2.4L 6-speed 2013 Compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2.4L 6-speed 2013 Compass

I have a 2013 compass Latitude 4x4 2.4L 6 speed transmission and I have an odd question.

Does the automatic transmission dislike 6th gear? It seems to not want to use the gear unless I manually move into the gear and if I do at a constant speed my rpm drop like a rock and my fuel economy goes higher.

Does the transmission need a certain speed in MPH/KPH to go into 6th or why would it avoid using it when I think it should?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderai View Post
I have a 2013 compass Latitude 4x4 2.4L 6 speed transmission and I have an odd question.

Does the automatic transmission dislike 6th gear? It seems to not want to use the gear unless I manually move into the gear and if I do at a constant speed my rpm drop like a rock and my fuel economy goes higher.

Does the transmission need a certain speed in MPH/KPH to go into 6th or why would it avoid using it when I think it should?

Thanks.
How did you get a 2013 Compass with a 6 speed auto??? Only the 2014 models should have the Hyundai sourced 6 speed automatic; the 2013 models should have the CVT (no gears).

Charles
Cairo, Georgia

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude aka the Train Chaser
Bright White/4x2/CVT/Dark Slate Gray interior

Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth-Uconnect® 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD-Security and Convenience Group

Mods: "Jeep" shift knob-Uniden BC125AT scanner
post #3 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 AM

I just purchased a new Jeep latitude Compass here last week in Western PA . I have a 2013 and if I use the auto stick I can shift all the way to a 6th gear also ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 AM

I just bought a 2014 compass 4x4 6speed it goes into sixth all the time but were usually doing 70 mph are more
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Garage
I also have the 2.4 6-speed auto and try this: Drive normally around 60 mph and note the RPM, mine is just a bit over 2K, then right-tap the gear shift so it goes into 6th gear - Notice the RPM jump up (at least mine does) which, to me, says that when in drive it is in like a 6 and a half gear (I know, not likely) but the jump in RPM does suggest a slightly higher gear is being used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Z_Statman
2015 Compass Latitude 4x4

=========================================
"The journey is the reward" (Steve Jobs 1983)
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBDFAN View Post
How did you get a 2013 Compass with a 6 speed auto??? Only the 2014 models should have the Hyundai sourced 6 speed automatic; the 2013 models should have the CVT (no gears).
My 2013 Compass sport is 6 speed auto aswell.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Garage
none of you 2013 owners have a 6 speed transmission. you have a CVT transmission with no gears in it at all. putting the car into autostick is simply locking the CVT into pre-set simulated gear ratios of 1-6. so to answer the OP's question, you actually don't have a 6th gear, by pushing the stick to the right, your transmission is simulating 6th gear.

this is what your transmission is doing:

post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Thats a good CVT video simulation.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Thats a good CVT video simulation.
someone on one of the Jeep forums posted that a while back, and i saved it because it's the best video i've ever seen that actually shows how the CVT works. it uses two cones to simulate the gear ratios, instead of having pre-determined gears in it like a conventional transmission. this is why when you take your compass out and floor it, the RPMs will shoot up to redline, but instead of dropping down into the next gear, they'll just stay there and you'll continue to accellerate. this is because the transmission is doing some of the work, as shown above.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
someone on one of the Jeep forums posted that a while back, and i saved it because it's the best video i've ever seen that actually shows how the CVT works. it uses two cones to simulate the gear ratios, instead of having pre-determined gears in it like a conventional transmission. this is why when you take your compass out and floor it, the RPMs will shoot up to redline, but instead of dropping down into the next gear, they'll just stay there and you'll continue to accelerate. this is because the transmission is doing some of the work, as shown above.
I experience the very high revving under load. I don't do the to the floor to accelerate. I go down a ways gradually be more quickly if I need to for on highway merging requiring 100km/hr speed. With my light converted tent trailer box which I've towed before but nothing in it of any consequence. Maybe 150lbs max. But this time I had my KingQuad ATV weighs about 700lb with full gas tank and lubed etc plus steel ramps. So it maybe 900lbs max and I found it rev very high often rather than lugging and pulling more. I my opinion it did not need to rev that high and was way above the power band of the engine. Acceleration was slow even at the high RPM's The CVT does not seem well suited for towing.

From another poster in australia says the Compass and I verified the website is rated at 1500kg which is considerably more than the North American version with the same power train. I cannot see how there can be such a big increase in that load spec. We get maybe 900Kg with a Engine cooler option kit and half that without it. From research I found there is in fact a CVT fluid cooler behind the AC condenser (which is good, happy to see that) I hope its getting enough air through.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in