Noice/Vibration Under Right Side in Morning - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Noice/Vibration Under Right Side in Morning

HI I have a 2017 Jeep Compass Sport with 20500 miles on it. I noticed lately when I come to work after driving it only 2-3 miles when I get to work the idle of the motor has vibration under
the right passenger seat (maybe closer to the dash) - when I rev the motor up it stops but when the motor speed (RPM's) slows to Idle you can hear the vibration or sound. When I leave work or when the car gets warm I can't get the sound to be made again - it just seems to be be on mornings. I keep my car in my garage - ( I live in Wisconsin) so its hasn't been even at freezing yet. Just curious if I should to dealership to have them look for something loose or is it the vehicle warming up and it is a normal sound

Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Garage
Let’s try to get more info on the sound. Does it sound like metal vibration? Plastic? Does it sound like It’s thick material or thin? (think tapping on a tin can vs tapping on your hood)

When the sound is present get your head down into the passenger footwell to really try and locate the sound location.

Photographer: “you blinked”

Me: “No I didn’t blink...I’m just Asian”
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

It sounds kind of in the exhaust - the rattling or vibratration of the pipe - but I didn't climb under Jeep to look & listen - tomorrow I will try and pinpont it more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-29-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I took it to a garage and had them look underneath - didn't see anything loose except for the muffler fabric touching (folded up on side) the muffler - all muffler seemed tight - To re-describe the sound again: When the car is cold in morning - and it just idles - the RPM's of the motor make the rattle sound - when I give it gas it quits but then the motor goes to idle and then the rattle-hum occurs. maybe its something with the motor mount or something - going to be hard to pinpoint when I wanted the 2 mechanics to listen for it - it didn't do it !! I just thought another compass owner had this symptom - maybe i will just have to live with it.. Thanks
post #5 of 10 Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 PM

I've had an issue with a weird sound comes out of my hood, because of the loosening of the engine belt. However, it doesn't seem like a similar situation in terms of sound. Maybe you should try to go the other car shop to see what they think, it's always good to hear a few opinions.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-30-2017, 02:36 PM

Any chance you could snag a video of it? I know its kind of a pain to record these things but then you would have something to show the dealership (and us couch mechanics).

Some tips for this type of video:

- Try to record when there is the least amount of extra sound pollution around you from wind or highway noise etc.
- Try recording the sound at multiple distances, its hard to know at what point it will become clearest in a cell phone mic so getting a few seconds at 6 feet, then a few more seconds at 3 feet, and then up close, can help a lot to get lucky and find the magic point at which the phone mic picks it up the best.
- Having an assistant helps a lot, they usually end up having to run the camera so you can run the accelerator. Walking them through the shots you want to take BEFORE starting the car and recording can help make a concise video you (maybe) won't need to edit.
- If possible, do the noise video, then stop recording, go drive for 10 minutes or however long it takes for it to warm up and have the noise go away, then record the same shots with a warm engine so people can hear the difference and you can prove there is a distinct difference between warm and cold noise.

- If you bring the videos to show the dealer or a mechanic, bring some headphones because its probably not going to come through your phone speaker worth a crap. Review your clips ahead of time so you can show them the best spots quickly because they don't want to watch 20 minutes of your car running when only about 45 seconds worth of it is needed to get the point across.

-------------

I find this 4 banger to be a rather noisy and rough one as compared to others I have owned, surprisingly a lot of vibration sometimes when idling but oh well.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-05-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I had registered on the Mopar Site - sent a chat session out - they sent me over to service - they made an appointment for me Nov 30th at a Jeep dealership to check it out - its under warranty so that is cool. I live 30 miles away so they will give me a loaner, just have to drive down day before so in the morning they can see if it does it when cold ( i hope it does - so they can see if its an issue or not). I will re-post what they find to let everyone know. Thanks for the advice and tips so far. Dave
post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-2017, 01:07 AM

Garage
The last time I had a similar sound with another car it was the honeycomb in the catalytic converter seperating and falling apart. It was covered under warranty and dealer installed a new cat.

Good luck, I hope they solve/fix it.

Photographer: “you blinked”

Me: “No I didn’t blink...I’m just Asian”
post #9 of 10 Old 12-05-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

So, I took it to the local garage to see if they could find it - no luck. BUT - I went to my local mechanic and hoped it would make the noise when I went there. I found the noise was coming from the hood! It would rattle and that was sound. So, it looks like that needs adjusting somehow - so, when I go down and have my rear door hinge replaced - maybe they can fix the hood Thanks for everyone who tried to help me. Thanks Dave
post #10 of 10 Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

FINAL POST: I just got home from the dealership on my "noise under my hood" - it was my hood! When I took it down I had to have my left passenger door hinge replaced as when it opened it made a "clunk" on opening and closing. I asked them to check the hood and as the mechanic lifted up on the closed hood - he said there is way to much play in hood. So, he was going to tighten it up so it was more closed. I am sure this will eliminate the noise. Funny how something that sounded major - was probably just a wrench tighten away - Thanks Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in