Chrysler's Jeep targets 850,000 unit sales by 2014 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Post Chrysler's Jeep targets 850,000 unit sales by 2014

Chrysler's Jeep targets 850,000 unit sales by 2014

Jeep, owned by Chrysler Group LLC, estimates sales will reach 850,000 units by 2014 as it leverages the global distribution network of Chrysler's owner, Fiat SpA (F.MI), to expand into markets where it has previously had little presence, according to a presentation made to industry analysts Wednesday.

The target is slightly higher than one made previously by the iconic brand, which was 800,000 units.

Other targets given at the presentation, made by brand head Michael Manley at a conference hosted by UBS in tandem with the Frankfurt motor show, include sales of 560,000 units in 2011. This target compares with the 419,000 units sold in 2010.

The numbers are included in the presentation posted on Fiat's website.

If Jeep reaches the target set for 2014, it will have surpassed its last annual sales peak of 650,000 units reported between 2007 and 2008--before Chrysler's demise sent sales plummeting to 338,000 two years later.

Jeep has been revitalized by Fiat's gradual acquisition of Chrysler. The Italian automaker has been helping Jeep and other Chrysler brands sell vehicles in markets such as Asia and Latin America in exchange for access to technology. Fiat is also working closely with Chrysler to produce new models that benefit from the strengths of both automakers, sharing parts and platforms to cut costs.

Some of the updated models issued by Jeep include the Compass and Grand Cherokee. Year-to-date sales for these cars have increased by at least 100%, according to the presentation.

Article Found At: Chrysler's Jeep targets 850,000 unit sales by 2014 - MarketWatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 AM

If sales of the compass has increased by 100%, then why are they gunna get rid of it in 2012??? ...... makes no sense.

2010 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4, Natural Green Pearl
Winner of COTM November 2011
Winner of COTM March 2012
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy2010 View Post
If sales of the compass has increased by 100%, then why are they gunna get rid of it in 2012??? ...... makes no sense.
I agree. Car manufacturers make strange decision sometimes. I suspect its being cancelled because of Fiat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Even if it was fiat's decision, if sales are increasing, they are both making money. Who knows... the fiat replacement might fail horribly and they will regret discontinueing the compass.

2010 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4, Natural Green Pearl
Winner of COTM November 2011
Winner of COTM March 2012
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2011, 03:39 AM

Garage
IMO Fiat played a masterstroke with the Compass update, making it more desirable to more people, overcoming the 'feminine Jeep' limitation. I originally wanted a 2009 Compass but went with the Patriot, now I'm glad I waited and swapped to a 2011 Compass.

They knew the Grand Cherokee was the best Jeep for along time, if not ever, and applying that look to a car more people could afford is proving a sure-fire way of finishing off it's lifetime in a positive way. And it's a simple way of making a lot of money by only retooling some of the manufacturing to expand sales and cover the design and development period of the new car - they don't need to keep the Compass going beyond 2012, now they have strengthened the appeal, there will be more interest in it's replacement.

One reason for replacing the Compass (and Patriot) is that it's showing it's age, especially the interior - Fiat will definitely bring it up to date with the new car. Look at Kia Sportage, Ford Edge, Range Rover Evoque etc and you can see they are much more modern and technological.

I said in another thread that I owned a Fiat Bravo before moving to Canada and it was great (although still couldn't compete with Ford Focus, VW Golf etc in sales). Fiat has greatly improved in the last 5 years in Europe, with the 500, Punto and Bravo - but they are good at making small cars - I hope the joint venture that replaces the Compass, Patriot and Bravo will be a good one!

Oh and the best thing is that Fiat also own Ferrari!!!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BeDevil79; 09-18-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in