Goodbye Compass, welcome Cherokee - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Goodbye Compass, welcome Cherokee

Hey Guys,
After owning a 2009 Compass, 2010 Patriot and a 2012 Compass, it was the time to bite the bullet move to a bigger vehicle.
Baby is on the way, we need a bigger car and the 0.0% interest rate made things really interesting.

So yesterday I went to the dealership to say goodbye to the Compass and bring back home the new Cherokee. So far I only put about 200Km on it, but what is more obvious to tell is that it is indeed a much smother ride and the interior (I still find the exterior quite ugly, but I drive the card from the inside, so I didn't care much) is roomier and much better built and quiet.

I'll still be around in the forum, you guys are really nice and it is at least IMHO an incredible source of information regarding not only the Compass, but automobiles in general.

I'm putting a photo of the cargo tray I kept from the Compass. I ordered directly from Mopar (Item #: 82212646) about a year ago and is in great shape, so if there is anyone from the Toronto area that wants it just send me a message, 40 bucks, cash and carry and I promise to hose it down before delivery. I'm 99% sure it fits the Patriot as well as it fits the Compass (at least at the Mopar website they have the same part number).
Cheers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2904.jpg (59.5 KB, 19 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My wife bought a Fully loaded Active Drive 2 V6 limited. It is wayyy nicer than a Compass could ever dream to be (mind you she paid a lot more for it as well) Sad thing is even with all the work done to my Compass, she can tackle some offroad obstacles bonestock that I have difficulty with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 PM

Enjoy the Grand and it has to be better than the Compass all the way around. I already have one of the boot mats in my 2009 or shall I say my wifes. LOL

I continue to drive on 2002 Grand however and it takes me wherever I want to go.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 AM

compare my 2014 Jeep Compass to my 2001 Grand Cnerokee

Compass Length 175.1 inches Cherokee 181.5 width Compass 71.4 Cherokee 72.3 Compass 3,352 lbs Cherokee 4,031lbs Compass wheelbase 103.7 Cherokee 105.9 inches Compass 2,4L 4 cyl. 172 HP Cherokee 4.7L 8 cyl. 235 HP The Compass resembles the late model Cherokees - I s this why this is the last year for the Compass? [email protected]
post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Good luck with the Cherokee. They should be a lot more durable since they shouldn't be designed on a car platform like the Dodge Calibre which the Compass is re skinned to be different. I would hope the reliability is also better and more serviceable layout under the hood etc.

I had a dealer try and get me to look at them but I don't have the funds to experiment buying and finding out its another fix or repair constantly like the Compass. With the weight and engine HP being more SUV I bet the MPG are a lot better than the smaller/lighter Compass which did not live up to it ratings. Certainly not that much better than my old GC which is a lot heavier as well. On the highway there isn't a big difference as there should be despite all the differences of the true SUV of this WJ GC.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A few of the initial Cherokee's had some issues with the transmission, however the dealership was incredibly good at taking care of us while it was down at the dealership. In fact we were given a grand Cherokee by the dealership for a rental, and since they had it for 3 weeks, Chrysler Canada send us a cheque as a goodwill gesture for $2000 dollars since the issue happened 5 days into ownership.

Yes I was a hassle and inconvenience, however this is my family's 4th Chrysler vehicle, bought from the same dealership and they took care of us like family.

Tripplec i'm sorry to hear of your problems, you must have got a Monday morning Compass, my previous 2008 Patriot had a few things covered under warranty but they were quick easy fixes.

As for the offroad prowess of the Cherokee, my wife's has the same Drivetrain as the Trailhawk (minus the rear locker) and it puts my compass to shame with it being bone stock Oh well, I still like the looks of mine (and I habe more ground clearance)

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 PM

I also had transmission troubles and it over a year to get it resolved, nearly two. Chrysler would not acknowledge the issue and everyone who road with me always commented whats wrong with the car... LOL but Jeep said it was normal and would not authorize any repair which entailed a new CVT unit.

Customer service was horrible for the time I had warranty. Most problems took 4 or more visits to rectify and many parts thrown at it. all the more reason not to reinvest in another vehicle

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 8 Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Congrats on your Cherokee! I was going to buy one the other day but liked the Compass better, go figure. The Cherokee is a nice car, though, great interior.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in