Grinding gear noise - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Grinding gear noise

Has anyone experienced a grinding gear type noise while cruising between 30mph and 40mph? The Jeep is at dealership to address it this, but found no cause as of yet. Headed over to drive manager around to demonstrate it to him. (Grrrrr)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 PM

There are already a lot of threads about this you can find if you use the search.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Good Day all,

I have a 2018 Jeep Compass bought it back in December and for the last 3 months I have been dealing with a loud metal on metal screeching noise coming from my back passenger tire area. I went to my local dealer and they said that it is probably just a rock stuck between the rotor and the flex plate and that there really isn't anything that they can do about that.

The noise only happens when I am going in reverse so i am starting to get skeptical on it being a rock cause if it was a rock it should happen going forward as well. Unfortunately my Local dealership does not treat me very well because i purchase my Jeep in another city and dealership instead of them so they are not really chomping at the bit to figure this out for me.

So not sure if that help any but I figured I would share my similar Grinding Noise issue.

Good luck with your hunt for answers,

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Garage
hello,

Is it a normal noise or not ?? and why only started at 35 mph ? What change at this speed ??
Because if it's not normal, Jeep have to fix it because 90% of Compass 4x4 owner have this issue.
Or it's normal tranny/dif noise like Hemi Tick on Hemi engine.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english
post #5 of 8 Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Steve, jeep has spoken on the 35mph humming sound and declared it is not an indication of any issue, just a normal operating noise. Nothing to be concerned about.

OP: We have spoken on this topic at length in other threads, please try to use the search and post in existing threads when possible to keep fragmentation and repetition down in the forum.

Post -> http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...tml#post133529
post #6 of 8 Old 06-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
thank you,

So ok It's normal

Thank you Jeep
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Just got a brand new one. Less than 100 miles on it. I noticed that noise on my way home from the dealer. Funny thing is my Jeep Commander (traded it in) did the same thing. It had 125,000 miles on it and never caused any issues.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Same happened to me. I took it to my dealer, they told me it was a rock and they found the rock for me, removed it and showed me the rock that was stuck. Someone should be able to find it for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in