Front diff/PTU - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front diff/PTU

Hello all,

I'm wondering if the man. transmission and the front diff/PTU have a shared sump? Meaning of course that the diff/PTU would share the fluid of the transmission. I can't remember exactly where I had read that, but I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm or deny those allegations?

Note: I tried checking the fluid of the front diff-upon pulling the fill plug, a whole bunch of transmission fluid poured out. I refilled the transmission the amount lost (~1qt).

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4 L 4x4
128000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.becker View Post
Hello all,

I'm wondering if the man. transmission and the front diff/PTU have a shared sump? Meaning of course that the diff/PTU would share the fluid of the transmission. I can't remember exactly where I had read that, but I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm or deny those allegations?

Note: I tried checking the fluid of the front diff-upon pulling the fill plug, a whole bunch of transmission fluid poured out. I refilled the transmission the amount lost (~1qt).

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4 L 4x4
128000km
Rarely shared. But now more importantly the CVT (assuming that what you have required CATF +4 fluid. Mopar specific and only the dealer has the fill level test dipstick for them at the moment. If you put in any other fluid you had better head down to the dealer for a fluid change. Even at $25 litre its better than wrecking the CVT which is massively expensive.

You need to verify in advance. Get manuals check with the dealer and not get into these costly situations.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, it's not a CVT. Probably should have specified that in my info stamp at the end, but I did mention it's a man. transmission at the beginning of my original post.

I also should have specified that the fluid I replaced with was the Mopar specific for my 5-speed. I had done my research too, learning from the Chrysler service manual I got online. It has somewhat basic instructions and line diagrams but everything is drawn proportionately, and for everything I had learned, what I was doing was appropriate.

It hasn't become a costly situation at this point, and after a recent visit to my local mechanic...there's nothing wrong with the transfer unit.

I appreciate your insight and I'm glad to see you have a keen eye for details and you seem to be one of those people that know to just do the job right the first time. Forums like this need more people like that.

Jeep Compass 2007
2.4 L 4X4 5 Spd.
128,000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM

What are the symtoms or fault you're chasing?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Please see: "high pitch whine from drivetrain" thread

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...rivetrain.html.

In there I describe my symptoms, and I was digging to see if there was something I could have done to cause them...upon talking to my mechanic, he let me know what it was and that the work I had done to the Jeep had nothing to do with the noise that had developed.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2012, 04:11 AM

Garage
High pitch whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.becker View Post
Please see: "high pitch whine from drivetrain" thread

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...rivetrain.html.

In there I describe my symptoms, and I was digging to see if there was something I could have done to cause them...upon talking to my mechanic, he let me know what it was and that the work I had done to the Jeep had nothing to do with the noise that had developed.
Ok so my2007, 4x4, 5 speed transmission also was whining between 35,00-51400 miles. My slave master cylinder went out not allowing me to have much of a clutch anymore and made the synchros go out in 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer is replacing my transmission under warranty with a newly styled transmission. Hopefully this whine goes away. This happened to me just last week. My Jeep is in the dealer as we speak. I'll let you know how it runs after I get it back on the 16th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in