Traction/Skid Control Malfunction? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Traction/Skid Control Malfunction?

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass. I don't normally drive it as my father in law drives it.

I drove it tonight in slippery conditions (snow) and the rear feels like it wants to come around on me. My FIL says it does this in rainy conditions as well.

It'd almost like traction/skid control is malfunctioning and is applying the brakes when it shouldn't be. I tried turning off the ESP but it didn't seem to help. Is there a way to disable it to verify whether it is the traction/skid control acting up?

A couple of times it got so bad I thought we were gonna go off the road.

Ideas and thoughts as to what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM

If your ESC light is off normally then it should be working if you see it in slippery situatioins. Wheel speed and steering wheel direction will trigger the ESC and lights come on when active and go off. Even momentarily as required.

There is a way to turn it off, documented here long ago. I don't recall where or how we (older forum members came by it). You could seatch, but it maybe something like holding the ESC OFF in for 10 or more seconds. It does work on 2009 as I tested it back then but never had the need to use it in that mode. If engaged it will always appear even after engine goes off then on again.

As far as the rear coming around its also alot to do with tires and what you are actually doing.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Well as i said above. A little searching and it was posted/discussed in 2010 a while back yes but thats why new people need to use search as well.

Having located it I am posting it below.

If you want to read the discussion and turn on details posted by others as well explain things then go through this thread. http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ol-lights.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ESC Disable.jpg (20.1 KB, 3 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 01-06-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added link to post for more details!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the link. I'll read through that thread.

What perplexes me about the whole issue, is it does it in conditions that I wouldnt expect are that slick.

It's hard to explain but it's very unnerving when it does it.

No lights are coming on when it does it.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 PM

Well if you had front end work done it could explain it. This is in the forum from me as well.

Your steering wheel must be pretty much level when driving straight. EG 3 & 9 oclock. If you find on a norma street you have it **** eyed to 2 & 8 or the other way to drive straight (occurs when tie rod ends are changed) then the ESC computer will think you're in a skid or similar and work to correct it for you. A simple slow drive down the center of a street or highway will show this. The two dash lights will come on all the time if this is the case as well. It took me a while to figure it out longer to fix it since its trial and error re adjusting the tie rod ends in/out to get it back to normal.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Well if you had front end work done it could explain it. This is in the forum from me as well.

Your steering wheel must be pretty much level when driving straight. EG 3 & 9 oclock. If you find on a norma street you have it **** eyed to 2 & 8 or the other way to drive straight (occurs when tie rod ends are changed) then the ESC computer will think you're in a skid or similar and work to correct it for you. A simple slow drive down the center of a street or highway will show this. The two dash lights will come on all the time if this is the case as well. It took me a while to figure it out longer to fix it since its trial and error re adjusting the tie rod ends in/out to get it back to normal.

We've never had any work done, but the steering wheel is centered when driving. I'll keep this in mind as I try to trouble shoot this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM

If the lights haven't come on while driving its not active or rather triggered to work. But the lights do come on when starting the engine as part of diagnostics. Its quite possible you have a wheel sensor rusted out or broken which is common enough on these. Have it scanned for codes. There should be something if there is no mechanical or braking problem.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in