Compass-the $20K junkpile - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By zoner99

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Compass-the $20K junkpile

2014 Jeep Compass, the biggest disappointment that I ever had the displeasure to have purchased. Couldn't even get 50K out of a $20,000 vehicle.. piece of garbage!

19K the bearing in the transmission goes bad, replaced under warranty
22K plastic boot in right front tire torn
30K had to replace the stock tires
35K the rear shocks and struts - SHOT
45K clutch/transmission/fly wheel needs to be rebuilt
48K passenger side headlight intermittently goes out (another lovely Jeep problem they can't fix)
50K the bearing that was replaced at 19K needs to be replaced again

Mind you, this vehicle was 4 years old! I owed $2K on it and was looking at putting at least $3,000 more dollars into it. Never in my life have I had to put any money (other than oil changes) into a car that had less than 50K miles on it.

Jeep should be embarrassed that they produced such a cheap piece of garbage! Thanks to Jeep, this is the LAST american made car I will ever buy again. I ditched this car as fast as I could and purchased a Hyundai with much better quality and better options. I had planned on keeping this car 10 years and thanks to the lack of quality, I now had to go into another car payment which I wasn't anticipating.

Even the garage where I have my vehicle worked on confirms all the Jeep Compass owners experience the same situation.

A class action law suit should be filed against them.

Thanks for NOTHING Jeep. I don't miss any opportunity to tell people I know, who are looking to buy a car, to stay as far far away from Jeep as they possibly can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 PM

Can we just ban this crybaby? He obviously has nothing useful to contribute here.

You are frustrated and having a bad time. Thats too bad but I don't have much sympathy, I am having a great time with my Compass.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2018, 08:21 PM

I considered 2007-2016 the "Dark Years" for Jeep. Anything that wasn't a wrangler/Grand Cherokee wasn't worth the stamp of Jeep.

I've had many problems with my Compass and I'm getting the run around so hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Garage
My 2014 Compass is running well, 100,000 km (62,000 miles) on it, and I use it pretty hard. One CV boot did fail and was replaced under warranty. I've been running large tires and wheels with negative offset which potentially could wear the wheel bearings, but so far not a problem.
I looked at all brands before I bought my Compass. Really, what would you buy instead, without paying more? Depends on what your needs are I suppose, I wasn't looking for an off-road vehicle but what I call 'severe condition capabilities' are important to me. Something like a GMC Terrain sells for about the same as a Compass in my area, but look at the specs for a 2014 Terrain. Ground clearance in particular, but also approach and departure angles.
asakaze and arudlang like this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM

"I'm never buying ANY american car ever again because of one bad experience". Yeah, OK troll. I drove a 2016 Compass for two months as a rental. It had quirks that made me scratch my head as to what the designers were thinking, but otherwise did it's job. I have a 2018 Compass Trailhawk, which is exponentially better than the old one, and am loving every minute of it. I've also had GM and Ford products with few to no issues. Take care of stuff and it'll last. If a common problem crops up, take a bit of time to research a way to bulletproof a fix.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Garage
just bringing back a dead thread......mind you im the one that convinced my wife to buy ours (2016 Compass sport 4x4)....shes still not a huge fan but i like the simplicity of it.

9K miles, went to dealer twice for brakes squeaking when backing up...still does it but until its time to change em we can live with it

15k miles...AC system clogged, all the condensation was spilling into the car...deal drained it all not, not before dumping a gallon on the floor lol..no issues since

23k miles...steering wheeling making squeeking sounds when turning, bring it in and they replaced the clock spring insde.

All in all its cost me nothing so far because its under warranty.A see some weak quality control but overall a nice simple small SUV that does its job. i paid 18K for a sport 4x4 in 2016 so im not complaining there at all lol

2016 Compass Sport 4x4
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
I considered 2007-2016 the "Dark Years" for Jeep. Anything that wasn't a wrangler/Grand Cherokee wasn't worth the stamp of Jeep.
I beg to differ. I consider my 2008 Patriot (sister to the Compass) the best vehicle I've ever owned. I admit I replaced two trannies, but they were under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime. First actual repair (wiring issue) was just north of 200,000 and considering it was my first repair I didn't begrudge putting out the money for it. I sold it to a friend at 285,000 miles and its still on the road. Only reason I sold it was I spend so much time away from home that I didn't want to have problems on the road.

My Wife has a 2014 Patriot with 110,000 miles and so far no problems at all.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Garage
I had a pretty good luck with my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It never rattle or squeak. The only time I took it to the dealer was for oil changes. That's why I considered the 2018 Compass Limited in the first place but I was horribly disappointed. I've taken it to the dealership for nuisance services and I never even had the first oil change yet. I eventually gotten so tired of it and traded it in 4 months later.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I had a pretty good luck with my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It never rattle or squeak. The only time I took it to the dealer was for oil changes. That's why I considered the 2018 Compass Limited in the first place but I was horribly disappointed. I've taken it to the dealership for nuisance services and I never even had the first oil change yet. I eventually gotten so tired of it and traded it in 4 months later.
I had a '93 Cherokee that I bought new but traded in about six months. Even though it was under warranty I was just spending too much time in the repair shop. I was a sales/service rep on the road and the car was my rolling office, repair shop and delivery vehicle. It it wasn't working, neither was I, so I couldn't afford to keep it.

If my Wife wasn't so happy with a couple Wranglers I never would have gone back to Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in