Daystar Lift Kit for 18 Trailhawk, anybody have it? - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 41 Old 08-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
Have you ever pondered that the subframe in the front doesnt need to be dropped and a spacer added as there is no need to since you can do it with just the spacer for the strut eliminating extra and unneeded cost. Since you're still just moving the body up then this is still not a problem and again the only reason that you have to cut the strut is because the kit comes with quick disconnect links in which you can disconnect them for off road situations where you want more body roll and articulation for off road. The strut will never come in contact with any other components in normal operations with the link attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Well I'm not trying to piss you off I know I'm not articulating what I mean very well through the text, I'm just saying if there are no spacers for the front subframe and the engine and transmission are mounted to that subframe, then the engine and the transmission don't move from their original location, so the spot where the axles come out of the transmission is the same, yes? And then you put spacers on the front struts so they move down relative to the body and the transmission and the front axles have to follow that so... ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
Those new mustangs are slick as hell, out of the big 3 I'd only buy one of those new even though I own a camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post

Here's a quick pic of the money pit! LOL
bluestar likes this.
post #33 of 41 Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28
Have you ever pondered that the subframe in the front doesnt need to be dropped
Well I think it really depends on how much of a spacer you are adding to the struts. The taller spacer you put on the struts (without changing anything else) the more angle the CV axles have to run at (all the time) to get "down" to where you have pushed the wheels from the body. For a 1 inch, or 1.5 inch, even a 1 & 5/8" I don't think its any problem. Bilstein currently makes a set of replacement struts for the Renegade that are 1" longer than stock that provides the same overall effect (I'm hoping they will come out with those for the Compass soon, its a way better route than spacers).

Now I think once you get to a 2" spacer, you've likely reached or started to exceed the limit of how much extra angle you can add to the CV axles and still expect any kind of longevity from them. Harsher angles cause CV joints to wear faster, this is really well known and I don't need to explain why because you can google it really easily.

You can also "preview" the effect really easily at home. Take your floor jack and a tape measure, go look at the current angle of the front CVs and keep that angle in your head, now use your jack to lift on the subframe about 2 inches. Now look at the axle again and note the increased angle. This is the extra angle you will have forced it to run at all the time on the road. This is an angle that is not the angle the engineers intended for it to run at and meet its longevity goals. Crank the jack up some more if you want to see the effect exaggerated.

A little bit probably won't make a huge difference. 2+ inches, it might, and that's all I'm saying. You should be conscious of the potential side effects of this. Replacing CVs isn't a huge deal, kinda spendy, might be worth it, its just something to be aware of.

If and when Bilstein releases the 1" longer struts for the Compass, I think that would be the best and most ideal route. No goofy spacers to create a new point for issues to occur between the body and strut contact. The Renegade folks say it fixes the clearance issue at the bottom of the strut tower. Rear diff stays in its original tucked up location. You end up maxing out at the same 29" tire no matter what, so who cars about the difference of 1" or 2"? (Thats a good setup for a joke right there...)

You have to do the crazy 4" lift to get into 30" tire land so, might as well play it slightly safer (in my opinion) and stick to around 1", hopefully gained from strut length.

But like I always say, its a free country so anybody who wants to jam those spacers in I say have fun!
bluestar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
Once you realize the wheels are static and you're put a spacer on top of the strut to move the body up youll be alright

Quote:
Well I think it really depends on how much of a spacer you are adding to the struts. The taller spacer you put on the struts (without changing anything else) the more angle the CV axles have to run at (all the time) to get "down" to where you have pushed the wheels from the body. For a 1 inch, or 1.5 inch, even a 1 & 5/8" I don't think its any problem. Bilstein currently makes a set of replacement struts for the Renegade that are 1" longer than stock that provides the same overall effect (I'm hoping they will come out with those for the Compass soon, its a way better route than spacers).

Now I think once you get to a 2" spacer, you've likely reached or started to exceed the limit of how much extra angle you can add to the CV axles and still expect any kind of longevity from them. Harsher angles cause CV joints to wear faster, this is really well known and I don't need to explain why because you can google it really easily.

You can also "preview" the effect really easily at home. Take your floor jack and a tape measure, go look at the current angle of the front CVs and keep that angle in your head, now use your jack to lift on the subframe about 2 inches. Now look at the axle again and note the increased angle. This is the extra angle you will have forced it to run at all the time on the road. This is an angle that is not the angle the engineers intended for it to run at and meet its longevity goals. Crank the jack up some more if you want to see the effect exaggerated.

A little bit probably won't make a huge difference. 2+ inches, it might, and that's all I'm saying. You should be conscious of the potential side effects of this. Replacing CVs isn't a huge deal, kinda spendy, might be worth it, its just something to be aware of.

If and when Bilstein releases the 1" longer struts for the Compass, I think that would be the best and most ideal route. No goofy spacers to create a new point for issues to occur between the body and strut contact. The Renegade folks say it fixes the clearance issue at the bottom of the strut tower. Rear diff stays in its original tucked up location. You end up maxing out at the same 29" tire no matter what, so who cars about the difference of 1" or 2"? (Thats a good setup for a joke right there...)

