Find Fingerprints Inside Dashboard - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Find Fingerprints Inside Dashboard

I have bought my first vehicle last week, it's a Jeep Compass 2016, and I'm very excited. My dealer keep emphasizing that is a brand new car when I was negotiating with him. However, the production tag indicates the manufacture date is at January 12, 2016 and the vehicle already came up with 396 km in odometer. Recently, I have found there are massive fingerprints show up on the top of the dashboard (INSIDE the plastic glass), when I look it at different angles under the sunlight. This brings my concerns and doubts, because there should not have any "trace" (fingerprints) left inside a sealed dashboard as a brand new vehicle. The dealership was not able to provide me a reasonable explanation or solution. Right now, I'm not sure what should do and I don't know what're the consequences which I could be taken in the future if the change or tampering on odometer were proved.

I'd love to hear some comments, ideas from you guys. At the same time, I also want to share this strange experience with you guys. It actually just happened on my new jeep compass as you can see from the pics here...

Google Drive link
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxJjhWwGkjxmWkxfZ0pVREhPM0k?usp=sharing

Last edited by JPcompass; 01-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
It could be one they used as a loaner or a test drive vehicle. I bought mine with 1000 miles on it, and they sold it as brand new. When I put up a complaint about the miles, I was told that in my state, they could sell with 5000 miles as a new car. They wound up giving me another discount, which made me happy.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-05-2017, 03:20 PM

I would be pretty livid. But it sounds like exactly what @Stringplucker is saying. I would even try calling Jeep customer service directly and asking them what it's all about and see what they tell you. The dealer may give you some phony excuses but calling "head office" may prove to be more useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Likely as above, used to demo to some in test drives and/or dirty mechanic doing something. You could check to see if it had been previously registered to anyone. Otherwise it was still theirs and used obviously for some purpose even by a sales rep for a while then they switch to another before the miles get too high.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Garage
I converted 392KM to miles and it comes to 243 miles. I stand by my possible explanation. I would take it back to the dealer and demand a complete detailing job on their dime. Make them pay for it to be fully cleaned to make it right.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

post #6 of 17 Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 PM

Yeah it doesn't sound like they cleaned/prepped the vehicle prior to you picking it up.
Stringplucker is right if you have the time and speak to the manager in advance so he can escalate it to be done while you wait if you want to!!!
Stringplucker likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 17 Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM

How does one even leave fingerprints inside a sealed dash? Demand to have it detailed at the very least so you're not looking at the fingerprints constantly.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 AM

I think a lot of companies do the same thing and not much that customers can do except to bang the tables a little and ask for a little discount or cash back for those miles. Just make sure that your insurance and your loan is all in order when you're going through with the sale though. As long as those are through, you should be ok.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Any update on this @JPcompass ?? I'm actually quite interested to hear how this ended up..
post #10 of 17 Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM

I'm interested as well, morose if the dealership can remove the cluster cover to clean out the fingerprints.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-17-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi everybody, thanks for your concerning !

On January 4th 2017, I went to the dealership, and tell them my concern about the issue that why fingerprints are existing inside the dashboard as a "brand new" car when I bought from them.

At first, my dealer confirmed this issue, then he introduced me to a Service Manager.

As that Service Manager confirmed again and explained to me, one of the possible situation is that the assemblers on production line could left their fingerprints there when they were assembling the parts in dashboard. However, he said he will need send a email to Chrysler to ask them how did it happen and solutions.

I think this probably the easiest way to solve the problem, as compare to have the identification from other organizations. Today, I am still waiting for the official explanation for 12 days.

At right now, I receipt a email from my dealer to suggest that they can help me to clean up the fingerprints. I think they are still trying to sidestep the core of this issue.

Meanwhile, I also considering to seek help from some organizations, such as VSA(Vehicle Sales Authority BC), that is probably the first option.

To be continue,,,
post #12 of 17 Old 01-17-2017, 03:22 PM

So why is it that only yours has all the fingerprints and such high mileage compared to the rest of them ?! I would contact VSA just to receive proper explanation and potentially justice. If they're just going to tell you "We'll detail it for free", I don't feel like that's accomplishing anything.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-17-2017, 03:47 PM

OK I may have not understood initially. It is under or inside the plastic dash face covering. Well that very odd. They are closed by the maker of the dash. I had mine replaced 2 times under warranty but never had finger prints on or in it. Hmmm

If you're ok with the vehicle you could request it be replaced I suppose. Tough call but they should have noticed it in the pre check.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #14 of 17 Old 01-18-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Compare with essence of this issue, the physical fingerprints are a smaller problem. I do care about the response from Chrysler regards to this issue?!
I can ensure there were something happened on this car before I bought it, but I do not know what was happened exactly? I can not predict what are the potential issues that might against the laws are hidden in this vehicle. It turns out that I have to bear the consequence, if say this issue were detected in future.
("Odometer fraud" is illegal in Canada!)

I think there are 3 possibilities could give rise to this issue:

1) The people on the manufacture line left fingerprints there (However, I have been waiting for a official response for 13 days till now, and I do not believe that is possible.)
2) It has been repaired before transaction (I have inquired this car's service history in dealership service system---No Record). Dealership promises that the car has never been repaired, and this item is added in the agreement under my strong urging.
3) Odometer fraud (not sure tho)

I remember that the dealer was keeping emphasizing that the car is a brand new car, when we were negotiating before the transaction happened. So I accepted that 396km milage with my trust and I also believe their honesty on business at that time.

Last edited by JPcompass; 01-18-2017 at 11:02 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 PM

At that time..

All of this sounds real sketchy man. I would contact them again, keep following up so they know you're serious. There's no reason it should take that long.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks "NorthStar", I agree with you.

And I got its Carproof, a part as below:

Date________Location_______ source_________________Type of Record______Detail
12/24/2016 British Columbia, Canada Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration Records Registered/Renewed
03/23/2017 British Columbia, Canada Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration Records Registration Expired

However, I get some questions from those lists
1)what means by "registration/Renewed" in the end of first row of record?
2)why does "Renewed" in record?
3)So does it mean the vehicle has been registered before my registration?

I really appreciate your guys' help and patience~

Last edited by JPcompass; 01-20-2017 at 08:37 AM.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Ask the licensing office. No location as there is no signature.

I can guess its a Yes but still a guess as I am no expert.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in