• 1 Post By osagebow
  • 1 Post By osagebow
  • 1 Post By mge
  • 1 Post By osagebow
  • 1 Post By osagebow

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

'12 CVT Overheat

Hi all, we have been happy with our 2012 compass (2.4L) so far for it's first 40,000 miles. Recently went on a long trip with hot weather. CVT overheated both down and back at about 300 miles. Was in left lane and had very little room to get off road, resulting in a terrifying and very unsafe situation. We did stop for a meal about 100 miles before both overheats. Gas mileage was less than 20 MPG. We do this trip once or twice yearly in the summer, so I need problem resolved.
I am taking the vehicle in for service today and have a few questions about what to expect:

-Should I expect a fluid change as it is likely burnt (No dipstick, can't tell)

-If no codes are shown, they obviously won't be able to replicate problem, what should I do in a "Sorry, we dunno" situation.

- Is adding a tranny cooler a common COVERED resoution? We have the primo allstate warranty

- Are these trannies being replaced, updared, etc..
Thank you all for your time and replies!
ranger1911 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Sorry mods, should have put this in garage forum, my bad. Anyway, dealer said nothing was wrong or burnt, but I asked for a free servicing anyway as an Olive branch for my harrowing experience, and to protect the tranny from future overheats. I also inquired about an additional tranny cooler as another option to resolve the issue. Thoughts?
I will keep you all posted on what dealer says.
OBow
ranger1911 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I was basically told "Sorry but the owner's manual says that happens...Good day"
ranger1911 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2015, 12:46 AM
mge

Garage
We have a 2013 4x4 Latitude. Occasionally, when driving,mostly at highway speeds, the RPM goes and the speed goes down and the temperature idiot light goes on. We pull off to the side of the road, shut off the car and start it back up and runs fine. Or seems too.

Are these your symptons?
ranger1911 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-24-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Yep, I don't see how this is not a recallable safety issue. We almost had a tractor trailer hit us as we went from 75.to 40. We also were forced to stop on the left hand side. On the way home, it did it again. It is obviously something they know happens frequently because there is a page in the manual about it. Dealer and customer service both said nothing would be done to remedy this. I asked for comped tranny service for my time and trouble, and was refused. Does any one know if this model HAS a tranny cooler, or is this one just substandard? New to CVT's, and never had a tranny overheat, and I've drove some real clunkers in my time.
ranger1911 likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Each stop required 30-40 minutes to cool down. Shutting off or putting it I'm neutral did not work.
ranger1911 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in