You have to do the crazy 4" lift to get into 30" tire land so, might as well play it slightly safer (in my opinion) and stick to around 1", hopefully gained from strut length.

But like I always say, its a free country so anybody who wants to jam those spacers in I say have fun!
bluestar likes this.
post #35 of 41 Old 08-26-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Pulled the trigger and bought the Wrangler! Totally different vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190823_143953 (3).jpg (91.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190823_165429 (3).jpg (67.8 KB, 7 views)
84z28 likes this.

2018 JEEP COMPASS TRAILHAWK. KAR light bar with Cree lights, K&N drop in filter, Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Window Tint 20%, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler.
post #36 of 41 Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28
Once you realize the wheels are static and you're put a spacer on top of the strut to move the body up youll be alright
Again, I think you are just getting hung up on the way I am (failing) to describe what I mean, but just because I can't explain it in a way you understand doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I'll try not to use wording like "Pushing the wheels down". Lets try it this way, the body and the wheels are being pushed apart. Yes? We all agree? Whether you look at it as the wheels going down (my view) or the body going up (your view), we can agree that is what is happening because of the spacer.

So once YOU "realize" that the engine and transmission are staying with the body (which, as we said, is moving away from the wheels), you'll understand that the inside ends of the CV axles coming out of the transmission are also moving away from the wheels and this means the angle of the CVs has permanently increased(!)

georgef likes this.
post #37 of 41 Old 08-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Pulled the trigger and bought the Wrangler! Totally different vehicle.
Looks nice! Bummer to see ya go but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
bluestar likes this.
post #38 of 41 Old 08-26-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks nice! Bummer to see ya go but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Thanks! I hope this thread at least offered some insight into installing a lift on the Compass.

2018 JEEP COMPASS TRAILHAWK. KAR light bar with Cree lights, K&N drop in filter, Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Window Tint 20%, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler.
post #39 of 41 Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
Lmfao

Quote:

Last edited by 84z28; 08-26-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #40 of 41 Old 09-04-2019, 11:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescadito_mp View Post
Don't have the Daystar 1.5" lift, but I have the American Trail Products 2" lift. I like the stance and will be looking to upgrade tires as soon as the original Falkens need replacing. I wouldn't pay much mind to what homeboy, arudlang, said. If you want to lift your MP, do it! Throw on the KO2s while you're at it! ...and do it all with a backwards-baseball-cap...that's the only way I drive my Compass. The jeep feels pretty much the same on-road, you just feel a little more like a badass bc you're sitting a little taller.

In terms of off-road, the lift is definitely give you more peace of mind. Comparing my initial off-road trail runs (without the lift) to my more recent ones (with the lift), the lift gives you that extra confidence that you're going to clear rocks and other obstacles that you would otherwise think twice about. And in terms of tires, any upgrade to an all terrain tire is going to automatically increase your off-road capability. Yes, maybe KO2s are a little on the heavy side, but if it's off roading that you're wanting to do, they will definitely be an upgrade from the stock Falkens. So just do you and don't pay attention to the nay-sayers!

If you get a chance, could you please post a pic? Would love to see what it looks like, especially with the 2" kit!

Not so much off roading, but having fun driving through the winter snow. As above mentioned, added Pirelli Scorpion 225/65/17's...Great improvement over the stock Falkens.

So you didn't really notice any major changes in drivability?

Maybe I can wear my baseball cap off to one side, not completely backwards as I have decent tires but no lift! LOL!!!
Don’t mind the Christmas tree on top. But here’s an image of the compass with the ATP 2.0” lift.

And no, I haven’t noticed any changes in drivability. Still enjoy the vehicle but I’m in agreement with everyone that it lacks power. Have you noticed a loss of power when moving up in tire size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8F5C336-EE94-413F-881B-8ACB9054A635_1567636257850.jpg (58.9 KB, 23 views)

ATP 2.0 Lift Kit
Mopar/Thule Aeroblade cross-bars
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform (Universal Large)
Tactilian Car Flag Magnets
4.5 in Nilight Spot Lights (round)
post #41 of 41 Old 10-25-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you get a chance, could you please post a pic? Would love to see what it looks like, especially with the 2" kit!

Not so much off roading, but having fun driving through the winter snow. As above mentioned, added Pirelli Scorpion 225/65/17's...Great improvement over the stock Falkens.

So you didn't really notice any major changes in drivability?

Maybe I can wear my baseball cap off to one side, not completely backwards as I have decent tires but no lift! LOL!!!
Sorry - been a while since being on the forums. Here are a few pictures of my current set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (61.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (75.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (41.2 KB, 9 views)

ATP 2.0 Lift Kit
Mopar/Thule Aeroblade cross-bars
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform (Universal Large)
Tactilian Car Flag Magnets
4.5 in Nilight Spot Lights (round)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in