low highway mpg - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ConcFour

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

low highway mpg

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just registered. I'm wondering if any of you can help me with this?
I have a 2011 compass and wondering if anyone else experiences this phenomenon. All factors being equal, correct tire pressure, using gas from the same station each time, no extra cargo, alignment okay, no A/C, etc. I get about 26-27 MPG in the city (freeway and city streets). But, when I've traveled from Orlando, FL to Savannah, GA the past 3 times my fuel mileage goes down, that's right goes down, to 24-25 MPG. The dealer can't find any codes in the computer or any malfunctioning parts. I've never owned a vehicle that gets lower MPG on the highway than in the city. Has anyone else experienced this or can tell me what might be affecting the highway MPG like this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM

My best hwy is 30MPG Canadian Gallons so thats about the same. You did net detail your power train or millage etc which may be a factor. Head winds are the major hwy factor and/or hilly terrain. These vehicles are not that good considering the weight, engine displacement etc. My big old GC below get 25+ on the highway withing 2MPG in much bigger SUV.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM

How fast are you travelling? I found that the best mpg happens around 50mph - 60mph.
Anything above that the mileage drops off fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 PM

I am doing 110-120Km/hr which is on the 401. Anything slower and its very bad on that hwy. Transports are passing you one after the other amongst everything else. Most know what I mean. Its unnerving to endure a endless flow of transports clipping or appearing to clip you as you cruse at the limit. Not an option in my opinion. However the numbers apply to both vehicles.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Garage
Mine in highway 21.8MPG (110-120km/h).
In lower speeds (100Km/h) consumption is better (23mpg), but is too slow and boring to go on that speed.

I dont know where jeep find the truck consumption is 28 or 30mpg.... imposible,.... maybe going down and with engine off....

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #6 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM

I heard in I believe Market Place or such that in CANADA the manufactures don't do or have to have real world proven test for MPG unlike the USA. They are for one reason or another estimate what you likely to get (guess LOL). A Mitsubishi owner went after them for the same reason. The OEM engineers after going over the vehicle and tuning/replacing everything that might improve it never achieved the advertised MPG. So buy a vehicle in Canada you CANNOT believe what you see on the window. Its not been tested and verified by Canada Transport.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I am doing 110-120Km/hr which is on the 401. Anything slower and its very bad on that hwy. Transports are passing you one after the other amongst everything else. Most know what I mean. Its unnerving to endure a endless flow of transports clipping or appearing to clip you as you cruse at the limit. Not an option in my opinion. However the numbers apply to both vehicles.

I live in a Rural Setting , I'm Retired so it's not a daily commute...My Compass is a 2.0 LT , 2WD Northern Edition..My Combined MPG averages out at 28mpg...It's 2 lane into the City so I keep it at 85/90kph...Now I've been down to the Maritimes with the Compass on several occasions..The Posted speed limit on the TC in New Brunswick is 110kph and 100kph the rest of the way..I set the Cruise at 105kph and only check my mileage after the 1st Tank full has emptied..My mileage heading down East averages out at 34mpg..Considering your destination will take more than one tank to get there, the 2nd tank full your in cruise mode and cruising at a constant speed therefore Better Numbers....Cheers
wojeda likes this.

Enjoy Your Day / Do It Safely
post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 AM

I just drove from Vancouver BC to Edmonton AB.. My best tank did 538 KM with 45.677 liters of fuel...thats driving pretty much 100-105 KM/H...2012 2.4l....works out to 8.49 LHK...or 27.71 MPG

Last edited by boil359; 05-28-2013 at 05:25 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM

In the city the car runs mainly on the battery. When the engine kicks in, it is only for a short time and it shuts off every time you stop for a traffic light. On the road, you are traveling at a higher speed and without many stops, so the engine is running most if not all of the time. Hence lower mpg on the highway.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 AM

municipal water Modular bolted tanks are an attractive solution for many aquaculture requirements including fish farming, shrimp farming, oyster farming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in