gas mileage - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 12-15-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

gas mileage

i have a jeep compass with 1300 kms but not great mileage. when should i experience better mileage during the break in period. what are people getting? i live in saskatchewan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 11:43 PM

Welcome! I'm from Saskatoon, where are you from?

Now that it's cold, you'll get bad mileage until spring. I filled up tonight and I got 20mpg (all city). So far I'm averaging 20mpg city, 27 highway with 6,900 km on my Compass.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Hey, lots of people from Saskatchewan on this forum! Welcome!

I agree with the webmaster...the cold definitely has an effect on the gas mileage. I have about 2500km on mine now. Before winter hit, I averaged 9.5-10 L/100km mixed driving (75% highway/25% city) and now it is closer to 12.5 L/100km. This is according to the EVIC..we hand calculated once and it was close it enough for us so that is all we use now for numbers. We do quite often have it locked in 4x4 now though, if that makes a difference. We find that the way our Compass handles in winter conditions makes up for any extra fuel usage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 AM

I've got mine since last week and I'm running around 12 liters per 100 kilometers.

I live near Montreal, QC in Canada.

Outside temperature has been around 0 to 5 degree celsius.

RedVortex
post #5 of 13 Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 AM
kwc

I'm finding, strangely as it may seem, that I am getting better gas mileage when I am in 4 wheel drive mode than in the standard FWD.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-18-2006, 04:01 AM

Very interesting, in city or highway driving ? I would presume city because the 4wd forced mode (4wd lock mode) only works under 15 km/h from what I read on the jeep's website.

I think I'll try it on my next fill up at the gas station. Should be around monday evening or tuesday evening and I'll post the results around x-mas.

I checked the jeep's website and they say that it is easier on the gas mileage to drive with 4wd lock mode turned off.

RedVortex
post #7 of 13 Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 AM

I have not been all that happy with the gas mileage, but then again, I'm used to the Saturn SC1 which got amazing gas mileage.

I'm getting about 400km's per tankful. With a round trip to work around 90kms, I feel like I am always at the pump!

That of course would also make a big difference. My round trip used to be around 9km's, so I could go a month or so without having to gas up the SaturnSC1....guess it's all relative.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-21-2006, 04:28 AM

I feel the same.

I would've liked either one of those two: bigger tank, or better mileage. For now, this is my second gas fill up and I'm doing about 400 km with a full tank, so around 12.5 liters per 100 km.

Lucky for me, the gas station is just around the corner of my street.

Also, I know the truck is brand new and I'm always driving it as soon as I have the chance to do so. I'll get used to it a bit more and change my driving habits a bit also and in the end, get much closer to what is advertised about the fuel consumption.

I'm not that far from it either, about 15% or so higher than the advertised city driving fuel consumption.

Anyway, it is far less than my Chevrolet Venture's V6 that was eating about 15 or 16 liters per 100 km.

RedVortex
post #9 of 13 Old 12-23-2006, 03:45 AM

Just finished my 3rd tank, got 435Km when the fuel lite come on. I forgot to check how much fuel I filled up with and I'll try to remember to check how much I put in next time. If I am right the tank will hold 51 liters of gas?

Barry
post #10 of 13 Old 12-23-2006, 07:42 PM

51 L is correct.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM

One thing that affects gas mileage is the Air Conditioning. It's not well covered in the owner's manual but when the Climate Control (Mode Control) switch is set to Defrost or Mix, the A/C compressor is turned on to dehumidify the air to help dry the windshield. The A/C is on even if you haven't pushed the A/C button. See page 206 in Owner's manual.

If you leave the switch to Defrost or Mix all winter, you're also running the A/C all winter.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1J8
If you leave the switch to Defrost or Mix all winter, you're also running the A/C all winter.

Are you serious??
post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynight_x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1J8

Are you serious??
As I said, read the manual, page 206 where it says: "NOTE: The air conditioning compressor operates in both Mix and Defrost or a blend of these modes even if the Air Conditionong Snowflake button is not pressed. This dehumidifies the air to help dry the windshield. To improve fuel economy, use these modes only when necessary."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in