? about gas mileage and ESP - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

? about gas mileage and ESP

I was just wondering if there's anything out there to say if gas consumption changes if you drive with ESP on or off...

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 AM

I don't think this would make any difference.

Mainly because this is a "passive" system that only starts to work and do its business when needed.

Also, you might actually have a lower fuel consumption (compared to turning off the ESP) if you're driving under winter conditions and you spin your wheels often and have a hard time leaving the stop signs. Why ? Because it will keep the wheel spins to a minimum by reducing power to the engine when it detects a wheel spin and will also turn on the 4wd mode and help you start easier from a stop signs thus reducing the amount of time you need to accelerate.

My 2 cents...

RedVortex
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2006, 04:50 AM

By the way, for the ones who haven't read the user's manual. When you just push quickly the ESP button, ESP goes into "Partial ESP", not OFF. If you really want OFF, you need to be in the park position, engine running at then push and hold the ESP button for at least 5 seconds, then it will turn off and it will also show ESP OFF in the dashboard where you usually see your current mileage counter. You can press quickly on the mileage counter to clear the message and go back to your mileage counter.

By the way, don't forget to bring it back on by quickly pressing the ESP button again

Lots of interesting stuff in the manual...

RedVortex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-20-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVortex
By the way, for the ones who haven't read the user's manual. When you just push quickly the ESP button, ESP goes into "Partial ESP", not OFF. If you really want OFF, you need to be in the park position, engine running at then push and hold the ESP button for at least 5 seconds, then it will turn off and it will also show ESP OFF in the dashboard where you usually see your current mileage counter. You can press quickly on the mileage counter to clear the message and go back to your mileage counter.

By the way, don't forget to bring it back on by quickly pressing the ESP button again

Lots of interesting stuff in the manual...

RedVortex
Damn! Now I will have to actually 'read' the manual! I had no idea about all this stuff.
Thanks for the tips!
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

So I tried it, and you're totally correct!

What the 'salesman' told me is totally wrong!

He basically said that you have to turn on the ESP each time you start the car, and it is 'ON' when the light is on, and 'OFF' when the light is off.

Totally the opposite of what is correct!

Thanks again for the insight!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2006, 10:40 PM

hehehe, this salesman didn't know it stuff very well...

ESP is always on until you turn it off (or partially off like I explained)

By the way, we had about 15 cms of snow here yesterday. I went out, turned the ESP completely off (partially wasn't enough to have fun), and engaged the forced 4wd mode and had fun in the parking lot of the shopping mall...

Men that was fun, there was enough snow and engine power that I could do tailspins in the 4wd mode like if I was driving a rear drive truck but had enough front wheel traction to remain in control of the truck.

There's was no way I could do this while ESP was on. And I was barely able to do it in partial off mode. The ESP is really good.

I also had to turn a corner which was very icy the other day, ABS tried getting control of the turn but there was not enough traction to be able to slow down while turning and getting through the corner, so I decided to accelerate a bit instead to let the 4x4 and ESP to its job and guess what, instead of hitting the curb, I was able to make it through the corner, gee that was a close one, I barely made it... This is a situation where snow tires instead of four seasons tires would've made a big difference I'm sure, snow is one thing but ice, there's really no way to get a grip on it without winter tires.

RedVortex
post #7 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

With work schedule, I have not done much other than drive back and forth to work, but I would LOVE to take a day and see what 'Sammy' can do when NOT on good roads!
I must admit that the snowy roads we have encountered so far have been handled with ease!
So far so good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in