Stalls at red lights after filling up - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Stalls at red lights after filling up

I have a 2007 jeep compass and something strange has been happening lately. Right after I fill up with gas, when I stop at the first stop light, my jeep’s oil light comes on, and the jeep dies. It starts right back up but it has happened up to 3 times after a single fill up. Last night it happened 3 times at 3 consecutive stoplights. While stopped I was idling ~500rpm (this seems low since my jeep normally idles around 750rpm at a stop light) the oil light comes on and the jeeps sputtered out and died. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Sensor? Bad gas? It has happened after filling up at different gas stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 AM

we seem to be getting this issue posted alot lately..... Admins maybe make a sticky about this? Since your car is a 2007, i'd suggest doing the basics (if it hasnt already). Airfilter, fuel filter, spark plugs, check the belts replace them if needed, oil change. How many miles does the car have? has the car had any maintenance done to it?

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 AM

opinion

I am having the same issue. However, it has nothing to do when I just fill up with gas and my oil light doesn't come on. It seems to happen when I am low on gas. I replaced my 02 sensor and it seemed to work for a few days and ran like new. But I knew it was too good to last. It wanted to die at a stop light. It starts up again, but no check engine light nothing. I am hoping it is just something like the fuel system needs to be cleaned. No clue. I am about to give up and bring it in. I am sure they will find a $400 repair. It seems to be pretty standard with this Compass.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 75,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 PM

Hey guys, new here and I know this is an older thread, but just bought and 07 Jeep Compass. Filled it up, and encountered the same issue. Did anyone find a surefire way to get a handle on this issue?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2018, 03:15 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Noll View Post
Hey guys, new here and I know this is an older thread, but just bought and 07 Jeep Compass. Filled it up, and encountered the same issue. Did anyone find a surefire way to get a handle on this issue?
Think I responded to your other post, too. If its the rollover valve its integral to the fuel tank and that will be expensive. However, maybe you can get away with filling it really slowly and being careful not to fill it all the way.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeepDriver View Post
I have a 2007 jeep compass and something strange has been happening lately. Right after I fill up with gas, when I stop at the first stop light, my jeep’s oil light comes on, and the jeep dies. It starts right back up but it has happened up to 3 times after a single fill up. Last night it happened 3 times at 3 consecutive stoplights. While stopped I was idling ~500rpm (this seems low since my jeep normally idles around 750rpm at a stop light) the oil light comes on and the jeeps sputtered out and died. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Sensor? Bad gas? It has happened after filling up at different gas stations.
Check you EVAP Canister....Here a video with an idea, Hope this helps answer your question?
https://youtu.be/B7EcWwlhzBM
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie1979 View Post
I am having the same issue. However, it has nothing to do when I just fill up with gas and my oil light doesn't come on. It seems to happen when I am low on gas. I replaced my 02 sensor and it seemed to work for a few days and ran like new. But I knew it was too good to last. It wanted to die at a stop light. It starts up again, but no check engine light nothing. I am hoping it is just something like the fuel system needs to be cleaned. No clue. I am about to give up and bring it in. I am sure they will find a $400 repair. It seems to be pretty standard with this Compass.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 75,000

Do not overfill at the pumps..one click and stop. Fuel flows into the valve and viola..she stalls..

2nd Jeep....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in