine, no gaps, BUT one is actually FLUSH with the upper chrome trim strip.
In essence, I would call ours at the least a design issue. Maybe they aren't supposed to be exactly flush. In fact, on mine, the top seems to be rounded over, kind of a transition to the upper trim. But yours looks to be an issue. (And now I'm nervous about summer coming. Lol)
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 04:04 PM

I have this happening on my New Jeep Compass as well. What have you ended up doing?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 05:11 PM

I love it when dealerships give you the "that's how it was designed to be" statement. I could understand if the whole panel wasn't sitting flush, but its odd that it only flexes near the top. Doesn't seem like Jeep paid too much attention to the fit and finish of the Comapss.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I love it when dealerships give you the "that's how it was designed to be" statement. I could understand if the whole panel wasn't sitting flush, but its odd that it only flexes near the top. Doesn't seem like Jeep paid too much attention to the fit and finish of the Comapss.
Not always the case. It's the new heavy production issue. How much adhesive is enough, how much large weather changes , car washes, and stuff have to happen. How soon after applying the adhesive do you need to avoid these changes in temps and so on. I ran into the same thing in my 2013 Ford Fusion. That model was only in production for about 4 months when I got it, I had ordered it so I got it pretty much straight off the truck. Within a month or so one of the panels had started to unstick after a couple really hot days. It's bad, not saying it isn't. But it's typical for a first year model off the line.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM

passenger tail light seems to stick out more than the driver side , just but a 1/4" but enough to notice after months after purchasing .
Any one else? or are we the lucky owners of a unique and collectible compass.

Last edited by Giannina Gutierrez; 07-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Mine has a very slight case of the b pillar trim issue on the rear doors. Not bad though and if I hadn’t seen this thread I probably wouldn’t have even noticed.

I also noticed that the spoiler isn’t flush with the roof on one side. It sits about 4mm lower. It is very solid so I guess fitted incorrectly rather than moving about. I checked photos I took when I picked the car up and it was the same then.

Will ask the dealer to look at both the doors and spoiler when it goes back in for the climate control to be sorted.

Last edited by rriggs; 07-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 PM

I havenít had that problem my doors were out of alignment though
post #11 of 13 Old 08-25-2018, 03:46 PM

No problems with mine to date, seals fit fine. Could it be that mine being RHD was made in India and you guys in the US get ones made in Mexico?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compasseer View Post
No problems with mine to date, seals fit fine. Could it be that mine being RHD was made in India and you guys in the US get ones made in Mexico?
Definitely, India the pinnacle of high quality car building.

Jokes aside,no both factories would use the exact same protocols for building, except for some differences in trim levels/equipment, etc. These issues are so rare compared to the number of cars sold that they are most likely manufacturing errors (like glue gun running low on glue).
84z28 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 AM

Bought mine May 2018, it was mfg 11/17. Same thing is starting to happen with mine, the Latitude.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in