08 Jeep Cpmpass CVT jerking - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

08 Jeep Cpmpass CVT jerking

Hello, I'm new to this forum. So I just bought an 08 Compass 2.4L 4x4 with the cvt. It has 100,000 miles on it. However, I've noticed that when cruising along everything is fine, but when I slow down (to turn, adjust to traffic, etc.) And get back in the throttle, my jeep jerks a couple of times upon accelerating. Is this a common issue? Any good ideas? I'm lost here. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 AM

The jerk is "throttle tip-in". From my understanding, the engine cuts power below 1,500 RPM to conserve fuel. When you drop below 1,500 RPM and press the accelerator again, the CVT "jerks" as it tries to adjust to the sudden increase in power. Just a quirk of the CVT. Mine is a lot less noticeable once the engine/CVT are at normal operating temperature.

Charles
Cairo, Georgia

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude aka the Train Chaser
Bright White/4x2/CVT/Dark Slate Gray interior

Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth-Uconnect® 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD-Security and Convenience Group

Mods: "Jeep" shift knob-Uniden BC125AT scanner
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Nope I don't agree. It should not do that at all. There have been numerous software updates to the computer and CVT management module. That should be the first thing is to have it updated (likely not at all). Fluid level confirmed as well. Both are dealer tasks however. I've been to hell and back with my CVT with troubles and eventually got a new one under warranty!

On another note the CVT fluid change is also likely due and not cheap at the dealers but few places have the data on changing it. I would not risk someone else unless they can prove beyond several shadows of doublt they know what they're doing. Thoses CVT are extremely expensive to replace. I know that in KM its around 120k so you miles is more and likely overdue. You can confirm with a dealer service department. Call more than one and see if you get the same answer if its not in the owners manual.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mine is 120,000 as well. I spoke to a couple of dealers, one of which said that I should try replacing the spark plugs first (Start cheap, and go from there), the other dealer wanted me to pay $425 for the service. It doesn't happen every time, only under certain circumstances.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM

I certain would agree with the plugs if they not been changed recently. 4 plugs not costly and its easy to do in the driveway. You need a long extension forthe socket and a three point extension reaching gaget with a fingered claw on the end to grip the plug if you need to pull it out. (If your socket still has the sponge in it and hangs on to it when its loss you're lucky) Some dollar stores sell them as well as version with magnets on the end but they're a fexible tool pickup device.

Do one plug at a time. You can pop the long wire extension tube free but leave them in the hole. Clean, wipe or blow any crud off the top of the head cover first so it does not end up in the any of the spark plug wells and then it will get into the cylinder when you pull the plug.

As for the CVT service thats high. Last I heard it was in the $200 range since the fluid is about $50 if I recall. I would still look and call around for that.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM

2008 Compass CVT maintenance

You should change the automatic transmission fluid & filter every 120,000 miles (200,000 kilometers) or 120 months, whichever occurs first.

(The only exception is if the Compass is used for police, taxi, fleet or frequent trailer towing. Not many are. Then you should change the fluid & filter every 60,000 miles (100,000 km) or 60 months, whichever occurs first.)
post #7 of 8 Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RittallD442 View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum. So I just bought an 08 Compass 2.4L 4x4 with the cvt. It has 100,000 miles on it. However, I've noticed that when cruising along everything is fine, but when I slow down (to turn, adjust to traffic, etc.) And get back in the throttle, my jeep jerks a couple of times upon accelerating. Is this a common issue? Any good ideas? I'm lost here. Any advice would be appreciated.
RittallD442, did replacing the CVT filter and fluid solve the problem? I have a similar issue and we tried replacing the spark plugs but the jerking just happened again.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 PM

2008 Jeep Compass Transmission Jerk

Hello, I hope your day is going well. My 2008 compass after reaching cruising speed, any speed, if I accelerate, or slow down then accelerate, jerks frequently during acceleration. Any thoughts on what this might be? Does disconnecting the battery reset the computer and help?

I have the rusty cross member issue, how can I send you my vin and see if there is any help?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in