Clunk in 2009 Jeep Compass - 1st gear - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Clunk in 2009 Jeep Compass - 1st gear

I joined the message board this week, and took my new Jeep Compass into the shop after hearing a clunking noise when I start from 1st gear. The car is a 5 speed. I got the car back yesterday (Charlotte Keffer dealer) They reported (1) Improper torque - apply more torque to cradle bolts, (2) Lower control arm bolts

I drove the car last night and it was working fine. The dealer said that the rotors were slightly warped, causing the car to seize up a bit on stopping, but I didn't notice it myself, and did not have them turned.

Let us see how this car holds up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2009, 02:09 AM

Garage
Warped rotors on an '09?
They should change them for you gratis, especially becauce of he imporper torque issue.

Very interested to hear about any tranny issues associate with our 5-speeds.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Hello, I do not understand much about torque issues. They offered to turn the rotors, to grind them, not to replace them. Should I ask them to replace the rotors? Do you understand what what done... was this in the transmission?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Garage
Is your transmission PERFECT now?
I don't anything about the trouble you had . . . but so far as the brake issue goes, and I suppose likewise for the tranny, assuming the car is BRAND NEW, and not a low milage trade-in, EVERYTHING should be perfect. THAT IS 100% PERFECT!
I think that in consideration of the worry you had, and will always have about the transmission, your dealer should replace the warped rotors with BRAND NEW rotors, unless you have done like 5,000km or so and they then are fine to turn them for you.
That's my opinion.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #5 of 12 Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirl View Post
Hello, I do not understand much about torque issues. They offered to turn the rotors, to grind them, not to replace them. Should I ask them to replace the rotors? Do you understand what what done... was this in the transmission?

Thanks!
Sounds like the clunking you heard had nothing to do with the transmission at all. There have been some bulletins out on improperly torqued suspension components on the Compass,Caliber,Patriot. As far as the rotors go if they are willing to replace them or turn them down for free I would get it done. If you have less than 5000km on the car I would ask them to replace the rotors since they were the ones who brought it up. The transmission, brakes and suspension issues are not related to one another. One way rotors can become warped easily is if you drive with your foot constantly on the brake pedal. A little hard to do in a standard but it is possible. Also if you do a lot of emergency stops, hauling heavy loads could also cause rotor issues. Most times when they are fairly new the issue is they are not manufactured properly or someone dropped them during assembly at the factory.
Good luck
Wes
post #6 of 12 Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 AM

Rotors can also be improperly torqued which will warp the rotors. I would certainly ask the dealer to replace them. Going is good but stoping can be life saving.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassLimited View Post
Rotors can also be improperly torqued which will warp the rotors. I would certainly ask the dealer to replace them. Going is good but stoping can be life saving.
+1. It sounds like your rotors were over torqued when it was built so I think that the warranty should buy you new brake rotors, hopefully they are properly installed this time.

|
|
post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WemnbaibiaCab View Post
So I have developed a slight "clunk" noise in the front end when going over bumps, slow speed. Think parking lot speed bumps, off camber corners, etc. Nothing at speed. To me, with my limited ability, it sounds like a loose nut on a shock tower or some other connection point.

Id like to get inside the suspension and make sure everything is torqued to the correct specs, but need the specs and what to look for.

Is there any write up or manual that can guide me?
Many thanks
If.....indeed......this really is your problem.....could be a bad shock, but from what you are describing sounds like a bad sway bar bushing. Had it happen on my XJ, had the same noise and at low speeds. I heard mine more when going over potholes than bumps, so the shock was not in the "jounce" position. Replaced the front shocks, which actually were bad, worse on passenger side which is where the noise was coming from, but upon closer inspection found the rubber sway bar bushing was shot, so bad I didn't have to put a wrench on anything, just pulled it out in pieces.....

As far as manuals, I don't believe there are any Chiilton's/Hayne's type manuals out yet for the '09's, and I didn't have mine long enough to know if there is one out for '07-'08. Best way to go for tech manuals, IMO, is the factory service manual, most of which are available online and are downloadable in a pdf format.

However, on an '09, this should be considered warranty work, done at the dealer's/Chrysler's expense, unless you just insist on DIY.....

Hope this helps anyone who may need to know.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 11-14-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Just an FYI for those who may ACTUALLY have this problem!
post #9 of 12 Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Garage
Now that cherokee mentions it I recall seeing something about a swaybar nut needing tightening in the 2007 models. If this is your model and the dealership never did this repair then it's possible that's what it is. I'll take a look and see if I can find this bulletin and confirm it.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #10 of 12 Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirl View Post
I joined the message board this week, and took my new Jeep Compass into the shop after hearing a clunking noise when I start from 1st gear. The car is a 5 speed. I got the car back yesterday (Charlotte Keffer dealer) They reported (1) Improper torque - apply more torque to cradle bolts, (2) Lower control arm bolts

I drove the car last night and it was working fine. The dealer said that the rotors were slightly warped, causing the car to seize up a bit on stopping, but I didn't notice it myself, and did not have them turned.

Let us see how this car holds up!
Just took mine to the dealer yesterday for some clunking in the front and rear. New struts boots and control arms are on order for the front and rear. Only 12000k hope this isn't a sign of things to come!!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Garage
I'm at 25000K on my 09 and the only irritating problem I have is the boot for the shifter keeps splitting open. It's been about 5 months since I had it changed last and it's broken again.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 12 Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 AM

Ouch. Im just glad that my compass is holding together lol Havent had to service it yet, well except for the factory recall on the... control arm? Dont remember now, it was a while ago.

Run from me if you want to live.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in