Just Purchased a 2007 Jeep Compass :O - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Just Purchased a 2007 Jeep Compass :O

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and had a few questions about my 2007 Jeep Compass. So I recently purchased a 2007 Jeep Compass on an impulse buy. I was looking for a vehicle that was bigger and safer in winter for my wife and our newborn (compared to a 2001 Saturn SL2).

About the Compass.
It is 4wd, has 80k miles, clean title, and the exterior and interior are in excellent almost perfect shape (that's what kind of tricked me). Unfortunately, I know nothing about cars and just thought if it looked this nice it must have been maintained. :/
Upon taking it to a mechanic I was told it has a some mechanical issues. I was told these issues NEED to be taken care of: front struts, stabilizer links, left front axle shaft, transmission service (fluid, filter), and very likely new tires before winter. It had new breaks, and a new cross-member, and the bottom looks to be recently rust proofed. There is other maintenance on it but they were uneven (one side has been replaced on something but not the other).

My question is.... did I screw myself and buy a crappy vehicle with too many issues and problems? Or are these regular fixes that are worth the 2,000 dollar investment? Does it sound like a vehicle I could use and maintain for a while? Should I just try and sell it and take the hit?

What are the thought from the more educated world of the 2007 Jeep Compass...

Thanks
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Do you need to replace the left front axle shaft too? Since you've purchased the car already, my only suggestion is to make the best of what you have unless you can sell it for the same amount you bought it for.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2017, 12:06 PM

Buying a used vehicle involves some risk. A detailed inspection before buying is very helpful, that costs money but may pay off. But as long as you don't pay more than wholesale value you can always just resell it fairly easily. Not sure where you are located but VMR Canada shows your Compass as worth $4,000 to $4,500 (Canadian).
Personally if I bought any 11 or 12 year old vehicle with 80,000 miles I would expect to do things like replace suspension parts, change fluid and filters etc. As for the Compass, it is a first model year vehicle of a completely new design, from a 3rd rate manufacturer, so it is riskier than most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
You're going to have parts that need replaced on almost any used vehicle. I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber (same as the Compass) for my daughter for $1300 (high highway miles) and dropped another $1700 in suspension work, tires, and a few other odds and ends. She's been putting 1500 miles per month on the car, and it's still going strong.

I would suggest checking the recalls on it and making sure all of them have been performed.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in