Difference between 4wd switch and off road gear? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Difference between 4wd switch and off road gear?

This is probably a very silly question, but I can't find a decent explanation anywhere.

I've got a limited '12 with the freedom drive 2.

I'm entirely new to 4wd and jeeps, so I'm very willing to accept some jabs over this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams83 View Post
This is probably a very silly question, but I can't find a decent explanation anywhere.

I'm entirely new to 4wd and jeeps, so I'm very willing to accept some jabs over this.

Thanks!
They are two different things but are related to eachother. The 4wd switch simply locks your front and rear wheel drive to a 50/50 power ratio. When unlocked the jeep is AWD and the ratio changes based on road & driving conditions.

The off road gear is activated when you lock it in 4wd i.e 50/50 and put it in L or R, then the lower gear kicks in and gives you the "off road Gear"
post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Garage
Look around on this page. A lot of info here.

Explore Jeep Capabilities | 4x4 Off Road Guide | Jeep

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! If I'd had the time, I would have searched around, but I had to do it on my phone, instead. Snow on the ground and wanted an answer as quickly as I could get it.

I really appreciate the tips.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Well you learn or try and figure it out over time or sit back with a suitable beverage in hand and go through the owners manual. Yes, I always have and find out things I never would otherwise and that's new and used vehicles.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 AM

Garage
CVT FDII off roading

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams83 View Post

Thanks!
What FDII Off-Road means is the overrated snowmobile CVT pulleys stay at a 19:1 crawl ratio that allow you to keep the engine at a relatively low rpm and crawl over your obstacle instead of having the over rev the engine and spin the tires losing traction. Basically it's like have a low range transfer box without actually having one like what's on any other 4x4 truck.

The 5 speed manual transmission does not have this option unfortunately. I would be the one revving my engine and spinning my tires because there is not low range transfer case.

One thing you might want to know as well is how to turn traction control off. You should have a ESC switch. If you hit it once the Electric Stability Control turns off and if you hold it for 5 seconds you will hear a chime and hear the light on the dash comes on that tells you it's off. You have to be at a stop to activate that option but can be turned off at any speed. At 35 mph the ESC will automatically turn back on though.

GO OUT AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in