2014 Compass extemely bad mileage - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

2014 Compass extemely bad mileage

I hope that this site can provide as much help for me in troubleshooting my Jeep Compass 4WD with the 2.4l engine as the Charger Forum helped me with my Dodge Charger Hemi AWD.

I bought this car used June 5 and have noticed that the gas mileage is terrible. The car seems to be running a bit rough although there is no CEL and I replaced the spark plugs two weeks ago. I drove the car this evening and in 54 miles at 60 mph the car seemed to use almost a quarter of a tank of gas or about 3.25 gallons of fuel. This would equate to a mileage of about 16 or so mpg. The car at 60 mph was at 2000 rpm and I checked with the autostick and it was in sixth gear. I do have the six speed automatic and the car is a 4wd. The car should be getting over 22 mpg so I am confused why the mileage is so bad. I will say that the car had about 21000 miles on it when I bought it from a dealer and it now has bout 29500 miles.

I notice that the car compared to my Dodge Charger which is much heavier seems like the brakes are on or that it is dragging an anchor. If I put the car in neutral it seems to coast OK. I will say that in changing a flat tire on the rear passenger side two weeks ago I could not get the wheel off the car. Tried to use a heavy rubber mallet to no avail and then a neighbor with a pry bar helped me get the wheel loose. We did notice the wheel was rusted to the hub and that the center spindle and nuts looked all muddy and rusty. Almost like the car had been in a flood. The next day I pulled the other three wheels which came off a bit easier but also seemed to be rusted to the hubs. I put some grease on the hub at the contact points when I replaced the wheels. I run 40 psi in the tires so the poor mileage is not due to underinflated tires.

My Dodge Charger AWD R/T with the 5.7 l engine gets about 28 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. The Charger has the MDS which puts the car into 4 cylinder mode on the highway and it also has the VVT system. The Charger weighs in at a hefty 4500 lbs without me in the car, and I would say with me and the stuff in the trunk the charger weighs in at over 5000 lbs.

I know that the CEL's on these car sometimes defy logic. They seem to come on over some things and not at other symptoms. I would think if I have a problem with the Oxygen Sensor or the a stuck rich fuel injector the CEL would light. However, I did have a PT Cruiser Turbo years ago that had a stuck fuel injector and it took the Dealership about two weeks to identify the injector as the problem why the car was running so rough with no power.

I am wondering if this car was in fact a flood car and has problems with the transmission and differentials as a result. I know that when the wheels were off on the front all the bolts including those on the sway bars and the struts are extremely rusted. For a car that had such low mileage I could not figure out what is going on. I know my neighbor that was helping me and has worked on cars for years said he never ever saw anything like we dealt with trying to get that rear wheel off the hub.

I appreciate if anyone can help as this mileage is killing me. The Dealer soaked me about 24000 dollars for the car and if I trade it in I will get about 15000 dollars with the payoff on the car of 26000 dollars. In eed to either solve the problem or trade it in. I wonder if Car Fax would help me see the history of this car.. where it was from. I live in Central NJ and bought the car from the Jeep Dealer on Rt 9 in Freehold NJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015, 01:07 PM

That sucks to say the least and unfortunately you're not alone on this. I have the same setup as you and average ~ 23 mpg but if I baby it I can get to 26. By baby it I mean not going over 65 mph and being very light on the gas pedal. It seems more like bad engineering or a part/sensor that must be causing this because those that have an excessive mileage issue like you never seem to find the cause. Hopefully someone smarter than me can point you in the right direction. And yes, I also notice that feeling like the brake is dragging just a bit so you can check that one of your problem list.

On a side note I'm pretty sure I'll be trading mine in by next summer. All that being said I must admit my Compass handles like a champ in the snow with the Goodyear SR/A tires that came with it.

2014 Granite FDI 2.4L 4x4 Jeep Compass Lattitude
Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information BubbaKen... I would be thrilled to be getting 23 mpg at this point. Like you said the car does handle fairly well, although it is no Charger R/T with the Hemi. It does drive me crazy that my other car gets better gas mileage with a heavier car and a larger motor.. go figure.

