Morgan City Flood Pics (Lots of pics) - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Morgan City Flood Pics (Lots of pics)

As some of you might know, we are experiencing record flooding down here in cajun country, much more than I've seen in my years here. Thankfully no damage to me but the water is just now beginning to work it's way here. I have a few pics that I thought I would share and I will try to get more in the next day or two......

An aerial pic and, as you can see, wall to wall water, literally (this pic was not taken by me), Morgan City is on the left, Berwick, LA on the right

This was the original flood inundation map from the Army Corps of Engineers, which the levels have not been that high due to such a prolonged and severe drought

Now some pics from the Morganza Spillway, flood control structure, which has not been opened since 1973 and made inevitable this time with the record levels of the Mississippi river, which would have overtopped the structure had it not been opened, paving the way to flood outlying areas to save New Orleans and Baton Rouge

This was day one and only one bay open at that time

Morganza pics courtesy of the Times-Picayune/NOLA.com

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

More pics

These are some pics a friend of mine took when she was here last October (prayers go out to her as she lives in Joplin, MO, where they there were hit with an EF-5 tornado Sunday)

This wall marks the last three major floods and the level they reached. As you can see, the last one was 1973 and the last time Morganza was opened. My truck would have been submerged.....

These are our flood gates and we are all thankful they are operable

This is the last of the pre-flood pics, but this is the wharf on a nice, low river level day.....

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #3 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Water is rising

I took these pics last Saturday morning, about 6:30 CDT, so the light isn't the best, but the water has risen at least another foot since then so I'll try to get more pics later today.

This used to be a bait shop since so many shrimp boats dock here

This is the Atchafalaya river as it runs through Morgan City

I am standing on top of the sea wall, the water was already up to that wall

To my right in the pic is the top of the flood gate

- Cherokee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

More pics

No parking on the wharf....hmmm, guess that's cause there isn't one....

Streets are still dry on the good side of the levee

Or else I wouldn't be parked here lol

But there is water on the other side. Yes, that is water seeping through, it's designed to do that and there are storm drains right there and it all goes back out

That's all I have for now. I have more pics in my e-mail I still have to get posted and will be taking more today.

- Cherokee

post #5 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Garage
We have had super crazy weather around here too. I live about 60 miles south of Joplin, so we have been dealing with a lot of the same storms. This has been a crazy 6 months or so. I have a picture of the record snow from our front door, 2 pictures of hail damage to a company vehicle while I was driving it, 1 pic of record flooding along a back road I travel to work on, and a pic from when it was super cold and our pipe burst in the laundry room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0049.jpg (21.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0087.jpg (18.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0086.jpg (19.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0089.jpg (27.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0044.jpg (41.2 KB, 11 views)

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

post #6 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

You're right, it really has been a crazy start so far with the weather and wow, I think your pics sum it up pretty nicely, thanks for sharing those and sure hope you didn't get any worse than hail damage with those storms!

- Cherokee

post #7 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 PM

Garage
That company truck is a Chevy Colorado and it has been in about 3 hail storms now, all when I was driving it. You cannot see it in those pictures, but when the huge dent above the windshield happened, it knocked the rear view mirror down and put a huge crack across the top of the windshield!

We have had so much crazy hail around here and it has caused lots of damage. We usually don't get anything like that, but it has been tennis ball and even softball size hail these last few storms. At least it has stayed a little south of where I live, so at work they get it all.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Administrator

Garage
Pretty crazy pictures!! I hope those flood gates keep doing what they are designed to do. Stay safe everyone!
post #9 of 14 Old 06-30-2011, 04:41 AM

Those pictures are unreal. Stay safe!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks guys and as an update, river level is right around 5' where it almost reached 11', so we fared remarkably well. Also, they sunk a barge in a nearby bayou that prevented a lot of the back water flooding, so the only people really affected lived on the unprotected side of the levee, but the water has dropped dramatically and buildings are back on dry ground. The spillway gates are now all closed. Close call but could have been a lot worse.

- Cherokee

Last edited by Cherokee; 06-30-2011 at 06:40 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Garage
Glad to hear all is well. Some very close calls, I'm sure you never want it to come that close again!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

We definitely don't want it that close again and having been in such a severe drought for so long really helped also. Keeping our fingers crossed it's a quiet hurricane season as well!

- Cherokee

post #13 of 14 Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prstsd View Post
Scotland is a very uncharitable country. Come what may, it is blessed with joke of the best gifts pro the later, sources of vitality like claptrap, hydro, waves and tidal in abundance. As per the latest admiration, Scotland has a massive 37 GW of off the wind fart hear of power formation wit, along with 7.5 GW of tidal power. A exceedingly peerless and newly developing start of renewable liveliness in Scotland which is being is white horse energy. The estimate for this start of dash is pegged at here 14 GW. There figures very clearly highlight Scotlandís determination begetting duty in C&F Wind Turbines.
The European Union is one of the biggest consumers of energy globally. Justified to increasing demands representing force, it has had to look for renewable sources to foregather its power requirements. Superabundance of renewable dash in Scotland has emerged as equal of the reasons Scotland is gaining importance clique over. Due to its humongous and luxuriant availability, and artful that terribly inadequate has been exploited so undoubtedly, there is a possibility of much more.
Out of the estimated 35 GW of braggadocio power start on, only 2.5 GW is being actively harnessed at the moment. This is because until the turn of the 21st century, there was no carbon emission and verve paucity fears on the range it is for the present today. Reductions of carbon emissions and extensive warming have suit paramount issues beyond the old times decades. There is also realisation that present resources wishes not form forever and with maturity in third period countries also becoming lightning-fast, there is an to clamorous qualification of development of renewable sources of verve in Scotland especially.
Harnessing the energy of the detectable has become anyone of the crucial moves towards renewable vigour in Scotland. The direction is encouraging large-scale advancement of wind farms across the country. Despite that, measures can be infatuated on a smaller scope also. Small wind turbines are a technology which has come into the portray to implement this requirement. The mini understand turbines mainly can trade mark aga from 7 feet to 25 feet, with power propagation of 3-10 kW. These slight wind turbines are in in the US because of the contribution provided by means of the government. Though they can expenditure a lost initially, small destroy someone's advantage turbines specify savings greater than the want while and conventionally play-act up their cost during the course of 5-10 years.
Renewable energy age group in Scotland is therefore still in its nascent stages and government should accommodate enough incentives to the industry to green light them to harness the to hand capacity and on the other accessible should provided people incentives to opt as young turbine generators.

Hey! Somebody get this guy!

I do like the statement "a massive 37 GW of off the wind fart hear of power"! I wonder if this is what we need to make the Back to the Future Delorean work?

post #14 of 14 Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

LMAO ^^^^!!!! Could be hahaha, either that or my warp drive! The poster has been sent to oblivion, though.

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in