I read that there is a Lemmon Law in NJ and that if you bring the car in under Warranty and they do not fix it in a reasonalble amount of time then they have to replace the car. I think there is something major wrong like you said with a sensor, an injector or in the Transmisson or differential. The thing that drives me crazy is if I am driving it and I put the car in Neutral it coasts along fine.. but throw it back into drive and the car is doing like an engine brake. I often for fun just to listen to the exhaust of my Hemi will use the Autostick to brake the car and have it Vroom Vroom Vroom.. down.. Ha ha ha. However this car is no where near the performance level of my Charger.

I hope someone can shed some light on this as I don't want to start replacing parts.. the CEL is supposed to identify problems so you are not shooting in the dark like back in the good old days of the sixties and seventies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Something is definitely wrong mileage wise. That dragging you feel though is just engine braking, its even more pronounced on the CVT versions. Its a long shot but the vehicle may be out of alignment and that can cause a loss of mileage although I don't think that it will cause the drop like you describe. Fuel filter shouldn't need replacing but might be an option as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Tyler-98-W68. Could be the alignment... Have to have my roommate make a service appointment and drop the car off for them to look at. The trans is the 6 cyl tans and yes, it is really doing the engine braking thing for sure. I know my Charger does it when I am in Sport Mode but not to the extent that this car does it. The Charger just seems very loose and wants to keep going... unless you depress the brake pedal then the engine braking will begin.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:06 AM

My alignment was off, and I had it corrected, still cannot crack 25 mpg with 2012 cvt 2.4L. Most highway is 20-23mpg
Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Do you have the FDII option, if you do they don't get as good of mileage vs the other models?

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Old 08-22-2015, 01:08 AM
mge

Garage
I have a 2013 FDII. The mileage does suck. I typically get 17-18 in city driving, and I don't baby it. On the highway, the best I have ever gotten was 24.5 . When I bought the car last April, it had been severely neglected. I had new front suspension and alignment and that helped my city mileage by about two MPG.

Just had new wheel bearings, tune up, air filter and it seems to run much better, but haven't checked mileage yet.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM

If it turns out you think the problem is in the engine, Take it to a local dyno shop. They can do a pull and record the air/fuel ratio throughout the RPM range. It would show if you have a "rich" condition at certain RPM's.

Other thoughts...

restricted air intake
restricted exhaust "cat"
weak spark on a cylinder
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM

These engines aren't the best in efficiency but certainly seems low. I know the Chrysler made rear calipers are known for having hanging pistons. They drag on the rotors wearing out the pads early. One side will be gone long before the other. Check that as its a visual inspection. Their rotors also rust a lot (I had to clean my faces with a grinding disc) the pads have a small contact area and the rest of the area builds up with rust a lot.

You over paid for this but they should fix part of it especially brakes if they weren't 100% as it should be a safety inspection on them working as designed.

Good luck but it will not equal the mph of the other Charger. LOL Pitiful engineering across the years. Parts failure have been a big problem with the Compass. I am more than half way to a new car now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Old 10-16-2015, 01:08 PM

It gets better over time... I thought the same thing when I bought my 14 compass (2.4l w/ 6speed )... after about 5-8k miles, I started to see better gas mileage. I would set the tripometer every fill up... I'm averaging around 290-325miles per tank.. mind you, I never let it run on fumes either. Get a K&N or at least lessen the airbox restriction.. it helps a little bit.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:57 PM

I am averaging 26 MPG combined while trying to be light on the gas pedal. Its a 2015 4x4 latitude, 6 spd auto. I keep the tires pumped up and hope for further improvements with the addition of a K&N filter and synthetic oil next spring. As it gets cold I'm sure mileage will drop quite a bit due to cold drive train fluids and rich fuel conditions.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

My highway mileage

K&N Intake and exhaust help, pretty good considering all my mods.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Old 10-21-2015, 05:05 AM

Garage
that's what I get the first quarter tank I get about 70-80 then the 2nd quarter about 150-160 and 3rd and 4th finsh arount 240-250 around 17-18mpg in town driving and on road trips I get about 290-310 miles 22-23mpg but I got way bigger size tires the RRO lift and the Roof Basket I build my self its not light lol
Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 PM

all stock my wifes 07 gets 24mpg hand calc'd mixed highway and city (running on regular)

16 mpg sounds too low but run an entire tank or two and get an average fuel mileage for a broader time span. Dont go by the lie-o-meter in the car either (dont think you were, just saying)

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in